TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

HPWC connected with a plug to a NEMA 14-50

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Ohm's Law, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Ohm's Law

Ohm's Law Member

Will a HPWC crimped with a plug to a NEMA 14-50 socket be safe? I am worried about heat, stability, breaker tripping, fire under 40 Amps

This way the NEMA 14-50 can be used as a backup in case the HPWC fails; anyone know the warranty on the HPWC?
    HPWC to NEMA.jpg

-OL

2. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

I'm sure you will have your answer in a Flash(erZ).

(That's a good thing, he's been to go-to guy for all things home power wise, check out his FAQs)

FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure QA

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

There's a question specifically about that in the FAQ. Bottom line is that it isn't necessarily unsafe when properly provisioned and installed with the correct clamps, strain relief, torque, etc.

However, your installation is illegal. NEC 625 requires the unprotected (NEMA 14-50 side) portion of the power cable to be 12" or less.

FWIW, Tesla's position is that the HPWC is intended for permanent wiring methods only. For now, inspectors will likely consider it legal (as long as cord is < 12") because there are no explicit instructions in the installation guide requiring permanent wiring methods, but Tesla has told me that they are likely to change that in the future. They are concerned that longer lengths of 14-50 cord will tear live conductors out of the side of the HPWC. To me, that's not so much of a risk as physical damage to the live cord from tools.

HPWC warranty is 1 year unless purchased with the car, in which case it's covered under the car's warranty.

4. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Being out of spec with the NEC does not make something illegal.

5. Emobile

Emobile Member

This looks suspiciously like the one in my garage...

20150601_165319_zps2wb1mhtw.jpg

6. FlasherZ

#6 FlasherZ, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    In most jurisdictions, it is, indeed, illegal.

In fact, in some jurisdictions, it's more than a citable offense - it's a misdemeanor.

In most jurisdictions, there is generally a law or ordinance that states all construction must comply with the NEC. Village 5 miles from me allows for citation to be issued for each day the NEC is violated, fine of up to $750 per day per offense. I've pointed out some cities in the US where it's considered a misdemeanor, punishable with jail time and fines.

One example of local municipal code:
    Or, Olympia, WA:

7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

I thought it looked really familiar. I'll ask you then. Is there any reason you didn't rotate the 14-50 socket 180 degrees and just attach a short (12" or so) cable to the HPWC and mount it directly above the 14-50 socket?

8. Emobile

Emobile Member

Did I say it looks like mine? What I meant to say it looks like a guy I know who knows a guy who it looks like what he has...

- - - Updated - - -

The guy I know who knows a guy that has this in his garage already had the 14-50 socket there for his welder, and installed it with a 6' pigtail. Since he backs his S into the garage, the charger door is directly underneath the charger wand.

9. AmpedRealtor

I just know that I sell houses all the time where something or another is not "up to code", and it's never an issue and certainly doesn't rise to a criminal offense. People DIY stuff all the time, not that they should, but I've never heard of anyone being criminally liable for a bad DIY job. I simply find it difficult to believe that altering your house in a way that is "not up to code" is a criminal offense. Since when do we live in a police state?

I am not in a position to dispute the citations you've provided, I am in shock.

10. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

I don't think it's so much about it being a criminal offense more than it is about liability and how your homeowners insurance may react to such things, etc, etc...

While I don't doubt that some places may take this very seriously as a criminal issue, I would be more concerned about my liability.

Jeff

11. FlasherZ

That misdemeanor provision is pretty rare; but citations aren't rare at all. They're just like speeding tickets - citable infractions. Of course, enforcement is another matter.

Even my county, which doesn't require permits or inspections for electrical work, has an ordinance mandating adherence to the NEC and spells out penalties for non-compliance in the form of citations. As to how they find out? Well, that's another matter. In nearly every jurisdiction in the US, whether at state, county, or municipal level, violating the NEC is unlawful.

12. AmpedRealtor

Very good information, thanks! :)