Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2 Autosteer impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after waiting for month I finally got TACC and Autosteer working.
I find TACC being pretty good, with exception it seems to me it accelerates and brakes excessively hard in slow or stop and go traffic.
As far as Autosteer, I find it pretty shaky so far.
It seem my car has a tendency to constantly apply left/right steering corrections, like it is searching for the lane borders, instead of just keeping straight line, even at low speed and on the straight sections of the road.
The movements are small, but noticeable - I can feel steering wheel movements most all the time.

Anyone else care to share their impressions?

Reactions: jame521
That lane border hunting was prominent in the early days of HW1, too. Now it's a lot better - most of the time flawless. On my daily drive to work I pass through a tunnel with 80 km/h speed limit and a pretty sharp curb at the end. HW1 just nails it every time, keeping me right in center.

I'm sure HW2 will ace this too. Just give it some time. I am however a little concerned about Elons tweet about camera *pitch angle* needing to be adjusted on some cars. Sounds like the camera is physically pointing too much up- or downwards. Which could mean that the camera doesn't see as much of the lane borders as it's supposed to do ... Sure hope this isn't a big issue, contributing to the weird steering behaviour (or worse: false negatives in detecting cars/objects in front of car)

Last edited:
My AP1 has its moods on steering. Sometimes it's fine, other times it's worrisome. Never takes your eyes off the road, that's for sure. There is still a lot of work to do on this tech. The TACC works quite well for me. It has become more gentle and smooth over the revisions to the SW. I use it almost all the time and it is great.

My AP1 has its moods on steering. Sometimes it's fine, other times it's worrisome. Never takes your eyes off the road, that's for sure. There is still a lot of work to do on this tech. The TACC works quite well for me. It has become more gentle and smooth over the revisions to the SW. I use it almost all the time and it is great.

Agree. i let Auto steer take the ramp today and it had difficulty at the curve..

I had to take over 3 times today because my car was turning into the car next to me on the right. Today is the first day my autopilot became active so I am hoping it gets better soon. I was probably traveling around 10-20 mph all 3 times it happened in stop and go traffic.

Can you please elaborate as to what these moods are ? And on what roads ? The 17 ? Or the 1 ? Generally I find AP1 to be quite extraordinary at lanekeeping, as someone who's only had his Model S since last summer, and having never driven any other level 2 system. It did extremely well in near whiteout conditions amid pouring rain last week, and handles general road conditions on major bay area freeways and roads much better than I imagined it would.

• Informative
Can you please elaborate as to what these moods are ? And on what roads ? The 17 ? Or the 1 ? Generally I find AP1 to be quite extraordinary at lanekeeping, as someone who's only had his Model S since last summer, and having never driven any other level 2 system. It did extremely well in near whiteout conditions amid pouring rain last week, and handles general road conditions on major bay area freeways and roads much better than I imagined it would.

Sometimes it is smooth as silk and stays right in the center of the lane. I rarely use it on 17. While I may fly over 17 when I am in control, I simply don't trust it with the erratic drivers on that road. I use it a lot on the rural roads in Santa Cruz. Mostly it is just fine. But sometimes it can be jerky and indecisive on both rural roads and the 1. Shadows tend to spook it. But not consistently. Cresting a hill can make it dive one way or the other. But also not consistently. It works flawlessly in stop and go, which I find to be the most valuable use for me.

Don't get me wrong. I love it. But it takes constant monitoring just in case. I have had it jerk the wheel right into the other lane twice. Once on the 3-lane portion of the 1 and once on a rural road with an oncoming car. I was never in danger.

Hi all, I was about to start a new thread on this and found this one. I've had the autosteer beta and TACC for a week now or so and as you stated the TAAC is good, but too aggressive in breaking instead of slowing down gradually and taking advantage of regen. breaking. The autosteer beta on day 1 was downright scary. I was shocked how bad it was. The lines on the display indicating what it sees as the lane markers shake constantly, both sides. They do that even when at a standstill. I'm not sure what causes that, but whatever its must have something to do with the behavior you described where the S goes to the left and right constantly making me look like a drunk driver or something, lol. I have to say I think over the past 3 days or so it seems like the autosteer has gotten better. That seems like a short time to have a big improvement, but I'm happy it's getting better. It's far from being good, but at least it isn't bouncing around constantly like it was the first couple of days. Do any of you feel it has gotten better over the week or so? On a side note, I'm really disappointed we still don't have auto-whipers or high beams, seems like such a simple add.

Cheers.

• Helpful
Reactions: Growling Fish
It sounds like AP2 is just having the same growing pains as AP1. All signs point to the two sets of machine learning data not being comparable with each other so it makes sence that for now AP1 is smarter, but as the miles gain AP2 will improve.

I am constantly amazed how much AP changes based on the collective driving data. Near my office there are quite a few Teslas and there is a ton of road construction changing the routes every few weeks. On the Monday after a route change AP just freaks out and does the "grab wheel, terrified beep". Then by Thursday it does the route like a champ.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Sometimes it is smooth as silk and stays right in the center of the lane. I rarely use it on 17. While I may fly over 17 when I am in control, I simply don't trust it with the erratic drivers on that road. I use it a lot on the rural roads in Santa Cruz. Mostly it is just fine. But sometimes it can be jerky and indecisive on both rural roads and the 1. Shadows tend to spook it. But not consistently. Cresting a hill can make it dive one way or the other. But also not consistently. It works flawlessly in stop and go, which I find to be the most valuable use for me.

Don't get me wrong. I love it. But it takes constant monitoring just in case. I have had it jerk the wheel right into the other lane twice. Once on the 3-lane portion of the 1 and once on a rural road with an oncoming car. I was never in danger.
Thank you for that post. I haven't used my AP1 on rural roads much. While I've driven on both 1 and 17 many times, I've not done so in my Tesla. I definitely wouldn't trust it on the 17 either!

Interestingly, I found AP1 more jerky before, but it's a lot more 'smarter' now. For example, I don't find it losing track when cresting hills as much. The only time it was an issue was when there's a turn right past the crest, which can be troublesome even to human drivers. AP1 also negotiates exit avoidance fine now. Earlier, when in the right lane with an exit coming up, it would be indecisive and bail. But now it sticks in the lane, almost tailored to assume that without user input, the driver does not intend to exit and therefore avoids the exit.

I had to take over 3 times today because my car was turning into the car next to me on the right. Today is the first day my autopilot became active so I am hoping it gets better soon. I was probably traveling around 10-20 mph all 3 times it happened in stop and go traffic.

I seen it with my car as well. I think it is very prominent if you travel in the middle lane - car really tries to ram into the car on your right.
If you stay in the left most lane or right most lane it is better

I'm really disappointed we still don't have auto-whipers or high beams, seems like such a simple add.
I sent my request to Tesla regarding wipers, It really shouldn't be a rocket science :) to make em work. It isn't autopilot. Got reply promising it should work in couple of weeks or so (Tesla time, so probably more like a month).
As far as Autosteer improvements hard to say, the limitations (have to go on Freeway, but under 45 makes it sort of hard to test)

I sent my request to Tesla regarding wipers, It really shouldn't be a rocket science :) to make em work. It isn't autopilot. Got reply promising it should work in couple of weeks or so (Tesla time, so probably more like a month).
As far as Autosteer improvements hard to say, the limitations (have to go on Freeway, but under 45 makes it sort of hard to test)

It isn't the physical wipers moving when it senses rain that is the problem. It's teaching the AP software to sync it's camera frame rate to the variable speed of the wipers. That prevents the camera from freaking out whenever it gets blocked by the wipers and also teaches the camera to make its best guess for a second until the blade clears off the new rain.

This is essentially Tesla's version of the gun synchronization problem in WW1 airplanes, that would shoot their own propellers off otherwise. It struck me as remarkable of AP1 that it could maintain lane holding amidst near whiteout conditions during rainstorms in the bay area recently. I looked at the wiper track then and wondered how the AP system managed to keep up with the intermittent wiper rate that would affect what the camera could see. It's pretty cool, and whatever AP1 has works really well in conditions where I wouldn't have assumed it would work at all. I had my hands on the wheel expecting it to hear the bailout sound but it tracked lanes remarkably well in poor visibility conditions; even I had to maintain total focus on the road to see where I was going. Hopefully AP2 will cover the gap soon too.

AP2 HW2 is a lot better present day I have to say. One thing I have noticed is that if AP2 is driving and someone changes lanes to get in front of me it will not detect the car coming into my lane and slow down, it just keeps going. I have to hit the break so I don't get too close to the car coming into my lane. I assume that will get better as I know it sees the vehicle coming in my lane it just isn't smart enough, yet, to react to it. Also, the Traffic Aware Cruise Control is great when going over 50 and can't use the AP2, but it only sees directly in front of the vehicle for now, if I make a curve with it on and there's something in front of me, sort of diagonal, it won't slow down.