Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Upgrade from HW 2.5 with MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@xenodata, thanks for the link to the video. After watching it, I went back out to my car and checked the settings.

I'm 99% sure I checked the list of options under Autopilot right after I got HW3, and didn't see the "Traffic Light and Stop Control" option, but just went out to the car now and there it was, unchecked. I think they've added an option to turn options on and off based off of VIN, and once the home base got the nod that I had HW3, the option showed up. I turned it on, but don't have time to test this morning. Will try this afternoon and report back! Very exciting!!!

The options don't show up until it downloads the navigation map update, thinks about it for a while, and completes some calibration. Be sure you are connected to strong Wi-Fi! We just upgraded our Model 3 to HW3 (MCU2 of course). Right after installation there were no new settings, and no FSD visualizations either. That evening it completed the map update. The next day we enabled everything and drove around, stopping at stop signs and lights and visualizing traffic controls and trash bins. The visualizations won't be the same with MCU1, but the FSD operation should be there.

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like the visualizations are the same for MCU1 and MCU2 for the Stop Control feature. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/stopsigncar-jpg.542000/ even shows the road marking STOP.

The only thing that might be different is showing the colors of lights that Autopilot thinks aren't for you, but it's not clear from the pictures. Although if MCU1 already renders the traffic signal and your colors, it probably could show other's colors too.

I would guess the enhanced visualizations are more like the ones released on Autonomy Day with road edges, barriers, etc. where all the additional items is not worth optimizing for older hardware. It'll be interesting how Tesla updates Visualization Preview (maybe with the rewrite) as currently MCU1 is only missing out on some road marking (e.g., arrows, handicap, railroad, bike lanes)... and garbage cans.

Last edited:
I took my car in today for the HW3 upgrade only. I just got a call saying they are having issues, the car isnt accepting it, they have to get in touch with Engineering. The service guy said it wasnt a big deal, it happens sometimes, it should be ready by Monday.

I took my car in today for the HW3 upgrade only. I just got a call saying they are having issues, the car isnt accepting it, they have to get in touch with Engineering. The service guy said it wasnt a big deal, it happens sometimes, it should be ready by Monday.

I have a very similar experience. I saw last week that my MCU1 Model S (Sept 2017) was eligible for HW3 upgrade and made an appointment for Wednesday this week. They had real problems updating the firmware and kept it for two days. I finally got it back this evening and I second all of Bigriver's observations. I had my doubts that it would work like this on an MCU1 car, but it is looking awesome!

Congrats to those upgraded. They called me and initially setup a mobile appointment to have it done. But then texted and canceled saying it would take too long as a mobile appointment. So I asked if we could make it a service center job and they agreed.

I got the car back, and its still calibrating but it looks like the upgrade worked just fine for me on MCU1. New features may still be added in the future that require MCU2 but I’ll hold off for now.

• Informative
Reactions: Cheburashka
Last week I tried to schedule FSD3 upgrade without MCU2 upgrade in SF/Bay Area. Service sent a text back that they, nor any service center in the Bay Area, currently have FSD3 parts right now and I am now on a “list”

Mathis is for August 2017 MS AP2.5/MCU1

I wrote back and asked if it’s possible to get FSD3 upgrade with paid MCU2 upgrade and have not heard back.

I didn’t try and schedule until now because, like others, I’ve had a hard time justifying the MCU1/2 upgrade. But, especially after the last few posts here, it’s clear to me it’s not worth it at the moment. Plus, I’m still hopeful if my MCU1 fails in the future I may be able to upgrade for less than $2,500:)

Reactions: croman
So the Model S FSD that’s featured on the youtube video I mentioned earlier does work on my HW3 MCU1 car. Had a chance to drive it around after calibration. My ICU does all of the visualizations of stop lights and signs.

One weird thing that happened was after I changed my tires today from winter to summer, the MCU and ICU rebooted several times after I told it to switch the tires and TPMS over. I wonder if the software(2020.12.11.5)/hardware combination I have isn’t yet programmed to gracefully handle tire change overs. I almost was afraid the computer wouldn’t come back, but after about 3 reboots it did and I drove on the new tires okay.

So far, it's been pretty great (HW3 upgrade and 12.11.5). My why's comment after driving with it was "impressive", which is saying a lot since she is a normal person (unlike us).

What I didn't expect was how great it is to have the car stop at stop signs and traffic lights for you. It's like when you're trying to explain to someone how great autopilot because you don't have to stress about keeping the car in the middle of the lane, or braking, except for lights/stop signs when there isn't a car in front of you. Except now, it does that too! It's still a pain to have to "acknowledge" that a traffic light is coming up (otherwise it stops regardless of light color), but I can understand why they have you do that. Future is looking brighter everyday (and that's saying something right now!).

I picked mine up yesterday. I saw the option, however it said I had to connect to Wi-Fi, then when I was in Park, it said cameras were calibrating. This morning, I was able to enable it, I see the stop signs and traffic lights. I didnt connect to Wi-Fi, presumably I had the latest maps already, just the cameras had to finish calibrating.

For the peeps that still have MCU1, but upgraded from HW2.5 to HW3, did you lose all your settings when you were updated to HW3?

Also, flyguy - how did you select which service center you wanted/picked? When I used the phone app to try to set up an at home appointment for the HW3 update, it selected the service center. Did you set up an actual service center visit at the SC (instead of an at home appointment)?

Thanks.

For the peeps that still have MCU1, but upgraded from HW2.5 to HW3, did you lose all your settings when you were updated to HW3?

Also, flyguy - how did you select which service center you wanted/picked? When I used the phone app to try to set up an at home appointment for the HW3 update, it selected the service center. Did you set up an actual service center visit at the SC (instead of an at home appointment)?

Thanks.

All existing settings were still there.

I got HW3 upgrade a couple of weeks ago on our 2017 Tesla S 75D HW2.5. No cones appear and the car does NOT recognize them on autopilot either. I do however have the lights, stop signs and ability to stop at them. I told Tesla and they setup a service appointment but just got back to me and said that it is a limitation. I told them that not recognizing traffic cones is not acceptable for FSD. The won't tell me what the limitation is or if they plan to overcome it.

• Informative
I told them that not recognizing traffic cones is not acceptable for FSD.
What makes you think MCU1+HW3 is not recognizing traffic cones? Even when not visualized (like garbage bins or other FSD Visualization Preview), Autopilot can still see them. Try driving past some cones with Navigate on Autopilot enabled, and you'll probably see a message "Construction detected Navigate on Autopilot limited"

The Infotainment Upgrade page specifically says "Enhanced Driving Visualization for owners with Full Self-Driving Capability Computer" and similarly Full Self-Driving Computer Installations says "However, with the FSD Computer you will have access to an enhanced Driving Visualization that offers more insight into how your Tesla perceives the world around you and future Full Self-Driving Capabilities, pending regulatory approval. Note that the enhanced Driving Visualization requires the latest Infotainment system."

Reactions: NHK X and croman
What makes you think MCU1+HW3 is not recognizing traffic cones? Even when not visualized (like garbage bins or other FSD Visualization Preview), Autopilot can still see them. Try driving past some cones with Navigate on Autopilot enabled, and you'll probably see a message "Construction detected Navigate on Autopilot limited"

The Infotainment Upgrade page specifically says "Enhanced Driving Visualization for owners with Full Self-Driving Capability Computer" and similarly Full Self-Driving Computer Installations says "However, with the FSD Computer you will have access to an enhanced Driving Visualization that offers more insight into how your Tesla perceives the world around you and future Full Self-Driving Capabilities, pending regulatory approval. Note that the enhanced Driving Visualization requires the latest Infotainment system."

I was on autopilot and nearly drove over them.. No messages

• Informative