Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane & Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're facing Matthew here in Florida. And it looks like it's coming in just enough to do some damage in my area.
Does anyone have experience with Superchargers in these extreme situations? Are they going down and come back on just like regular power lines, or will they be up and running through some kind of backup or direct line or whatever?
I'm not an expert (obviously), just wanted to see if anyone here knows more...

That's a good question. My assumption would be that your answer depends on the availability of commercial power. If the power is on, I'd expect the SC to be active, if it's not, then naturally the SC would be offline. None of them carry sufficient battery capacity to really support the station w/o commercial power.

Jeff

• Informative
Reactions: Alex D
We're facing Matthew here in Florida. And it looks like it's coming in just enough to do some damage in my area.
Does anyone have experience with Superchargers in these extreme situations? Are they going down and come back on just like regular power lines, or will they be up and running through some kind of backup or direct line or whatever?
I'm not an expert (obviously), just wanted to see if anyone here knows more...

Most superchargers I've seen are fed from whatever local utility feed it has. Some have some battery capacity, but that's usually to alleviate DEMAND CHARGES rather than provide backup.

Good luck with the pending hurricane and stay safe.

• Informative
Reactions: lklundin and Alex D
the SpCs are dependent on the flow of power from the local utility, if the power is out where the SpC is located then the SpC will be out of service. If you are planning on using your tesla to escape the storm it would be wise try to head to places that will see limited effects of the storm, IE: west coast.

I can confirm that no local power means no superchargers. We had a power cut a couple of nights ago (train took out 27 power poles!) and all were dark including the local superchargers. Once power was restored the superchargers came back too.

Which brings a question to mind. If one is plugged in to a supercharger when the power goes out, can one unplug?

• Informative
I can confirm that no local power means no superchargers. We had a power cut a couple of nights ago (train took out 27 power poles!) and all were dark including the local superchargers. Once power was restored the superchargers came back too.

Which brings a question to mind. If one is plugged in to a supercharger when the power goes out, can one unplug?
One can, just unlock the port from the car.

That's what I hope. My concern is that without power the release mechanism will not release.

The button on the cable won't release it without power, but you should be able to hit the unlock port on the center screen and remove the plug - the car inserts a pin into a slot in the plug, so the plug doesn't have to do anything to release.

Elon's comments about the zombie apocalypse seem to suggest that the Superchargers with battery packs and solar roofs will continue to function with grid power - that might also mean that locations with just a pack will work for a couple charges.

The button on the cable won't release it without power, but you should be able to hit the unlock port on the center screen and remove the plug - the car inserts a pin into a slot in the plug, so the plug doesn't have to do anything to release.

Elon's comments about the zombie apocalypse seem to suggest that the Superchargers with battery packs and solar roofs will continue to function with grid power - that might also mean that locations with just a pack will work for a couple charges.

Or press and hold the trunk release, and that will release the charger port too.

Rest assured that, while there will be power outages, there will be no "zombie apocalypse." Even Wiki says zombies are "fictional." Is he serious? o_O

• Funny
Reactions: MassModel3
Rest assured that, while there will be power outages, there will be no "zombie apocalypse." Even Wiki says zombies are "fictional." Is he serious? o_O

I don't think Elon is expecting an actual zombie apocalypse, no. I don't really think anyone is.

However, the 'zombie apocalypse' has become the standard catch phase these days for any catastrophic event that breaks everything.

• Informative
Reactions: int32_t

Oddly enough I had a chance this evening to find out first hand.

I had the car plugged in in the garage and there was a power cut. Normally an irritating situation but in this case I had the chance to try unplugging with a dead cable.

As I approached the car it did its usual lights on and handles and mirrors out routine. Went to the charge port and found the charge port light off but as soon as I pressed the release button on the cable head the port light came on, I head the usual click and was able to unplug without any trouble.

And no problems with zombies either. :)

OP, be careful not to depend on the superchargers being up or coming up after a hurricane passes through. Even if local power is working and damage to local buildings is minimal there are still numerous potential problems for the superchargers from water in the conduits to moisture blown in to the inverter cabinets.

I think we're a ways out from the zombie apocalypse. My guess is that we'll first see zombies try to normalize themselves in society. Then they'll be able to strike. :)

It wasn't a hurricane, but earlier this year on a road trip from Houston->Dallas there were severe storms in north Texas. It revealed another issue you may face:

I needed to get back to Houston from Dallas, and needed a stop at the Corsicana supercharger. The supercharger was online and had power, but the streets were flooded so there was no way to get to it. I ended up having to charge in Dallas at an EVGo Chademo DCFC, and then go back to Houston via Waco and use the Waco supercharger instead.

Just remember in adverse weather conditions that power availability is not the only thing that may stop you from supercharging. Having adapters and other charging options becomes more than just a luxury in poor weather, it may actually save you.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ciaopec and Alex D