Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huntington, WV Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to a tip from @Brian-MS90D, I decided to investigate what type of EV Charger this Sheetz has.

Does anyone live near Huntington? There is supposedly a new Sheetz that has an electric car charging (supercharger??) listed on their website. However, there is nothing on Plugshare. This is the address:

432 18TH ST W
HUNTINGTON, WV 25704

I was expecting a CHAdeMO, but found an 8 stall Supercharger under construction! In my excitement, I forgot to check the other side of the building to see if there was a charger installed. It is being installed on the Washington Ave side of the above address, about halfway between 18th and 19th Streets.

4 Supercharger cabinets still boxed up.
2BFB416C-057E-4C05-9A04-972062686A72.jpeg

A view of the site roughly Northwest.
58B7BF6E-A900-424D-97A8-C70F5B4704F8.jpeg

A large area is fenced off.
4F0C6D85-8BA5-49B3-BFF0-283F32B61309.jpeg

They have dug a trench across the entry from the Wendy's parking lot next door.
EC172E4D-08E1-4BBF-8694-B41EFFF4FA87.jpeg

This view is from Washington Ave looking roughly Southwest.
A11EFFAE-12C9-4676-9295-7C044F17888C.jpeg

Another view from Washington Ave looking back towards the Sheetz building on the left & Wendy's on the right.
EF0220E4-59D4-400E-881C-CC8860A22412.jpeg

This looks like the very early stages of construction, so if there are no delays, I expect this will be ready to use somewhere around Jan 15th, 2018.

@BlueShift - Please add this site to supercharge.info

That's excellent. Splits the 168 mile gap from Lexington, KY to Charleston, WV.
Need something around the I-64/I-69 intersection to "complete" I-64 after Huntingon, WV and Beckley, WV are done. Tesla has Eberfeld, IN on its map for 2018, but there's not many exits in the area.
Lynnville, IN is at an exit of I-64 so might be better.

Glad to see I-64 so close to total coverage with the addition of Huntington.

To finish the job, I think that Lynnville is too far off route for I-69 travelers.

I would much prefer the US-31 interchange with I-64. It is very near I-69, and has several restaurants and gas stations. It also serves US-31 traffic, as well as the two interstates.

GSP

Glad to see I-64 so close to total coverage with the addition of Huntington.

To finish the job, I think that Lynnville is too far off route for I-69 travelers.

I would much prefer the US-31 interchange with I-64. It is very near I-69, and has several restaurants and gas stations. It also serves US-31 traffic, as well as the two interstates.

GSP

Do you mean US-41? That's still a 10.9 mile 12 minute diversion for I-69.
That would be good for I-64 though, although not as even a split.
I really think they need two different Supercharger locations in that area.

Do you mean US-41? That's still a 10.9 mile 12 minute diversion for I-69.
That would be good for I-64 though, although not as even a split.
I really think they need two different Supercharger locations in that area.

Yes, I did mean US-41. Sorry for the typo.

Since there in absolutely nothing at the I69 & 64 interchange, I think it is worth the diversion to US-41. Lynnville would be a much farther diversion, so I am hoping for US-41.

Someday, there will be services at the I-69 interchange, but for now I perfer to drive to US-41.

GSP

Just stopped by the location, Tesla had a team there testing the units. They said the supercharger should be turned in within a few hours. I’m stopping back by tomorrow and will update if no one else has.

You didn’t by chance ask if they were going to Beckley next did you? I’m going to Florida down I-77 next week. I probably won’t have any trouble making the Charleston to Wytheville leg but would feel more comfortable knowing Beckley is online because I’ve always had to take the I-75 route in the past before Charleston was open.