Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk on Twitter

HW3-q4.png

I’m curious how legit this future FSD feature really is going to be. Right now, in my 1 week old P3, the only presentation of what the car identifies with its many cameras is ridiculous. The identified lane markings are adventurous if the real ones aren’t simple and the adjacent objects like cars or pedestrians pop in and out of existence nilly willy and somehow tend to get way close or drift off randomly.

So as of July 2019, this is not even a serious tech demo. And somehow we are going to have robotaxis once the HW3 neural net goes live?!

I’m curious how legit this future FSD feature really is going to be. Right now, in my 1 week old P3, the only presentation of what the car identifies with its many cameras is ridiculous. The identified lane markings are adventurous if the real ones aren’t simple and the adjacent objects like cars or pedestrians pop in and out of existence nilly willy and somehow tend to get way close or drift off randomly.

So as of July 2019, this is not even a serious tech demo. And somehow we are going to have robotaxis once the HW3 neural net goes live?!

the current computer isn't even powerful enough to handle the amount of data the cameras can supply let alone do anything really fancy with it.

Looking at current capabilities to make any judgement about future ones with a computer vastly more powerful is like looking at a toddler who is barely crawling and concluding "Well, obviously he will never be able to walk"

• Love
Reactions: M109Rider
the current computer isn't even powerful enough to handle the amount of data the cameras can supply let alone do anything really fancy with it.

Looking at current capabilities to make any judgement about future ones with a computer vastly more powerful is like looking at a toddler who is barely crawling and concluding "Well, obviously he will never be able to walk"

OK...but how many years will the toddler need to walk completely on his own with 99.99% accuracy?

I don’t agree at all. I’m not price sensitive (I bought a P3) but I found the sales pitch for FSD during the test drive ridiculous when the cars started to go berserk on the screen. I don’t expect FSD today but even HW2.5 (my P3 has HW3 and so did the brand new demo vehicle two weeks ago I assume) should be able to identify objects in a way that doesn’t make the system seem spastically broken. If they can’t do this without HW3 AND software then they should not display these ridiculous cars and lines at all. It’s a sure way to lose credibility and was the main reason why I didn’t purchase FSD.

Actually the question in the tweet to Elon said “HW2+” which is both 2 and 2.5. I don’t see why they wouldn’t do upgrades to both HW 2.0 and 2.5 at the same time.

HW 2.5 upgrades seem more straightforward (no camera/radar differences at minimum), and it would make sense to start with the simpler upgrades. Also I thought I saw someone with an S got a HW3 upgrade recently somewhere in the HW3 thread in the Tesla section.

EDIT: HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Calling BS on that now. Maybe a few token people but not mass upgrades for those of us whose thousands of dollars they've been sitting on and laughing at.
I thought there was a HW2 distinct and different than 2.5. If he means the smuck that bought a $75000 Model 3 in March will have to wait a year to get HW3 yet had he deferred his order for 30 days he would have had it last April. That is beyond sucks.

OK...but how many years will the toddler need to walk completely on his own with 99.99% accuracy?

Apparently 40+ years and counting for some of us. :p

But, seriously it depends on how far back you in evolutionary terms you want to go.

The question isn't whether Tesla can achieve FSD, but can Tesla achieve FSD with HW3?

When I say achieve FSD I mean in terms of having reached a level where there is a strong consensus among experienced owners that it should get regulatory approval so we can go to sleep at the wheel.

But, even then there is a but. The steering wheel is mechanically linked to the tires so it's going to be really bad if we accidentally turn the wheel while asleep.

Reactions: alexGS
I thought there was a HW2 distinct and different than 2.5. If he means the smuck that bought a $75000 Model 3 in March will have to wait a year to get HW3 yet had he deferred his order for 30 days he would have had it last April. That is beyond sucks.

HW2 is distinct and different than HW2.5

HW3, and HW2.5 are basically the same with exception to the computer. The computer doesn't provide anything additional until the SW is released for it.

There will be some sucky as the SW that takes advantage of HW3 gets released, and a bunch of HW2.5 owners like myself are left waiting for months. but, the SW will likely have lots of issues so it won't be horrible.

It's certainly going to be a bumpy ride.

HW2 is distinct and different than HW2.5

HW3, and HW2.5 are basically the same with exception to the computer. The computer doesn't provide anything additional until the SW is released for it.

There will be some sucky as the SW that takes advantage of HW3 gets released, and a bunch of HW2.5 owners like myself are left waiting for months. but, the SW will likely have lots of issues so it won't be horrible.

It's certainly going to be a bumpy ride.
That's precisely what I thought but @PoitNarf above implied Elon meant all of 2.x I checked again and the question, though ambiguous, said HW2 family. So did Musk hear 2.x or 2.
If he meant every Model 3 purchased prior to April then I, too, will be BS.

Apparently the FSD computer itself has lots of issues as well. Someone with an upgraded HW3 computer (so they do upgrade existing customers) lost all of AP and the mobile tech said ended up putting back the 2.5 computer.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS