Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD or no HUD? Gimmick or really useful feature? Worth giving up free supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really wish there was a subscription model like with the iphone. A new Iphone every year? A new model S every year - always have the newest and greatest.

It can be done - but it won't be cheap.

There are leasing companies who do things like that here in Southern California where people will buy a $250,000 car before they buy a house. It's crazy. For the right price you can get anything here - including short term leases on expensive cars.

What is the expected benefit for HUD in an essentially self driving car?

I don't know. I suppose there is a safety benefit in theory. Perhaps you are more likely to notice the car warning you that its confidence is low and it wants you to take over. The HUD may encourage you to keep your eyes outside the dash more - and therefore unconsciously provide a kind of backup system because you'll notice problems faster.

I'm personally waiting for the HUD before upgrading my AP1 car. What I'm hoping for is an AR-type HUD that will do things like overlay navigation information over the actual roads. Even in a full self-driving situation, I can see how that'd be useful, as you would see exactly what the car was planning to do next.

Free supercharging is a mostly a psychological rather than financial benefit. When your car is ~$100k, does the few hundred dollars per year you'd spend charging it on road trips really matter?

Last edited:
HUDs are pretty useless, I drove a Peugeot 508 with one and it basically did nothing but save me bending my eyes a further 10 degrees down to the dash to check my speed.
It's the least important or interesting thing on a Model S, and that's assuming they are actually working on one.

My advice: it's a pretty good time to buy, because AP2 just came out and the supercharging is still free. Probably won't be any major hardware improvements in the near future (but I don't consider HUD a 'major' improvement).

Not sure whether a HUD that highlights what it thinks you might be interested in is a good thing or a bad thing.

Something basic like the BMW system would be useful, but the sort of busy concepts we see online that give the driver an AP2-style view of the world would be a complete nightmare.

Holy cow... AP 2.0 was just released and AFAIK, there's been no mention of AP 3.0, but we're already speculating when v3 will be released???

Also, is there any evidence that a HUD is in the works for models other than Model 3?

Or did I accidentally time travel to 2018?
consider how long it was that the MX came out w/ its different / lower cd front face. Next thing you know, it's on the S.
What is the expected benefit for HUD in an essentially self driving car?
for ocd folk like myself, it's one more thing to drive one nuts.

But HUD isn't even on the M3 yet. Heck, there isn't even an M3 yet. I'm not saying it won't happen for some MS/MX down the road, but geeze, do we really need to start speculating on that now?

Yes. Speculation is our job. If you can't stand the heat stay out the kitchen - speculation isn't for the faint of heart. It takes discipline. Focus. The willingness to sacrifice productivity for the sake of dinking around on TMC threads. Ain't no place for wussies Hank - speculation is a sport for the big boys.

Yes. Speculation is our job. If you can't stand the heat stay out the kitchen - speculation isn't for the faint of heart. It takes discipline. Focus. The willingness to sacrifice productivity for the sake of dinking around on TMC threads. Ain't no place for wussies Hank - speculation is a sport for the big boys.

Well in that case, when is Elon going to finally give us the flying car?

Well in that case, when is Elon going to finally give us the flying car?

Five years max. Except I think it's coming from Larry Page:

Google co-founder's reported 'flying car' spotted hovering in Hollister

http://jalopnik.com/heres-the-secret-flying-car-from-googles-co-founder-1788146012

From the Jalopnik piece:

"Did you know that Larry Page, one of the founders of Google, started a highly secretive flying car company? Actually, that’s not exactly right. That cash-gorged bastard started two flying car companies. Now it looks like one of the prototype flying things has finally been seen in the wild. The flying car company we’re interested in today is called Zee.Aero, which maintains a hangar at Hollister Airport. Nearby the airport tarmac is a company called DK Turbines, where Steve Eggleston works, and from where Eggleston snapped this photo of what seems to be a working prototype of the Zee.Aero flying car:
Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 8.46.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 8.46.11 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: HankLloydRight
@HankLloydRight - As for AP 3.0 speculation - of course we are! Heh. But seriously we now have at least one data point to go off - roughly 24 months elapsed between AP 1.0 hardware's release and AP 2.0's release. 24-36 months from now Tesla will have a billion miles or more of real world AP 2.0 data and a good idea of what, if any, corner cases need more sensors and/or cpu power to handle. Nvidia has already stated that one year from now its Xavier hardware will process 20 trillion operations per second as opposed to the 12 trillion operations per second in current Teslas. Maybe it will be needed if Tesla adds even more sensors - longer range radar, thermal imaging cameras, LIDAR, etc.

And finally, the next very logical step in self driving is a reclining driver's seat with leg and foot rests for long distance travel. Tesla has clearly grabbed the self driving lead in the industry. They claim current hardware is good enough for full self driving at 2X safety of an average human driver. Therefore 24-36 months from now I predict it is reasonable and logical to expect they will take the next leap - make a claim of 10X the safety of human drivers - and sell a full "go to sleep" luxury mobile - which will keep them ahead of every other carmaker's offerings.

THAT is the vehicle I will personally be willing to spend $150K+ on for luxury, silence and the largest possible battery. In the mean time I'm keeping my Tesla purchases low-spec in anticipation of a pretty near trade-in on the ultimate personal travel machine. We're talking essentially a luxury overnight train compartment as you travel long distances while sleeping, auto-charging along the way. 500-1000 miles in one overnight leap become realistic. Overnight ski trip from L.A. to Utah for fresh powder without having to schlep my gear through an airport and TSA nightmare is now on the menu. The future is exciting!

As a fellow powderhound, I'm up for the plan in the last paragraph. I'm even OK with waking up every 1.5 hours to plug in at the supercharger.

As for sitting on the fence about ordering now, I think this month is an obvious sweet spot with the intersection of Autopilot 2.0 and free supercharging. I got my first friend to take the leap and place his order today!

Reactions: calisnow
I keep thinking about a HUD and whether or not it would be a distraction if implemented in the driver's line of sight - and in this thought exercise, literally say on the windshield. I can argue both sides, and I suppose that means that it comes down to how thoughtfully it was implemented.

I had this idea while watching the "Medium Range Vehicle Camera" window in the "Autopilot Full Self-Driving Hardware" video and imagining what it would be like driving with that projected in front of me. Pausing the video here and there and marveling at how it can identify things better than I can. In my imagination, I tone down the box colors a bit so they're a visual cue, and not as distracting from the actual world as they are in the video.

Now I think about how useful this would be at dusk, in a rural setting with hard to see deer approaching the roadway. Or bicyclists. Or pedestrians. That would be phenomenal.

Could a Tesla HUD implementation kind of be hiding in plain site with this video? I wouldn't put a bunch of money on it, but it's fun to ponder.

I've never been in a car with a HUD that was worth a crap. They are all blurry or useless...

The only HUD I really want to see in a Tesla is one that is a full AR system that will provide useful information overlayed onto the view. I don't think this is coming any time soon, sadly.

So I'm trying to decide if waiting for the likely release of a HUD is worth doing or if I should snag a bargain basement 60 now with free lifetime supercharging.

The appeal of unlimited free supercharging is SOOO appealing - even though it's incredibly irrational for my brain to place so much emphasis on it. Even supercharging once per week for 5 years at $7 of electricity per charge yields less than $2,000 in value vs charging at home. Yet it is strangely appealing because it seems like the magical endless gas tank.

I digress. I've never felt a need for a HUD really, though I have felt the very strong need for more range and self driving.

But iI think AP 3.0 is likely to arrive 24-36 months from now along with a luxury reclining driver seat for sleeping in and likely a 400 mile battery - and I know I will be getting one of those and then probably keeping it 10 years like my prior cars - so this AP 2.0 Tesla is probably a short term purchase. Given that, free supercharging doesn't really matter.

Thing is - do I want HUD? Do you?
Gimmick and images are rarely clear

Unless Tesla has cracked the problem of direct sunlight on a HUD that doesn't involve wearing glasses and is not prohibitively expensive, I very much doubt we will see extremely fancy AR HUDs with route overlays and AP cues. They'd be too distracting if they weren't clear at all times. I really hope it's available, but any HUD on the Tesla is likely to be far simpler than people hope.