Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC button not working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that the button on the plug of the wall connector should pop the charge door as well as release the plug from the charge port, correct?

Mine does neither.

Do I have to program it to my car or anything? Currently, I have to open the door by pushing on it, or opening it from inside or the app, then when charging is done, I have the cancel or release the plug from inside otherwise it cannot be removed from the charge port.

Thoughts?

It doesn't need to be programmed for the car - one button will open all Tesla charge port doors.

The transmitters occasionally go bad, it's integrated into the charge handle. Try holding it just above the liftgate glass, pointing it at the glass, and hitting the button to see if it opens.

If that doesn't work, plug your UMC into a 120V receptacle and see if the button on it works - if so, you'll need your WC cable replaced, otherwise, the receiver / antenna in the car need to be checked out.

FlasherZ understood that you were referring to your wall charger. He wanted you to try your UMC to see if that worked. If it doesn't then your car receiver is probably the issue. If it does work then your wall charger is probably bad.

Currently, I have to open the door by pushing on it, or opening it from inside or the app, then when charging is done, I have the cancel or release the plug from inside otherwise it cannot be removed from the charge port.

Until you get it fixed, you can also press and hold the trunk on your key to pop the door open, and again to remove the plug when charging is complete.

I reported the same problem to Tesla almost two months ago. The HPWC at the local service center worked as it should, so I drove a loaner home to test my HPWC....the button didn't work, confirming that it was a problem with my HPWC, not the car.

Reminded them several weeks ago that this was still a problem I was waiting to be addressed, still haven't heard back.

Mine has worked a couple times now, but occasionally I do have to hold it up by the back window and push the button several times. The transmitter must be weak. I still haven't tested out the UMC since I'm lazy and don't want to have to coil it back up. Ha!

Mine has worked a couple times now, but occasionally I do have to hold it up by the back window and push the button several times. The transmitter must be weak. I still haven't tested out the UMC since I'm lazy and don't want to have to coil it back up. Ha!

My guess is that you have a weak transmitter inside the HPWC cord. My very first UMC had that problem in 2012; you had to practically lay the coupler onto the glass, then push the button to make it open. They replaced the UMC and bingo - in business. In your case, they'll likely come replace the HPWC cable and you'll be set.