Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery replacement for the 2nd Time in 14 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm here more to vent as much as I am to get get opinions. 2016 Model S 75D. Have had many repairs and replacements, most out of warranty, and replaced the entire HV pack last year under warranty. Yesterday I get the same error as before and SC confirms to replace the pack. Luckily I have a few months of warranty available before its out. As much as I hate to say it, I am leaning towards selling after the pack is replaced for a second time. I sort of thought the last replacement would give me some warm fuzzy feeling, but it obviously was short lived. Curious if anyone else has been in this scenario, or if you were in this scenario, what would you do. I have been patiently waiting for the CT as I am an early reserver of the truck and would hate to make a change with that potentially on the horizon. Thanks for listening.

Think of it from Tesla's perspective. The batteries are expensive, they aren't going to replace one unless they think that they absolutely have to.

With a 2016 model, you are still in that first generation of Teslas and they were still learning. It wasn't until the Model 3 came out in 2018 that a lot of better than previous things were created.

If you love the car, replace the battery and keep it.

If it's time for a trade-up, then now is probably a great time to do so.

2016 Model S 75D (...) Luckily I have a few months of warranty available before its out.
75 failures seem to be pretty rare, you must be lucky. ;)

Even if you have a very early 2016, you have at least ~7 months of warranty left. If you’re bent on a cybertruck we should know a lot more about when they’re coming in the next 6 months so I’d personally hold tight for a bit.

UPDATE: 2nd Battery Pack is on its way, dropped the car off, have a loaner. estimated completion is June 30. The new (Refurbished) pack will carry a 4 year 50k mile warranty. I am pretty sure I was told last time it would only have the remainder of the original warranty or 1 year which ever was longer. Either way, The 4 years is at least some comfort to potentially hold steady. Appreciate all the comments.

UPDATE: 2nd Battery Pack is on its way, dropped the car off, have a loaner. estimated completion is June 30. The new (Refurbished) pack will carry a 4 year 50k mile warranty. I am pretty sure I was told last time it would only have the remainder of the original warranty or 1 year which ever was longer. Either way, The 4 years is at least some comfort to potentially hold steady. Appreciate all the comments.
I'd get the 4 year warranty in writing. Let us know.

How were you able to get them to give you an extended warranty on a refurb pack?

The new (Refurbished) pack will carry a 4 year 50k mile warranty.
You were almost certainly told wrong so get it in writing if you want to have any chance of enforcing such a warranty.

The written warranty doc that came with your car is crystal clear that warranty work and parts replacements do not extend or supersede the original warranty terms in any way.

Reactions: Rocky_H and g8trb8
How were you able to get them to give you an extended warranty on a refurb pack?
I was asking about the range on the new battery(when i said new, i knew it would be refurbushed), when it was replaced last time it has the same level of degredation as the one that went dead. So when they replied that they would not know the range until it was installed in the vehicle and a battery health check done, he noted it would not be new, but be refurbished and have a 4 year 50k mile warranty. I do have it in writing...we shall see if it sticks once its installed.

Just know that you're in for a lawsuit if you actually want to try and enforce it. You should not count on what they told you in any way or expect them to "do the right thing" based on the wrong information they gave you, without a legal fight. They:

1) Explicitly forbid anyone from creating additional warranty obligations for them:
Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 12.54.19 PM.png

2) Say clearly that warranty replacements don't extend the warranty:
Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 12.54.47 PM.png

Sounds like the service guy (who has been at the Jacksonville location for several years) is talking/messaging out his ass. Which on a side note, the new physical location in Jax is really nice...its been open about a week or so for anyone who cares.

Reactions: Rocky_H