Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huge Model S software glitch...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MCU2 SiriusXM was not working tonight so I tried to reset the system using the buttons on the steering wheel. Bad idea. Some new glitch in the software caused that to do a full FACTORY reset. I lost all my settings, data, etc. I can’t even pull my car into the garage tonight because I lost my HomeLink. Sadly, SiriusXM was still not working properly after the reset so I tried it again and it did ANOTHER factory reset. This has to be a software issue with 2021.4.17.

DO NOT reset your car unless you absolutely have to, beware!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Why can't you pull your car in your garage without homelink?
Because he bought a car with Homelink for a reason. Your comment is along the lines of "why not just uber it instead of complaining your Tesla won't start". Drinking that Tesla Fanboy coolaid, eh? Defend Tesla no matter what they do, downplay any issues as irrelevant? ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I’ve been rejecting the updates since 4.14. Waiting for them to get to a clean(er) release. Though I love driving my car, I am so looking forward to lots more choice in the next 2-3 years.
It takes a few years of ownership before owners learn to start rejecting updates once a they come across a stable one., perhaps accept one if there is a really important new feature. Of course if one considers all latest games and fart modes as really important, then you must accept every update, along with new bugs.

Reactions: KArnold and Skipdd
It sounds to me like he knows the difference between a reset and factory reset... hence his warning. I too would be pissed if I did a reset that resulted in the MCU2 being completely wiped clean from all my settings.

Curious if others on 2021.4.17 have done a reset with the normal expected results.

Well it is nighttime, maybe it is a detached garage and he doesn't know where he put his opener? Or maybe he leaves it in the garage?

And I get confused when to take updates. I mean there are always bugs and I can always be hopeful that this update fixes one or two or more....

Last edited by a moderator:
or how about opening the garage door from inside the house?
(Is life really this hard?)
As another poster said, not everyone has an attached garage. We moved to a new place last Oct with a DETATCHED garage. If you don‘t have your opener, or it doesn’t work it is a PIA. There is a key to a lock that pulls the rope - and it’s 3/4s of the way to the top of the door. I would be really pissed if what the OP described happened to me As I don’t carry an opener either..

After multiple calls and messages with Tesla Service and 2 days of troubleshooting, the car is back to “normal”. They had to push a new “update”. I’m assuming it was to repartition the navigation sectors on the cars hard drive because the maps would not re-install over WiFi. They did confirm this is “a known firmware issue”. So use caution with the steering-wheel reboot.

It takes a few years of ownership before owners learn to start rejecting updates once a they come across a stable one., perhaps accept one if there is a really important new feature. Of course if one considers all latest games and fart modes as really important, then you must accept every update, along with new bugs.
So true, at first you are excited to see new things announced, ooohh I better update. Then the realisation starts to sink in after a while - "Tesla giveth, Tesla taketh".
If you want new fun stuff then it comes at a cost, usually that cost is the breaking of existing functions that may or may not ever be rectified (USB album art, 6 months on!!), and more bugs, endless bugs.
For morbid curiosity I would love to know the turn over rate of their software personnel, and if they actually have any processes in place to stop code regression (such a common issue).
I've learned to live with the rattles and fear of needing to visit the service centers, but it is the horrid software that will push me away from the brand. Range and acceleration be damned, sometimes the grass is greener elsewhere even if you have to compromise.

So true, at first you are excited to see new things announced, ooohh I better update. Then the realisation starts to sink in after a while - "Tesla giveth, Tesla taketh".
If you want new fun stuff then it comes at a cost, usually that cost is the breaking of existing functions that may or may not ever be rectified (USB album art, 6 months on!!), and more bugs, endless bugs.
For morbid curiosity I would love to know the turn over rate of their software personnel, and if they actually have any processes in place to stop code regression (such a common issue).
I've learned to live with the rattles and fear of needing to visit the service centers, but it is the horrid software that will push me away from the brand. Range and acceleration be damned, sometimes the grass is greener elsewhere even if you have to compromise.
The ability to update is a blessing and a curse. How many other car companies continue to push free upgrades to customers for years after purchase? Most traditional car dealers will charge you $500 just to update the maps in your GPS system after you drive off the lot.

I’m not a Tesla fanboy in any way, and I think the QA process for their software could certainly improve, but in totality I think the updates and upgrades are more of a benefit than a downfall.