Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC charging speed for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my HPWC almost 3.5 years ago for my old Model S.
I was able to charge my Model S at 63 mi/hr at 80amps
Apparently I can only charge my new Model X at 72amps max.

To 72 A or not to 72 A?

How fast is the maximum I can charge my Model X theoretically? 51 mi/hr?
Why can't the Model X charge at 80a?
Tried charging at 72amps yesterday and only charged at 36 mi/hr. Why?

What is everyone else's experience charging their MX at 72A?

And the MS goes farther per kWh than the MX, so comparing mi/hr is unfair to the chargers.

Still, your difference seems larger than these differences would suggest.

Also make sure you are looking at rated miles, not mile based on your last xx miles of driving. I'm not yet an owner yet, so I'm not sure which way the mi/hr is calculated.

If you look at miles per hour of charge @ 240V 72A you'll find varying values depending on the model of the car, ie a X75D will appear to charge more miles per hour than a P90D. The quantity of energy going into the battery in a given time is the same but a 75D drives more miles with it. That been said a 90D should show 46 to 47 miles per hour of charge @ 72A, a bit less for a P90D, a bit more for a 75D.

Now there are other reasons why you saw less, like:
- your voltage may be lower than 240V, it can fluctuate down to 210-220V
- if its cold when you start to charge, part of the energy may go into warming up the car and the battery which is not insignificant - wait half an hour and check back it may have increased

Was the 36 mph number immediately after you plugged in? It takes a few minutes for the mph to ramp up. I usually get 47 mph with my 72 amp charging at ~236 V. If you are really getting 36 mph, then your voltage would have to be around 180 which sounds unlikely.

Pretty steady at 50mph

Attachments

• IMG_7154.PNG
    IMG_7154.PNG
    310.1 KB · Views: 113
Hardware limited. Software limited 48A was only for X's built before mid March.
Thank you for continuing to get this out there. I just found someone else in another thread saying the chargers were software limited, and I had to give the link to your really great comment in another thread where you laid out all of the time periods and model types that had hardware or software differences.