Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade or MCU1 death. Which will happen first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car(MCU1) always had issues with rear camera. It shows frozen image from past/different location. SC had replaced camera, even MCU with no resolution. Now with release of smart summon feature, when car do not get correct feed from the camera it take wrong decision. One time it almost backed into the wall, and another time it did not see the pedestrians. SC and AP engineers confirmed this issue after extensive tests now advised me not to use the smart summon.
I strongly recommended you ask the SC to loom at replacing your APE computer behind your glovebox. Sounds like that's the issue to me

I strongly recommended you ask the SC to loom at replacing your APE computer behind your glovebox. Sounds like that's the issue to me
I have already bought FSD, hopefully HW3 upgrade will resolve it. Technician admitted that my car is not unique with this issue, and whey got notification from engineers for not replacing any hardware for this issue.
At least that was the excuse they gave for not fixing the car and keeping it for a full week.

I think I just figured out how Tesla will retrofit all cars to HW3 (or 4, or 5) without losing money! Simply wait until MCU dies, then claim you have to pay for MCU replacement (at whatever price they set) in order to upgrade to HW3. They apparently already do that with drivetrain warranty, if your MCU is not 100% functional, drive unit is covered, but you have to pay $3K to fix your MCU first before they honor drive train warranty (see this post). So, all Tesla has to do to retrofit your FSD for free is set an appropriate price for the MCU replacement to cover FSD. Given that FSD will not happen for years, almost guaranteed your MCU will die, and yes, even MCU2.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
I think I just figured out how Tesla will retrofit all cars to HW3 (or 4, or 5) without losing money! Simply wait until MCU dies, then claim you have to pay for MCU replacement (at whatever price they set) in order to upgrade to HW3. They apparently already do that with drivetrain warranty, if your MCU is not 100% functional, drive unit is covered, but you have to pay $3K to fix your MCU first before they honor drive train warranty (see this post). So, all Tesla has to do to retrofit your FSD for free is set an appropriate price for the MCU replacement to cover FSD. Given that FSD will not happen for years, almost guaranteed your MCU will die, and yes, even MCU2.

Makes sense. They are only upgrading the latest models so far. Which is pretty evil since there are people with AP2 that bought FSD years ago

Makes sense. They are only upgrading the latest models so far. Which is pretty evil since there are people with AP2 that bought FSD years ago
Come to think of it, it's a perfect scam. Sell people FSD while telling them nobody knows when FSD they paid thousands of dollars for will come, wait till the car is out of warranty, and then charge them to upgrade the car and make more money. They could come back and say "your MCU may appear to work but it's emmc is reporting errors and for FSD you have to have a perfect emmc since the car will be driving by itsef", "oh, you know that redundant actuator, or wiring harness, we tested it and it doesn't work so you need to pay to replace them too - we can't tell you when those died because previous software didn't use them at all, but your car is out of warranty now so the bill goes to you", "we have to charge you for all-wheel-alignment because FSD requires it", etc, etc. Nobody will fault them from wanting fully self driving cars to be in perfect shape, after all it's for safety.

It kind of reminds of the "lifetime guarantee, we'll replace the product any time it breaks" type of warranty with fine print stating that there is a "shipping and handling fee" which is larger than the cost of the product, and a stipulation that they might send you a newer model too. "Your upgrade to FSD will be free, but getting the car ready for FSD will cost you".

Last edited: