Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC Control - for those over 50

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
Please describe the circumstances under which your car turns on the heat (blows hot air) in the summer.
It happens under various circumstances, but one that I notice frequently is when the cabin temperature is very close to the target temperature set. As the AC reaches the set point and the system no longer needs to reduce temperature but just to maintain temperature it seems to sometimes over react and puts out heated air instead of just recirculating the existing air without additional cooling.

DarthStar

MYP MSM Tow
Jul 7, 2021
Carlsbad CA
It happens under various circumstances, but one that I notice frequently is when the cabin temperature is very close to the target temperature set. As the AC reaches the set point and the system no longer needs to reduce temperature but just to maintain temperature it seems to sometimes over react and puts out heated air instead of just recirculating the existing air without additional cooling.
My MYP does this exact same thing: SW 2021.11.102.

fiatlux

Jul 28, 2018
Palo Alto, CA
In Cali, we often have cool mornings with hot afternoons into the evening. For my early morning drives, it is often around 60 degrees out. This is warm enough for me, but with the "AC" temp set to 68-70 from the day before, the heater kicks in making it uncomfortable and wasting energy. So I turn down the temp. Then later in the day I get in, and the AC is *blasting* trying to get down to the 60-64 I set it to in the am, so I turn up again to 70. It's a constant dance and annoyance.

FWIW, I previously had a honda accord from around 2006 that had *much* more intelligent auto AC that rarely if ever made it uncomfortable.

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
I hear you. It is such a hassle. The Tesla system could probably be fixed with a software change if they ever take it seriously. They have so many different temp and humidity sensors it is a shame to see them mess up so bad.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC