Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charging rate dropped between cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A local Tesla Service center couldn't explain the following...
I bought 2016 Model X 90D (VIN 004864) and pre installed an original wall charger. It always charged at 72amps (~45 miles/ hour).
This month, I traded the car for a 2020 Model X long range. It maxes out at 48amps (~32 miles/hour).
It isn't a critical problem for me, but it is an annoyance not to understand why. Any help out there?
tesla.jpg

I too am very disappointed that the service center could not immediately answer this! My 2019 Model X is in for service as we speak, and things like this make me wonder the knowledge level of the staff.

You best hang on to that Wall Connector, as I suspect new ones will only support 48 Amps and require a 60 Amp circuit.

Its has also been five years since any Tesla AC charged at over 48 amps.
”Those know nothing young whippersnappers don’t even know about the very FIRST Tesla charging network of 70A custom Roadster chargers. Superchargers! Ha, what luxury. … grumble, grumble.”

”Yes gramps, it’s OK, you wanna watch the video of Elon handing out keys for the first Roadster delivery again?”

Thanks to all who responded. Your suspicions regarding the SC staff are justified... There isn't much institutional history being passed on to these guys. I admit I had forgotten about the dual chargers. They were a$1,000 add-on called "High Amperage Charger Upgrade". So, Tesla increases the range and slows down the home charging. That's logical in some universe.

Thanks to all who responded. Your suspicions regarding the SC staff are justified... There isn't much institutional history being passed on to these guys. I admit I had forgotten about the dual chargers. They were a$1,000 add-on called "High Amperage Charger Upgrade". So, Tesla increases the range and slows down the home charging. That's logical in some universe.
It’s a cost cutting move. Yes, it removes functionality, but it is functionality that isn't often used, and can be buttressed by using Superchargers. It makes perfect sense to me. Tesla is on a relentless cost cutting mission to expand access to EVs. A feature that is used .01% of the time is ripe for cost cutting.

Reactions: taldric
I too am very disappointed that the service center could not immediately answer this! My 2019 Model X is in for service as we speak, and things like this make me wonder the knowledge level of the staff.
I think that's kind of misdirection. This isn't so much about lack of knowledge. It's lack of OLD knowledge that isn't applicable anymore. Most of the staff are recent hires in the last few years, and that's a tough ask to expect them to backfill with all of that catalog of the old details from 5-10 years ago.

If they get a car in for repair on something like this, then they will look up the parts and repair procedure for it and will learn about those things at that point, but it doesn't surprise me that most of them don't just have all this stuff off the top of their heads by default.

Actually, it sounds like you had the "High Amperage Charger Upgrade" which maxed out at 72A on your previous vehicle, and if you didn't have that, it would have also charged at 48A. However, prior to that, they offered a dual charger upgrade which would charge at 80A, and without it you would be limited to 40A. I guess that's pretty much trivia at this point, but if you ever get a really old loaner and see it jump up to 80A (or max out at 40A), that's what's going on.

I guess that's pretty much trivia at this point,
Model X never had a dual charger option. It was the first Tesla to use the (at the time) new 48amp on board charger. They also had a 72amp option which came slightly later.

Take a fun walk down memory lane:

• Informative
Reactions: mxnym
Model X never had a dual charger option. It was the first Tesla to use the (at the time) new 48amp on board charger. They also had a 72amp option which came slightly later.

Take a fun walk down memory lane:
You are correct, however, when I said "prior to that," I didn't explicitly state "on an X." I also proceeded to specifically refer to "really old" loaners. In that context, I felt I had implied "not 3/X/Y." Anyway, thank you for clarifying my post.

Reactions: Rocky_H