Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC + New FLIR ONE for iOS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pgiralt

Supporting Member
Jun 16, 2013
Cary, NC
Last week FLIR started shipping their new version of the FLIR ONE for iOS. This one is compatible with iPhone 6 and will soon be shipping a version for Android as well. I bought it to keep an eye on temperatures with my HPWC in addition to other household uses. How does this $250 FLIR compare to the $1000+ models? It's certainly not as good, but I think it does a really good job for what I need it for.

For one thing, it's actually very small. Smaller than I thought from looking at the photos. It has its own battery, so doesn't drain the phone's battery.

The first thing I decided to do was use the Time Lapse feature to take a time lapse of the car charging. Unfortunately, the battery on my phone was running low and keeping it running a time lapse sucks up a ton of battery, so the video got cut short when the low battery warning popped up on the screen. That said, here's my first attempt at a time lapse. I like how you can see the wires twisted inside the HPWC cable start heating up (apologies for the vertical video... I should know better):

I recently had the charge port on my car and the cable on my HPWC replaced because it was getting really hot (over 175 degrees near the handle) plus I was having issues where moving the cable even a little bit would cause charging to stop momentarily. The service center replaced both just to be on the safe side even though they couldn't reproduce the problem at the service center. Here is the new cable/charge port combination after 30 minutes of charging:

IMG_9049.JPG
IMG_9052.JPG

I'm very happy with the FLIR ONE and I'm sure I'll find all sorts of uses for it.

Last edited by a moderator: