Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have FSD?

If not, I'm not really sure why you'd worry about it -- HW3 doesn't add any value without FSD ...

... if you DO have the FSD package, the upgrade should be included at no cost.
This just isn’t a true statement anymore. Does HW2.5 with base autopilot offer green light chime? Does it offer vision only Autopilot?

Who knows what they’ll add in the future, but I would bet they won’t be coming to HW2.5.

This just isn’t a true statement anymore. Does HW2.5 with base autopilot offer green light chime? Does it offer vision only Autopilot?

Who knows what they’ll add in the future, but I would bet they won’t be coming to HW2.5.

… I didn’t say features, I said value. And given how “well” both of those things work … I’ll reiterate what I said.

You can read the whole process on Tesla's own service site: https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...UID-2AA012FD-0725-4F5A-998B-D46BCFDECDD3.html

You need to disconnect coolant lines under the frunk area.

You also need to be able to update the gateway config in the car, so you cannot just replace the hardware and have it work, even if you trigger a software update. I specifically asked Tesla if they would do this for a DIY HW3 install and they said it was specifically prohibited by corporate.

If you can find someone to do a gateway config change, then you could grab a used one out of a wrecked car and install it.
damn thats a lot of work for just that hw retrofit

Agree to disagree, it certainly adds value to me. I can’t remember when the green light chime didn’t work, and Vision FSD doesn’t phantom brake for me at spots where HW2.5 always used to.

Thanks for being a gentleman (or gentlewoman) instead of going on blast... it's nice to have an actual discourse without it devolving into a mess!

The issues I've had with the chimes are that they pick up things like adjacent lane turning arrows and such, and chime for that. I've also had them go off somewhat randomly when the light is still red. And mea culpa, I forgot they came to non-FSD cars last year. When rolled out initially, it was FSD-only. My mistake, please accept my apology.

... and yes, I will agree, I actually think the radar module is a device whose time has past. Vision based sensors do appear to be more accurate now... maybe not in the very beginning, but certainly now. Are the HW2.5 cars still using radar? I hadn't followed - thought the entire fleet was on vision these days.

So yes, given both of those, I'll retract my statement -- there IS additional feature/function in HW3. The question is whether it's worth the $1,000 upgrade; that's purely a personal decision for each of us.

• Love
Reactions: Vol16
So yes, given both of those, I'll retract my statement -- there IS additional feature/function in HW3. The question is whether it's worth the $1,000 upgrade; that's purely a personal decision for each of us.

or worth it free if you go the small claims/dispute route. I don't see it worth the hassle since i only have AP. Maybe when if I sell the car and a buyer wants 3.0

I'm buying a new Y so I'll get to test AP on 3.0 soon

Reactions: Vol16
Scheduled appointment. EAP. 2.5. Service request: can you upgrade 2.5 to 3?” Estimate came back as 0.00. I approved. Spent a week celebrating.

Brought car in. As I was checking in: “We forgot to put the part in estimate. Will be $1,000.” I left w/o upgrade. Felt like I was close—perhaps one service center employee was willing to goodwill the job, then the checkin employee shut the door.

Wonder what will happen when FSD/autopilot stack moves out of beta?

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Scheduled appointment. EAP. 2.5. Service request: can you upgrade 2.5 to 3?” Estimate came back as 0.00. I approved. Spent a week celebrating.

Brought car in. As I was checking in: “We forgot to put the part in estimate. Will be $1,000.” I left w/o upgrade. Felt like I was close—perhaps one service center employee was willing to goodwill the job, then the checkin employee shut the door.

I would have stuck to my guns with orig. estimate

For some reason west coast folks have been lucky.

Wonder what will happen when FSD/autopilot stack moves out of beta?

In theory, everything EAP buyers were promised is fully delivered.

So they could just stop updating the AP stack for older than HW3 cars.
(see also what happened to AP1 cars)

In theory, everything EAP buyers were promised is fully delivered.

So they could just stop updating the AP stack for older than HW3 cars.
(see also what happened to AP1 cars)
That’s the most likely scenario. Was speculating that they have a glut of silicon because of post-Covid supply chain ordering and maybe ambitious FSD take rate projections and that’s why west coast drivers are getting it for free? That’s all in my fantasy world, though.

Was speculating that they have a glut of silicon because of post-Covid supply chain ordering and maybe ambitious FSD take rate projections and that’s why west coast drivers are getting it for free? That’s all in my fantasy world, though.
The more likely scenario was that they are moving to HW4 so the value of new HW3 modules sitting in a warehouse is dropping to near zero. Even if you have excess "silicon," you don't turn that into whole HW3 computers unless you have cars to put it in, and Tesla made 1.4M cars in 2022, so they had plenty of places to put the silicon.

But the reality is that this was never purposeful by Tesla, it was just a mistake somewhere. It wasn't "west coast" either as I'm in Seattle and they made it clear that HW3 is not a free upgrade, and that any invoice that said so was just in error.

Reactions: Raisin45567
I see it's been a while since someone has updated this. I asked for the HW3 upgrade and was quoted $1000, however on the review section of the estimate I have the option to delete the $1000 entry. Not sure if it would be added back on if I deleted it.

For another data point I have 2018 model 3 with EAP.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230710-140156.png
    Screenshot_20230710-140156.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Screenshot_20230710-140312.png
    Screenshot_20230710-140312.png
    223.3 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: tlr1000