Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC / UMC2 to Roadster adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about low line voltage? Would that cause it? I'm also parking at a different outlet that is slightly farther from the breaker box. The car registers 208-209v.

Showing a voltage of 208-209 means the circuit is getting power from a three phased circuit. Most of the Tesla stores are three phase and I've not had any trouble charging at them.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Does anyone know the minimum voltage? Will it charge on any voltage from 240 - 110? Or will it fail at some point between 208 and 110.

The range is about 107 to 127, and then about 193 to 251. I would think a line sync error would be caused by sagging voltage on one leg compared to the other. 208 - 209 is actually pretty good for a 3-phase location. Is that what you get after it starts charging?

Came upon my first issue: a local destination HPWC was replaced after going faulty. Tried to charge my Roadster today and got a blue ring followed by white then red. The VDS indicated "DMC FW: HCS Faulted Warning". The location is known to have fluctuating voltage but it usually hovers around the high 190s.

Wasn't a critical time for me to charge so no big issue but any advice understanding it is appreciated.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Came upon my first issue: a local destination HPWC was replaced after going faulty. Tried to charge my Roadster today and got a blue ring followed by white then red. The VDS indicated "DMC FW: HCS Faulted Warning". The location is known to have fluctuating voltage but it usually hovers around the high 190s.

Wasn't a critical time for me to charge so no big issue but any advice understanding it is appreciated.

View attachment 88794

I had the exact same error as you and I worked with Henry on it to determine the issue. The Model S charges fine on my home HPWC but once I used the adapter and plugged into the roadster that fault came up with the same red ring. I had Tesla change out the HPWC and now both the Model S and Roadster charges fine on it. Definitely a charger but how to tell Tesla to change it out if it works with the Model S I don't know. The faulty charger was a Rev B also and they replaced it with a Rev A which works.

It's almost certainly a charger problem. If it was just installed, the sooner you or the host calls Tesla the more likely they are to replace it. Next time you try it with your Roadster pay attention to the fault code that the charger blinks out with its red LED. It repeats every error with a pause in between. For example you might see 2 blinks, then pause, then 5 blinks to indicate two different error codes.

At this point I have reached the end of my reservation list. So if you think you should have got one but didn't, let me know. There were several people who didn't respond when I contacted them. I assumed they no longer wanted one. If that's not the case, let me know.

Thanks to everybody who bought one and helped make this a reality.

At this point I have reached the end of my reservation list. So if you think you should have got one but didn't, let me know. There were several people who didn't respond when I contacted them. I assumed they no longer wanted one. If that's not the case, let me know.

Did any of the service centers pick up one or two of the adapters?

The Torrance one was talking about it...

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, how many did you end up making? Mine is charging my car every day!

Model S to Roadster adapter

I just got mine. Thanks!

Very professional product for those considering getting one. Wish I had bought the J1772 one as well but already had the bulky Tesla one.

Did any of the service centers pick up one or two of the adapters?

The Torrance one was talking about it...

Torrance has one and there are two others. Several others have asked me to let them know when it's available but I wanted to get through the backlog first. A couple of Techs bought one with their own money. It surprises me that a LOT of service centers can't charge a Roadster at more than 40A, and many of them can't charge a Roadster at all! A good many only have one bay where they can work on a Roadster due to lack of charging which makes scheduling and logistics difficult.

In all fairness to Tesla Service, most service centers are not aware of the CAN SR or that they can buy one now.

Torrance has one and there are two others. Several others have asked me to let them know when it's available but I wanted to get through the backlog first. A couple of Techs bought one with their own money. It surprises me that a LOT of service centers can't charge a Roadster at more than 40A, and many of them can't charge a Roadster at all! A good many only have one bay where they can work on a Roadster due to lack of charging which makes scheduling and logistics difficult.

In all fairness to Tesla Service, most service centers are not aware of the CAN SR or that they can buy one now.

In all fairness, not all centers have "Roadster" guys who are familiar with the car. A lot of these guys have been promoted to "foremen" or above. If they're still working at Tesla.

Does this mean there are no more to be had? Or just that you've cleared your backorders and can ship new orders immediately?

I've been on the fence about ordering one since your started this project. Don't have a definite NEED for it right now but, if it's a now-or-never type of situation, I'll order!

I want to say a big thank you to you! When I tell others about the good people in the Roadster community, you are a shining star.

Yes! Thanks, Henry. I have to say I used both of Henry's CAN products regularly the past few weeks at home while Clipper Creek was repairing my HPC circuit board. We have a HPWC for the Model S so I was charging off the CAN 2. We also have a 30 amp J1772 so when the Model S got home I switched to the original CAN.

Both products are essential Roadster accessories!

The Roadster community can't thank you enough.