Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC dip switch confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my car on Sunday (yea!). In the detail shop for Xpel on Monday and Tuesday. Electricians worked Tuesday and Wednesday on the HPWC. Bit of job due to long run under the house and then through a trench with a 90 degree angle to avoid landscaping and get to the detached garage. Finally, though, had the car on Wednesday when they powered up the HPWC. All good except it's only drawing 40 amps and I can't raise it. I suggested maybe it was dip switches ad sure enough they hadn't looked at those. They set the dip switches to the settings for a 100 amp breaker but the car was still drawing 40 amps. Reset both the breaker and the HPWC and still no joy. The electrician notices that the dip switch positions for 40 amp and 100 amp breakers are opposite, so he switches them. Voila, the car now draws 80 amps and is continuing to do so. What's up with that?

Got my car on Sunday (yea!). In the detail shop for Xpel on Monday and Tuesday. Electricians worked Tuesday and Wednesday on the HPWC. Bit of job due to long run under the house and then through a trench with a 90 degree angle to avoid landscaping and get to the detached garage. Finally, though, had the car on Wednesday when they powered up the HPWC. All good except it's only drawing 40 amps and I can't raise it. I suggested maybe it was dip switches ad sure enough they hadn't looked at those. They set the dip switches to the settings for a 100 amp breaker but the car was still drawing 40 amps. Reset both the breaker and the HPWC and still no joy. The electrician notices that the dip switch positions for 40 amp and 100 amp breakers are opposite, so he switches them. Voila, the car now draws 80 amps and is continuing to do so. What's up with that?

***DELETED POST*** (I mis-read)

Last edited:
What's up with that?

This has long been a confusing journey for many people over the years that DIP switches have been around. My garage door opener has DIP switches that are on when they're down. Of course you have to get up close to see the arrow with "ON" pointing downward. There are "rocker" DIP switches where the part of the rocker pushed in to the DIP switch case means "off" but intuitively you'd think it was on, from a push-button perspective.

I can tell you from my experience in installing several that the manual is correct, it just may be that your electrician had misinterpreted which way was "on" vs. "off"...

or... even if not, who knows, maybe the DIP switch matrix was mounted upside down by the contract manufacturer.

Glad you found the problem.

I can also confirm that the DIP switches in the manual are indeed correct as I just installed a HPWC last week. Did the electrician run through the test mode phase first (which I believe is the default settings for the DIP switches from the factory). If I remember correctly, you have to switch the bottom three switches from the default position to select 100 Amp breaker.

I can also confirm that the DIP switches in the manual are indeed correct as I just installed a HPWC last week. Did the electrician run through the test mode phase first (which I believe is the default settings for the DIP switches from the factory). If I remember correctly, you have to switch the bottom three switches from the default position to select 100 Amp breaker.

And then Cycle the power to finalize the dip settings. Many have not cycled power.

it just may be that your electrician had misinterpreted which way was "on" vs. "off"...

This is my favorite theory and I think the most logical one. Unfortunately, I didn't get a close pic or look at it and now I would prefer not to crack it open again to further investigate.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, it was inconceivable to me that the manual was incorrect after all this time and all these installs. I didn't see him run through the test mode. He might have, but if he did we probably wouldn't have had the confusion.

- - - Updated - - -

And then Cycle the power to finalize the dip settings. Many have not cycled power.

That we did do.