Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hud?

At Launch, will a HUD be:

• Standard

Votes: 109 58.6%
  • Optional, in a package

Votes: 41 22.0%
  • No HUD available at launch

Votes: 36 19.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd guess that Tesla would learn from their hubris problems with the Model X, and not try to push the technology on a lower-end car with tight deadlines.

Well, if they could control themselves and not custom design "the best HUD ever, ever made" they can get an off the shelf unit for $8. This addition would free up the left side of the LCD screen. I presume, without a HUD, that the LCD will always require the display of critical car information.

Anyone have a newer HUD that they DON'T like?

Last edited:
Well, if they could control themselves and not custom design "the best HUD ever, ever made" they can get an off the shelf unit for $8. This addition would free up the left side of the LCD screen. I presume, without a HUD, that the LCD will always require the display of critical car information.

Anyone have a newer HUD that they DON'T like?

The cheap devices you see on Amazon aren't huds - it's just reflected images. A true HUD image is collimated to get it to be projected in front of the vehicle, and that requires lenses and mirrors to achieve.

Here is what a proper HUD mount in a vehicle looks like - this is from the Continental HUD system that's being used by BMW/Audi/Mercedes.

It's an off-the-shelve unit Tesla can also just use without getting themselves into another FWD fiasco, but you can clearly see it's not an $8 jobby. Hard to say what the true costs is to a manufacturer, but judging by the complexity and after-market price I would guess between $500 and $1000.

hud.gif

Maybe Tesla would go the cheap way and go for something like the Continental Combiner HUD on that site. Don't know the price, but it's supposed to be cheaper - still not an $8 job though.

However, keep in mind that the Model 3 will have autopilot, but just think about how important it is for the Model S to have the glass cockpit in front of the driver so that you can know what autopilot is doing, and know when you can trust it and when not. When you take that glass display away, you have a problem that needs to be address. With that in mind, take a look at the upcoming (2016 release) AR-HUD from Continental, and see if this isn't a match made in heaven for Tesla.

If you don't want to look at everything (though it's cool), skip 3:40 minutes into it:

Speculation about a HUD in the 3 has been extensively discussed elsewhere on TMC. Will the 3 have a HUD? Maybe. But if it does, it won't be included in the base model, it will be an option. In my opinion.

Tesla did confirm autopilot hardware in the base model 3. I think autopilot needs HUD.

Although I do have a problem believing a fancy autopilot could be standard in the model 3. On the other hand, Musk would be just the guy to decide that all cars will have HUD as the autopilot interface.

I agree for use with autopilot you'd really need a HUD especially to confirm the car is registering the environment. Your attention shouldn't be directed to the center panel the entire time causing you to ignore the actual environment.

When not using autopilot there's not really a need for a HUD as most people only need their speed. It'd still be super cool if there was something on all the time that could help identify and direct your attention to potential hazards.

The cheap devices you see on Amazon aren't huds - it's just reflected images. A true HUD image is collimated to get it to be projected in front of the vehicle, and that requires lenses and mirrors to achieve.

Here is what a proper HUD mount in a vehicle looks like - this is from the Continental HUD system that's being used by BMW/Audi/Mercedes.

It's an off-the-shelve unit Tesla can also just use without getting themselves into another FWD fiasco, but you can clearly see it's not an $8 jobby. Hard to say what the true costs is to a manufacturer, but judging by the complexity and after-market price I would guess between $500 and $1000.

View attachment 176696

Maybe Tesla would go the cheap way and go for something like the Continental Combiner HUD on that site. Don't know the price, but it's supposed to be cheaper - still not an $8 job though.

However, keep in mind that the Model 3 will have autopilot, but just think about how important it is for the Model S to have the glass cockpit in front of the driver so that you can know what autopilot is doing, and know when you can trust it and when not. When you take that glass display away, you have a problem that needs to be address. With that in mind, take a look at the upcoming (2016 release) AR-HUD from Continental, and see if this isn't a match made in heaven for Tesla.

If you don't want to look at everything (though it's cool), skip 3:40 minutes into it:

While I like the general concept of the GPS integration, I'd tweak the appearance a bit. It's missing some key features I'd want in a Tesla, such as battery meter and energy graph.

I agree for use with autopilot you'd really need a HUD especially to confirm the car is registering the environment. Your attention shouldn't be directed to the center panel the entire time causing you to ignore the actual environment.

When not using autopilot there's not really a need for a HUD as most people only need their speed. It'd still be super cool if there was something on all the time that could help identify and direct your attention to potential hazards.

Speed, range to empty, warning light. My wife would be _very_ happy to be able to set up a display to be as simple as that.

Reactions: Booga
In 2014, there were 38 automobile models with HUD either standard or as an available option in the US. This included the Mazda 3 and Mini.

I can't imagine the Model 3 without it, at least as an option. Speed, nav system information, and collision avoidance as a minimum.

Off the shelf, supply chain ready components are Tesla's only option to even remotely come close to hitting their accelerated timelines. Anything else is suicidal.

Unless they have been working on augmented reality HUD for years. Considering Musk's background, I have expected more car UI change. Especially with the model X release. One possibility is that they have been busy with other stuff. The other explanation is that they have been working on a major change.

It seems logical that Tesla's apparent obsession with glass and windshields has a future HUD component. Maybe the ghosting at night some people complain about on the X is the result of some laminations intended to enhance HUD.