Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC for 5-Seater Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Others have commented about this. If you place the rear upper cover in the lower position, it end up being higher than the forward lower floor level. High enough that there is a one or two inch gap where things can roll down into the well storage area from the forward lower floor.

If you say so - I haven't seen it to know. My point was just that your upper rear cover and lower rear cover in the photos are actually the same piece, and present on all cars.

Here is my trunk. Does this help? I only have 2 panels, and when I lift the rearmost panel, it goes all the way to the bottom. In fact, I tried putting something in the area below the forward board, and it just slid to the rearmost trunk well underneath the rear board. I just got my car on Monday.

IMG_6894.JPG

Based on reading posts and feedback from several forums, it appears the 5-seater A/C functionality may not be as effective for complete cabin cooling as the 6/7-seat options.

The concerns is for the 2nd row passengers as well as pets in the rear cargo area.

According to Tesla, there is the same single compressor for all models, but only a single fan in the 5-seater, whereas the 6&7 seat models have front and rear fans as well as C-pillar vents..

Although there have not been any 5-seaters available to owners in the summer heat so far, looking for feedback from 5-seat owners who have experience in the heat.

Based on reading posts and feedback from several forums, it appears the 5-seater A/C functionality may not be as effective for complete cabin cooling as the 6/7-seat options.

The concerns is for the 2nd row passengers as well as pets in the rear cargo area.

According to Tesla, there is the same single compressor for all models, but only a single fan in the 5-seater, whereas the 6&7 seat models have front and rear fans as well as C-pillar vents..

Although there have not been any 5-seaters available to owners in the summer heat so far, looking for feedback from 5-seat owners who have experience in the heat.
While we're no where near the height of summer here in north central Florida, we're certainly in A/C weather, so I'm looking forward to hearing comments too.

Interestingly, my 5-seater model X does not have a separate option to turn on rear air conditioning.

My 5-seater Model X does not appear to have a separate option to turn on rear air conditioning either. In the rear seats, the A/C provides cooling through the center console and B pillars. Both provide little circulation relative to fan speed, but I have no experience yet with whether cooling in the back is sufficient.

Although my planned delivery of my 6-seater was for last April, I delayed the build until July being concerned about the A/C effectiveness for an EV with larger interior space, especially in the hot summer in Texas. Upon delivery, I was satisfied with the A/C, especially after full ceramic tint was added since the solar heat transmission through the windshield was more that I recalled from any prior vehicle.

Now while planning on replacing it with a 5-er, I did an somewhat extensive evaluation to compare the airflow differences, using a handheld windmeter. However, being only 80 deg outside, I was not able to compare the actual cooling capacity.

1) The A/C Compressor is the same capacity, so overall cooling should be the same
2) In the 6/7-er, the rear fan control manages the air from the B and C Pillar vents, whereas the 5-er only has B-pillar vents, which is controlled by the single fan system.
3) With the 6/7-er rear controller on MAX, the airflow from the B-Pillar is 5-6 with C-pillar vents open, but on a 5-er the single controller airflow is 3, but closing 2 of the 4 front vents increases the flow to 5.
4) In the 5-er with all or some of the 2nd row seats folded, there is some airflow to the rear cargo space, enough for pets if not sufficient for a person.

Overall, I am satisfied that the 5-er A/C ailflow should be adequate for the 2nd row passengers, and even for pets in the very rear. However, given my pre-tint solar transmission, I think once again a full ceramic tinting is essential.

I find that when the airflow direction is set to auto, there is almost no air flowing to the rear and b pillar vents, causing the 2nd row FWD windows to fog up when it's raining and supplying insufficient ventilation for passengers. Instead, I'm forced to turn off the auto airflow direction which is often set to the footwells, and instead manually select the upper vents and windshield vents.

Bottom line is, to get sufficient rear airflow, I can never set it to "auto". Is this some sort of software flaw?

Bump.
Saw a 5-seater in a showroom and liked the space but do want to hear some real world experience with HVAC in the back with the seats both up and down since that is where I usually keep the dogs.

I haven't yet driven in TX or FL heat, but my current summary is that you can manually make it work. It's disappointing that the automatic fan doesn't provide an even distribution of cool air, but you can manually turn up the fan and manually close or point the front vents to get more air to the back. If you only use "auto", the back will be much hotter than the front (too much so), but you can manually make it acceptable. I am about to put a ceramic film (e.g. Prestige PhotoSync or Llumar) on the back windows which should help even more. It sucks that my 2002 Ford Explorer provides better air flow to the back, and I wish Tesla kept the extra fan booster in the 5 seaters, and I'm not happy spending more money on ceramic film that I wouldn't otherwise, but I'm living with it and making it work.

Bump.
Saw a 5-seater in a showroom and liked the space but do want to hear some real world experience with HVAC in the back with the seats both up and down since that is where I usually keep the dogs.

So this has been a very big issue for me, as I am very A/C picky, even delayed my MX 6-seater build last year until I confirmed the A/C system was adequate in the summer heat.

Yesterday I swapped my 6-Seater for a new 5-seater, and really did some geeky research to make sure I could accept the lack of a 2nd fan unit.

I created these posts if you want the details and read of issues related to this topic.

A/C Effectiveness in 5-seat configuration - Predictions?

How adequate is the A/C airflow in the MX 5-seater for 2nd row passengers?

I also transport my dogs more than family, now with the 2nd row seats down (Finally a real Tesla SUV) so I needed to make sure they would be comfortable.

I should mention I fully tinted every window with Huper Optik including the upper windshield, then Llumar from the safety line down, and will do again.

So far my 2nd row airflow is as described in the other threads per the wind meter, so I have deviation from other tested 5-seaters.

• Informative
Reactions: Gwgan
@essmd I can't tell from your post above whether you are happy or not with the 5-seater you tested... Everything in the other two threads ends a while back with no resolution from Tesla, and no one saying that 5-seaters cool well except perhaps by shutting down a lot of the front cooling. I don't know what 'deviation' from other tested cars means as I see you saying the only answer is to put a Service Manager in a car to have them see how bad it is. :D

I know tinting is a help, but that's not what you expect at this level of spending. Can you clarify your state of 'contentness'? Thanks!

@essmd I can't tell from your post above whether you are happy or not with the 5-seater you tested... Everything in the other two threads ends a while back with no resolution from Tesla, and no one saying that 5-seaters cool well except perhaps by shutting down a lot of the front cooling. I don't know what 'deviation' from other tested cars means as I see you saying the only answer is to put a Service Manager in a car to have them see how bad it is. :D

I know tinting is a help, but that's not what you expect at this level of spending. Can you clarify your state of 'contentness'? Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, I am happy to clarify.

First of all, since the A/C compressor is the same for all configs, cooling capacity is not an issue. However, airflow and circulation is, since there is only one fan in the 5--seater.
As a result, there are no longer C-pillar vents, and the B-pillar vents are tied in with all the other vents now.

The cooling effect on a person is dependent on air temp and direct airflow. The distribution of the cooling of the cabin interior is more a function of air temp and overall circulation, but given enough time the air temps will reach equilibrium.

The concern relates to if the cooling is reduced in the 5-seater for the 2nd row passengers as well as the cabin space behind the front row due to less airflow and circulation, especially in the summer heat.

As per the windmeter I used, the max airflow from the B-Pillar vents reduced from 6MPH i(6/7-seater) to 3MPH (5-seater) with max fan setting, and only by closing the front vents was this airflow increased in the 5-seater... per the results of my testing.

6 seater with rear fan on high and B and C pillar vents open - B-pillar 6 MPH

5 seater with only fan on 11, 4 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 3 MPH
5 seater with only fan on 11, 3 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 4 MPH
5 seater with only fan on 11, 2 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 5 MPH
5 seater with only fan on 11, 1 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 6 MPH

So clearly cooling is reduced when comparing a 6/7-seater to a 5-seater for both a human passenger and the cabin behind the front row, but now the question is how much of an issue is this?

It depends on many factors, including outside temp, use of high thermal blocking tint, effective use of pre-cooling prior to entry of vehicle, etc.

So far, one person has duplicated the testing and measured only 1MPH coming from the B-pillar with all vents open, clearly a major deficit, he was dealing with Tesla Service, and has not yet reported an update. Another reported that Service identified a loose vent connection which resolved the low airflow.

From my perspective, it is too early to tell without adding tint as I had before and outside temps still in low 90's.
However, I can report that when vehicle cabin is hot, and I get into 2nd row, I do feel a fair amount of airflow, but not like I felt in my prior 6-seater.

Whether or not Tesla will support those that complain about this issue is yet to be seen, as it will depend on how many people complain about it. Without a doubt, the 5-seater A/C airflow behind the front row is perhaps the weakest of all SUVs on the market today, but doubt they will do anything to improve existing vehicle, but possibly consider a re-design in the future.

Hope that helped.

Other than the A/C issue, I am so happy I moved to the 5-seater, since it is a true SUV and not merely a crossover. IMO, all Model X configs only seat 4 full size adults comfortable, as the 3rd row is for kid and car seats, while the middle seats lack in width and headroom. But the cargo capacity in the 5-seater is just awesome. And since I travel with my dogs mostly since being empty-nesters, being able to lower the 2nd row seat and have them lay down just behind me is so much better than them negotiating the seats, which I had to attach seatbelts and put on a cover to protect leather from nails.
Plus a year and 44,000 cars later, this one is so much quieter.

But AP2 has far to go to catch up with AP1, and I fear the seisure-like activity of the center dash images and the flickering car icons may never improve.

Last edited:
I haven't yet driven in TX or FL heat, but my current summary is that you can manually make it work. It's disappointing that the automatic fan doesn't provide an even distribution of cool air, but you can manually turn up the fan and manually close or point the front vents to get more air to the back. If you only use "auto", the back will be much hotter than the front (too much so), but you can manually make it acceptable. I am about to put a ceramic film (e.g. Prestige PhotoSync or Llumar) on the back windows which should help even more. It sucks that my 2002 Ford Explorer provides better air flow to the back, and I wish Tesla kept the extra fan booster in the 5 seaters, and I'm not happy spending more money on ceramic film that I wouldn't otherwise, but I'm living with it and making it work.

Yup, you are correct about the settings, using AUTO at a low number does not do what most other vehicles do.. blow coldest air at fast as possible...but while in manual the lower the number, the cooler the air and the fan need to be manually adjusted.

About tints, obviously there is bias, but there is a moderate heat rejection difference between Llumar (upper grade) and Photosync (the best), but even more so is the cost.

I went with the Huper Optic (2nd best) everywhere except for lower windshield (Llumar), but the Huper Optic I put on the rear cargo window was too dark, so now I use Llumar instead.

I did split up my windshield to have "sunglasses" with a Huper Optic darker tint above the level of the visor line, and a legal Llumar below it. The sun can be just too annoyingly bright when above the level of the visor, and the reduction in heat transmitted on my chest and arms is amazing. Even today I called my tint guy to schedule ASAP, since 3 days ago I had comparatively no heat coming in on my prior X.

Thanks for the feedback, I am happy to clarify.

First of all, since the A/C compressor is the same for all configs, cooling capacity is not an issue. However, airflow and circulation is, since there is only one fan in the 5--seater.
As a result, there are no longer C-pillar vents, and the B-pillar vents are tied in with all the other vents now.

The cooling effect on a person is dependent on air temp and direct airflow. The distribution of the cooling of the cabin interior is more a function of air temp and overall circulation, but given enough time the air temps will reach equilibrium.

The concern relates to if the cooling is reduced in the 5-seater for the 2nd row passengers as well as the cabin space behind the front row due to less airflow and circulation, especially in the summer heat.

As per the windmeter I used, the max airflow from the B-Pillar vents reduced from 6MPH i(6/7-seater) to 3MPH (5-seater) with max fan setting, and only by closing the front vents was this airflow increased in the 5-seater... per the results of my testing.

6 seater with rear fan on high and B and C pillar vents open - B-pillar 6 MPH

5 seater with only fan on 11, 4 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 3 MPH
5 seater with only fan on 11, 3 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 4 MPH
5 seater with only fan on 11, 2 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 5 MPH
5 seater with only fan on 11, 1 dash and ctr console vents open - B-pillar 6 MPH

So clearly cooling is reduced when comparing a 6/7-seater to a 5-seater for both a human passenger and the cabin behind the front row, but now the question is how much of an issue is this?

It depends on many factors, including outside temp, use of high thermal blocking tint, effective use of pre-cooling prior to entry of vehicle, etc.

So far, one person has duplicated the testing and measured only 1MPH coming from the B-pillar with all vents open, clearly a major deficit, he was dealing with Tesla Service, and has not yet reported an update. Another reported that Service identified a loose vent connection which resolved the low airflow.

From my perspective, it is too early to tell without adding tint as I had before and outside temps still in low 90's.
However, I can report that when vehicle cabin is hot, and I get into 2nd row, I do feel a fair amount of airflow, but not like I felt in my prior 6-seater.

Whether or not Tesla will support those that complain about this issue is yet to be seen, as it will depend on how many people complain about it. Without a doubt, the 5-seater A/C airflow behind the front row is perhaps the weakest of all SUVs on the market today, but doubt they will do anything to improve existing vehicle, but possibly consider a re-design in the future.

Hope that helped.

Other than the A/C issue, I am so happy I moved to the 5-seater, since it is a true SUV and not merely a crossover. IMO, all Model X configs only seat 4 full size adults comfortable, as the 3rd row is for kid and car seats, while the middle seats lack in width and headroom. But the cargo capacity in the 5-seater is just awesome. And since I travel with my dogs mostly since being empty-nesters, being able to lower the 2nd row seat and have them lay down just behind me is so much better than them negotiating the seats, which I had to attach seatbelts and put on a cover to protect leather from nails.
Plus a year and 44,000 cars later, this one is so much quieter.

But AP2 has far to go to catch up with AP1, and I fear the seisure-like activity of the center dash images and the flickering car icons may never improve.
Thanks for the detailed update! Sounds like the AC is usable but marginal depending on location and whether you add the tint or not. I love the layout of the 5-seater, but still am on the fence of which to order....

Yes, if I had frequent 2nd rows passengers, I may regret going for the 5-seater, despite it make more sense for me.

Today my kid in the back didn't spontaneously complain about the A/C when it was 95 outside and I pre-cooled for 10 minutes, but when I ask about the A/C, she said she could feel it, but stated if it was hotter she would have wanted more of a breeze. When I closed 2 front vents, she noticed a difference.

Even if Tesla was aware of this issue, I doubt they would do much about it, as they have no problem with people ordering the more expensive 6/7 seaters.

The best that could be hoped for is a future option for either restoring the 2nd row fan, or offering that as an upgrade... either would be a response to design flaw, which they are not likely to do.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
<snip>

What is confusing to me is that the first responder guide shows high voltage cables and electronic back there for the "13.High voltage cabling to rear HVAC assembly" ... it would have made since to me that there was a compressor there vs high voltage for a fan.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...16_Models_X_Emergency_Responders_Guide_en.pdf

It may be that the rear HVAC is for cooling of the Batteries, charger, inverter, drive motors etc, and not the passenger compartment.

I believe that what Tesla is doing in the X is similiar to other similiar sized SUV's. My Grand Cherokee had a very similiar system, with the most cooling going to the front seats, then the 2nd row and what was left over going to the cargo/dog compartment. Rear passengers can adjust and direct the airflow as they wish from the 2nd row.

As far as dogs go, my Golden has never seemed happier and more content, than he is riding in the back of my 5 seater. He seems more relaxed with the electric drive than in my Jeep.

It is 100º today in Canyon Lake, and he did great on our ride into San Diego.