Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC / UMC2 to Roadster adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yours is a 2.0 or 2.5?

Tesla 940 has a 2.0 but the PEM is the same as a 2.5. I wish I could do more testing with both of these cars but I don't live near either one. They both have the most recent FW installed. I think each car has a different issue but I can't say for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

...Tesla service assures me that I have the latest FW but I don't have the ability to independently verify that. :crying:

I verified it by watching the video of your car's behavior when you tried to charge.

Henry, I am pretty sure the fault lies in our car (probably a ground fault leak above the threshold of the HPWC in either the PEM or HV controller). I am waiting for the TSC. It still charges just fine off the UMC at 40 amps and off a J1772.

You are welcome to come on out here to get away from all the snow & cold weather. Today's high was in the upper 60's to low 70's (plus I am 20 minutes away from Tahoe).

Last edited:
Come on out!

Henry, I am pretty sure the fault lies in our car (probably a ground fault leak above the threshold of the HPWC in either the PEM or HV controller). I am waiting for the TSC. It still charges just fine off the UMC at 40 amps and off a J1772.

You are welcome to come on out here to get away from all the snow & cold weather. Today's high was in the upper 60's to low 70's (plus I am 20 minutes away from Tahoe).

Your welcome to come to Long Beach, we are only a few minutes away from a large body of water - sometimes call the Pacific Ocean! Rarely hot, but never really cold. :biggrin:

Your welcome to come to Long Beach, we are only a few minutes away from a large body of water - sometimes call the Pacific Ocean! Rarely hot, but never really cold. :biggrin:

I'd love to go to both places, but we've had a lot of snow this year and... well... when the skiing is this good it's hard to leave! :cool: (Just got back from playing in the white stuff!) Thanks for the invites!:smile:

Henry I know that it's been said before but YOU ROCK!!! Think about how you've changed the quality of life for us Roadster owners: CAN 1 allows us to charge up at a J1772 station without having to lug that long OEM adapter which would take up much needed space in the trunk; CAN 2 allows us to pull up to any SC or mall with a TESLA store and use their MS charger. I mean really amazing and wonderful stuff! You have made yourself available to me by phone when needed. I really hope to meet you in person one day and give you a big hug (assuming you'd be ok with that!)

The Model S UMC is so long, it must take up quite a bit of the Roadster's limited trunk space. Certainly nice to have on road trips, but you must really travel light.

Ha - it's a LOT better than the Roadster UMC, which pretty much takes up the entire trunk. I usually use a 14-50 or 6-50 when I go north to a cottage, the Model S UMC will make those trips much easier.

I would like a CAN SR too please - do i assume that one can simply plug a tethered Type 2 charger plug into it without any other interface?

How soon is it possible to get hold of one to a USA address please?

And THANK YOU for making this!

PS I am a UK owner though in the USA from time to time, and have a Roadster 2.5 as of 10 days ago. From TM, one previous owner, and the firmware is the very latest.
PPS On reflection, is the SR charger side socket compatible with the UK Model S Type 2 charger? It occurs to me that you probably have a different Model S connector in the USA, in which case I would need the JR CAN and then I would create a Type 2 to J lead for the UK.

Last edited:
PS I am a UK owner though in the USA from time to time, and have a Roadster 2.5 as of 10 days ago. From TM, one previous owner, and the firmware is the very latest.
PPS On reflection, is the SR charger side socket compatible with the UK Model S Type 2 charger? It occurs to me that you probably have a different Model S connector in the USA, in which case I would need the JR CAN and then I would create a Type 2 to J lead for the UK.

You are correct the CAN SR is made for the US spec Model S connector (single phase). You are also correct that you can use the CAN JR with a EU Type 2 to Type 1 cable to charge at the tethered 64A and 70A stations that are being installed in the UK and Europe. I wish North America would go in that direction (70, 80A AC) instead of DC for most J1772 over 32A. You are lucky to have 3ph over there which is almost equivalent to CHAdeMO for power when you get up to 63A.

It's hard to find Type 2 to Type 1 cables rated for more than 32A but Kevin Sharpe might know where to get one if his charity doesn't sell them. I'm also considering making an adapter to use with those tethered 64A charging stations.

You are correct the CAN SR is made for the US spec Model S connector (single phase). You are also correct that you can use the CAN JR with a EU Type 2 to Type 1 cable to charge at the tethered 64A and 70A stations that are being installed in the UK and Europe. I wish North America would go in that direction (70, 80A AC) instead of DC for most J1772 over 32A. You are lucky to have 3ph over there which is almost equivalent to CHAdeMO for power when you get up to 63A.

It's hard to find Type 2 to Type 1 cables rated for more than 32A but Kevin Sharpe might know where to get one if his charity doesn't sell them. I'm also considering making an adapter to use with those tethered 64A charging stations.
thank you - please let me know if you do decide to make such an adapter as it would save the intermediate cable though I suppose there is quite a long R&D time?

Just want to say thank you to hcsharp for the adapter!! It has been working great and has made things a lot easier charging between the Model S and the Roadster!! The only problem I have is what to do with all my Roadster charging cables!! ;)

As a new Roadster owner, I want to clarify that the CAN SR is for use with a "standard" S connectors (Mobile Connector or Wall Connector), but will not work with a Tesla Supercharger. I'm also assuming that the Tesla Supercharging stations only have Superchargers available. So, if I had an S and a Roadster and wanted to buy a single Wall Connector OR if I had a network of friends with the Model S, then the CAN SR would be the way to go. If this is not the case, but I wanted to make use of some public J1772 charging stations then the CAN JR would be the way to go. Considering only the US here.

As a new Roadster owner, I want to clarify that the CAN SR is for use with a "standard" S connectors (Mobile Connector or Wall Connector), but will not work with a Tesla Supercharger. I'm also assuming that the Tesla Supercharging stations only have Superchargers available. So, if I had an S and a Roadster and wanted to buy a single Wall Connector OR if I had a network of friends with the Model S, then the CAN SR would be the way to go. If this is not the case, but I wanted to make use of some public J1772 charging stations then the CAN JR would be the way to go. Considering only the US here.

Correct bpangburn, The CAN SR will charge with the standard S connector and also HPWC. There are multiple public places with HPWC's. It will NOT work with Superchargers.
If you find yourself doing a lot of public charging then the CAN JR would be what you need.