Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV battery replacement.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model s 2019 long range, with 4000 miles on it. Went to service center to fix an air leak which was there for a long time. They ordered the roof and windsheild glaa
in case it breaks during fixing. I noticed that the batery is running low and kept on reminding them via chat to charge it so as to the battery does not get damaged. AFter
5 reminders, when the battery dropped to 15 miles, they put it on charge. Now, they send a text that the battery needs to be replaced as the car would not go into Drive even
though it is fully charged. The tech told us on phone that new battery pack would have to be put in and car was fine when it came to center. It will be done under
warranty. But instead of new battery pack, they put in remanufactured one without informing.
Can someone please tell me if the car was fine and gets damaged via their fault, what is my course of action?
Also, how good a rmn battery pack is?

Don’t think there’s much you can do since they’re fixing the issue at no cost to you. Tesla typically uses remanufactured battery backs for replacement, and whatever remains on your original battery warranty will apply to the replacement pack. No reason to believe the replacement pack is any worse than the original.
Thanks. My concern is that the battery pack discharged because they did not put it on charging despite repeated reminders. They themselves said that this car has only 4000 miles on it, no reason for this to go bad. Now they have changed their stance, that it is an electronic part, can fail anytime.
Also, on phone they confrmed that they will replace it with new pack. Now instead of losing a mile a day, when the car is not in use, it is dropping by almost 20 miles in a day

This comes directly from Tesla's warranty document under the section for battery and powertrain warranty (highlighting added). The exact phasing has changed slightly since I bought my mid-2016 produced Model S, but even back in 2016 the document said that it would repair or replace with a reconditioned unit (no mention of potential new pack that's now at least acknowledged).

ref: Vehicle Warranty | Tesla Support

If your Battery or Drive Unit requires warranty repair, Tesla will repair the unit, or replace it with a new, reconditioned or re-manufactured part at the sole discretion of Tesla. The warranty replacement may not restore the vehicle to a "like new" condition, but when replacing a Battery,Tesla will ensure that the energy capacity of the replacement Battery is at least equal to that ofthe original Battery before the failure occurred while taking into consideration other factors, including the age and mileage of the vehicle.

• Disagree
Reactions: m5james
If a battery with 4,000 miles on it fails after the range drops to 15 miles once (or twice, or three times, etc.) , then there was something wrong with the battery in the first place. Even if Tesla were not replacing the battery for free, you would not have a legal leg to stand on.

Let it go and be happy you are getting a reconditioned battery; you escaped a problem that you could have been on the hook for.

Joe

• Disagree
If a battery with 4,000 miles on it fails after the range drops to 15 miles once (or twice, or three times, etc.) , then there was something wrong with the battery in the first place. Even if Tesla were not replacing the battery for free, you would not have a legal leg to stand on.
I would definitely push back on that. Replacing failed parts with reconditioned parts is usually a reasonable thing, but in this case, batteries are wear items, and approximately 100% of reconditioned batteries will have much, much higher mileage than the battery that you're losing. In effect, you're probably taking a rather large reduction in the value of the car without compensation.

If they insist that they can only replace it with a reconditioned battery, demand to see complete documentation of the cycle count on the battery and evidence that the replacement battery is at least as low-mileage as the one you're giving it up. If they won't do that, take advantage of arbitration.

For such a low-mileage car, IMO, anything short of a new replacement is unconscionable, and I suspect any reasonable arbitrator will agree.

I would definitely push back on that. Replacing failed parts with reconditioned parts is usually a reasonable thing, but in this case, batteries are wear items, and approximately 100% of reconditioned batteries will have much, much higher mileage than the battery that you're losing. In effect, you're probably taking a rather large reduction in the value of the car without compensation.

If they insist that they can only replace it with a reconditioned battery, demand to see complete documentation of the cycle count on the battery and evidence that the replacement battery is at least as low-mileage as the one you're giving it up. If they won't do that, take advantage of arbitration.

For such a low-mileage car, IMO, anything short of a new replacement is unconscionable, and I suspect any reasonable arbitrator will agree.
It really doesn’t matter how many miles are on the car.

The warranty terms are clear, a replacement should have at least the range and energy capacity of the battery replaced. That’s it.

Arbitration and demanding to see cycle counts isn’t gonna change anything.

• Disagree
Reactions: tesluv108

The warranty terms are clear, a replacement should have at least the range and energy capacity of the battery replaced. That’s it.

Thank you for the reply. i would definitely try to do this tomorrow.

I understand. But here the question is that the if the battery failed because of their not charging it, than who is responsible? We kept on texting them that it is dropping down to 45, 30 and fnally 10. They were waiting for a charger slot to open as they have only six chargers. No issues with the car ever except air leak and whooshing sound.

I understand. But here the question is that the if the battery failed because of their not charging it, than who is responsible?
I'm not sure I understand, if it fails during the warranty it is Tesla that is responsible to deal with it. Who eagle would be responsible?

But in any case letting it go down to 0% charge isn't gong to kill a good battery. They are supposed to be good for around 6 months at 0%.

I understand. But here the question is that the if the battery failed because of their not charging it, than who is responsible? We kept on texting them that it is dropping down to 45, 30 and fnally 10. They were waiting for a charger slot to open as they have only six chargers. No issues with the car ever except air leak and whooshing sound.
A battery charged to 10 miles of range is perfectly fine. There’s nothing bad about that whatsoever. It didn’t cause your battery to fail.

Your car is under warranty, the battery failed, so Tesla is obviously responsible and they are replacing the battery per the terms of the warranty.

My model s 2019 long range, with 4000 miles on it. Went to service center to fix an air leak which was there for a long time. They ordered the roof and windsheild glaa
in case it breaks during fixing. I noticed that the batery is running low and kept on reminding them via chat to charge it so as to the battery does not get damaged. AFter
5 reminders, when the battery dropped to 15 miles, they put it on charge. Now, they send a text that the battery needs to be replaced as the car would not go into Drive even
though it is fully charged. The tech told us on phone that new battery pack would have to be put in and car was fine when it came to center. It will be done under
warranty. But instead of new battery pack, they put in remanufactured one without informing.
Can someone please tell me if the car was fine and gets damaged via their fault, what is my course of action?
Also, how good a rmn battery pack is?
I look at it as a blessing.

Letting the pack discharge to 15 miles is no big deal, actually just the opposite, it's a normal okay thing to do. Most things cut off at 20% anyway. But used cars go through nearly complete discharges all the time on dealer and auction lots, it truly is no big deal.

But, they caught what it evidently a much bigger deal, one that you may have not noticed because you don't drive the car enough. (1,000 miles a year???)

Sending them the reminders only perturbed them. So luckily they seem to be treating you okay.

Oh, and that replacement pack may not be a refurb. Dependent on supply, they are often brand new batteries.

I look at it as a blessing.

Letting the pack discharge to 15 miles is no big deal, actually just the opposite, it's a normal okay thing to do. Most things cut off at 20% anyway. But used cars go through nearly complete discharges all the time on dealer and auction lots, it truly is no big deal.

But, they caught what it evidently a much bigger deal, one that you may have not noticed because you don't drive the car enough. (1,000 miles a year???)

Sending them the reminders only perturbed them. So luckily they seem to be treating you okay.

Oh, and that replacement pack may not be a refurb. Dependent on supply, they are often brand new batteries.
Its remanufactured

It would be surprising if any remanufactured battery had the range and energy capacity of a battery that has only 4,000 miles on it. But the energy capacity is pretty closely tied to the cycle count, so...
Depending on the failure his failed pack with 4,000 miles on it will become a refurbished pack for someone else... So not surprising at all that it could happen.

Well, tried emailing the district manager. My email id was blocked. they dont want see the escalation, I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ