Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD or no HUD? Gimmick or really useful feature? Worth giving up free supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm trying to decide if waiting for the likely release of a HUD is worth doing or if I should snag a bargain basement 60 now with free lifetime supercharging.

The appeal of unlimited free supercharging is SOOO appealing - even though it's incredibly irrational for my brain to place so much emphasis on it. Even supercharging once per week for 5 years at $7 of electricity per charge yields less than $2,000 in value vs charging at home. Yet it is strangely appealing because it seems like the magical endless gas tank.

I digress. I've never felt a need for a HUD really, though I have felt the very strong need for more range and self driving.

But iI think AP 3.0 is likely to arrive 24-36 months from now along with a luxury reclining driver seat for sleeping in and likely a 400 mile battery - and I know I will be getting one of those and then probably keeping it 10 years like my prior cars - so this AP 2.0 Tesla is probably a short term purchase. Given that, free supercharging doesn't really matter.

Thing is - do I want HUD? Do you?

Reactions: Electric700
As with the Apple products that I find myself buying with frustrating frequency, there will always be something interesting in the pipeline.

So for me the v2 hardware and unlimited supercharging was too much of a temptation so I'm in the process of trading my "old" (2015) S for a new one.

Maybe I'll do the same in a few years when the flying Tesla is released. :)

Reactions: JPUConn
So for me the v2 hardware and unlimited supercharging was too much of a temptation so I'm in the process of trading my "old" (2015) S for a new one. Maybe I'll do the same in a few years when the flying Tesla is released. :)

Yeah me too - AP 2.0 and unlimited supercharging are much bigger features in my book than a HUD. Of course Elon keeps proving me wrong so maybe the HUD will be something I kick myself for missing out on.

Holy cow... AP 2.0 was just released and AFAIK, there's been no mention of AP 3.0, but we're already speculating when v3 will be released??? Also, is there any evidence that a HUD is in the works for models other than Model 3? Or did I accidentally time travel to 2018?

The logic for a HUD showing up in Model S in 2017 prior to Model 3 deliveries is as follows Hank - and it is the same logic that was used to correctly predict AP 2.0's 2016 release (which so many folks were sure was not imminent despite all signs pointing to "go" and were subsequently proven so hilariously wrong):

1 - Model 3 will include a HUD. Evidence: A) Elon's claim of "spaceship" controls. B) absence of any physical screen in front of the driver on all Model 3 pictures so far. C) Tesla's hiring of high profile employees Microsoft's Hololens group.
2 - Elon is so far sticking to his claim that the first Model 3's will be released by end of 2017.
3 - Elon and JB have publicly maintained that S/X will always be the technology leaders of the line-up.
4 - Model 3 Reveal Part 3 is coming this spring according to Elon.
5 - To reveal a big upcoming technology feature in Model 3 without simultaneously releasing it as a shippable feature in Model S/X would immediately tank/Osborne S/X sales. Elon does not want to tank Model S/X sales.
6 - Telling everybody quite loudly that Unlimited Supercharging is ending December 31 is clearly a move to juice 4Q 2016 sales - and since we know Elon wants to continue on a growth path he must therefore have some "feature rabbit" up his sleeve to keep S/X sales on an upward or at least flat trajectory as Model 3 deliveries loom every closer during 2017.

Conclusion - a HUD or Augmented Reality is probably in store for S/X this spring or summer.

Last edited:
@HankLloydRight - As for AP 3.0 speculation - of course we are! Heh. But seriously we now have at least one data point to go off - roughly 24 months elapsed between AP 1.0 hardware's release and AP 2.0's release. 24-36 months from now Tesla will have a billion miles or more of real world AP 2.0 data and a good idea of what, if any, corner cases need more sensors and/or cpu power to handle. Nvidia has already stated that one year from now its Xavier hardware will process 20 trillion operations per second as opposed to the 12 trillion operations per second in current Teslas. Maybe it will be needed if Tesla adds even more sensors - longer range radar, thermal imaging cameras, LIDAR, etc.

And finally, the next very logical step in self driving is a reclining driver's seat with leg and foot rests for long distance travel. Tesla has clearly grabbed the self driving lead in the industry. They claim current hardware is good enough for full self driving at 2X safety of an average human driver. Therefore 24-36 months from now I predict it is reasonable and logical to expect they will take the next leap - make a claim of 10X the safety of human drivers - and sell a full "go to sleep" luxury mobile - which will keep them ahead of every other carmaker's offerings.

THAT is the vehicle I will personally be willing to spend $150K+ on for luxury, silence and the largest possible battery. In the mean time I'm keeping my Tesla purchases low-spec in anticipation of a pretty near trade-in on the ultimate personal travel machine. We're talking essentially a luxury overnight train compartment as you travel long distances while sleeping, auto-charging along the way. 500-1000 miles in one overnight leap become realistic. Overnight ski trip from L.A. to Utah for fresh powder without having to schlep my gear through an airport and TSA nightmare is now on the menu. The future is exciting!

My 2 cents:

I would not buy a Tesla until the final Model 3 reveal. The AP2 announcement was brutal to those who had just ordered and caused regret by many. That is a lesson we should learn from as I think the HUD will be spectacular and blow away previous examples.

Reactions: cdub
@mocity - you're probably right about the HUD. I am not sure I want one though - looking out my windshield is one of the last views in life not invaded by electronic displays. I get the benefits - but that will be the end of peacefully looking out the world out the window. You'll NEVER be able to get away from Facebook notifications lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Magus
@mocity - you're probably right about the HUD. I am not sure I want one though - looking out my windshield is one of the last views in life not invaded by electronic displays. I get the benefits - but that will be the end of peacefully looking out the world out the window. You'll NEVER be able to get away from Facebook notifications lol.
Ok then wait for HUD and get a discount on a non HUD model.. not sure I understand.

Also my guess for HUD is after April 1 factory shut down. So around April 15th announcements.

@mocity -m you're probably right about the HUD. I am not sure I want one though - looking out my windshield is one of the last views in life not invaded by electronic displays. I get the benefits - but that will be the end of peacefully looking out the world out the window. You'll NEVER be able to get away from Facebook notifications lol.
Also consider the final M3 reveal may have surprises other than a HUD that will be immediately available for the MS and MX. There are a number of possibilities.

It's too close to the finish line.

I have been thinking of the same thing - whether to purchase a Model X now or wait for a few months. I have decided to go ahead with the purchase now. There will be no end to new feature release every few months so even if I waited and got the HUD, I may again wonder if there's going to be something else in the next few months, point being that whenever you get your car, you'll have to accept the fact that after a few months, there may be new features that you may miss.

The rate of innovation of a Tesla is similar to smartphones. Unfortunately, you can upgrade your $600-700s smartphones every year or two, but you can't upgrade a $100k Tesla so frequently :)

Reactions: 3s-a-charm