Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have HW2.5 with original EAP.
Overall I'm happy with it. But it does give me phantom braking at times on freeway or wigs out if a parked car is too close to flowing traffic.

Yep, same here.
Plus the occasional suicidal directional preferences of steering towards trees on the side of the road (when cresting hills), or impaling on the median when approaching Y-splitting roads, or accelerating in a lane towards a car that is starting to merge in front of you.... all fun "features" we've learned to counter-act.

Will HW3 improve the system so these things don't happen anymore? Because if it can't, there's no way this car can go FSD on regular city streets.
Yes, I am sure phantom braking will go away eventually. HW3 should definitely help.

No-one really knows, outside of Tesla.
Since Elon is known to be particularly tight lipped, he would have bragged about an improvement like this long ago. If it was in the pipeline.

As it stands, HW3 will have more onboard processing power, so should be able to do more object recognition for things like road/stop signs, stop lights, etc. Whether or not that reduces error rates for core AP functions like Autosteer/LKAS and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, is not clear and not known at this time.

Anyone who tells you otherwise, and doesn't work for Tesla, is day dreaming.

Reactions: HAWX 12
HW3 should definitely help.
I actually don't think so. HW3 is a faster processor. They claim, which I'm a little skeptical about, that the current computer runs at 85% of capacity. I would hope HW3 would help with jerkiness as it could do more subtle faster micro adjustments rather than slower coarser adjustments. Phantom braking I believe needs narrow radar confirmation that a shadow isn't an obstacle. People talk about it in context of overpasses. I get it driving down streets with no incline, decline, or overpasses. I don't think it's a processor issue, rather a design issue.

As an asides, I think the current processor is running far closer to 100%

I wonder if the faster HW3 will help sync the screen visualization to reality? Currently when I drive down my street, the car displays the cars parked on the side of the road but usually with a 2-3 second delay in rendering vs reality.
I would hope so. One doesn't want the "WATCH OUT" 2-3 seconds after you hit something. I've noticed that as well. The scary thing is, what else does it react to seconds after it happened? This raises all sorts of questions.

I wonder if the faster HW3 will help sync the screen visualization to reality? Currently when I drive down my street, the car displays the cars parked on the side of the road but usually with a 2-3 second delay in rendering vs reality.
i'm more interested in hearing if upgrading the M3s with HW3 ends up handicapping the rear view camera.

In a similar vein, not sure this is the correct thread, does anyone know if driving down a street with on-street parking, will the car (HW2.5) move closer to the center line to avoid the parked cars? I do know, the hard way, it doesn't see joggers. I don't want to be the guinea pig with parked cars too.

i'm more interested in hearing if upgrading the M3s with HW3 ends up handicapping the rear view camera.
Would you elaborate? I would hope it would add the backup camera to Sentry Mode as, right now, there is a glaring blind spot with it. I can only assume it's absence is due to performance issues processing that many video feeds simultaneously. So they dropped the backup camera.

Would you elaborate? I would hope it would add the backup camera to Sentry Mode as, right now, there is a glaring blind spot with it. I can only assume it's absence is due to performance issues processing that many video feeds simultaneously. So they dropped the backup camera.
basically this - there have been a lot of threads/posts regarding the stuttering while using the rearview camera (backup camera). a correlation is that the majority of people reporting the issue are on HW3. HW2 and 2.5 users don't seem to have the problem.

i'm curious if upgrading the M3 with the HW3 hardware results in the stutter. this would be pretty damming if so.

• Informative
Reactions: wcorey
I believe that Tesla is just starting to roll out the updates. Some owners, in for other service, are having the latest V3 installed at no charge.
Imaging Tesla has a plan to get these into the fleet, and of course cannot do everyone at once.

From what I understand, the new computer does not currently provide enhanced functionallity. That this capability will come along as it is developed, now that they will have the faster chips out in the field.

Just got a new Raven with V3. Do not notice much difference over my previous 17 with V2.o.

I believe that Tesla is just starting to roll out the updates. Some owners, in for other service, are having the latest V3 installed at no charge.
Imaging Tesla has a plan to get these into the fleet, and of course cannot do everyone at once.

From what I understand, the new computer does not currently provide enhanced functionallity. That this capability will come along as it is developed, now that they will have the faster chips out in the field.

Just got a new Raven with V3. Do not notice much difference over my previous 17 with V2.o.
Same here. We have AP2, AP2.5 and AP3 and don't notice anything really different so far.

With that said, we're still looking forward to getting the AP2 and AP2.5 cars upgraded to AP3!

basically this - there have been a lot of threads/posts regarding the stuttering while using the rearview camera (backup camera). a correlation is that the majority of people reporting the issue are on HW3. HW2 and 2.5 users don't seem to have the problem.

i'm curious if upgrading the M3 with the HW3 hardware results in the stutter. this would be pretty damming if so.
Thanks! I didn't realize that was a thing. I do know sometimes my 3 has to reflect on my having put the car in reverse. As if it's not entirely sure it wants to show me.
Ditto with Homelink. It is flawless on approach but seriously reticent on closing after I've backed out of the garage. I wonder if it suffers the same affliction with gated communities not closing the gate when you leave.

Looks like AP3 upgrades are moving forward. See tweet:

upload_2019-9-12_18-27-19.png

Every Model 3 with HW3 has a stuttery, inconsistent frame rate on the backup camera. Bloody annoying it is, too.

• Informative
Reactions: Kmartyn
I am very disappointed with both musk and Tesla. We (M3 owners) we told last spring upgrades would start in June.

I (M3 owner) was told in the spring that upgrades would not start until the software had advanced enough that it would be able to advantage of the new computers. This is also what Musk tweeted in the spring - no HW upgrades until the software is ready to really use it, likely not until the end of 2019.

I wonder if the faster HW3 will help sync the screen visualization to reality?

No. The computer(s) that handle the modeling (including reading in sensor data, interpreting the world, deciding how to drive, and sending orders to the wheels/motors etc) are separate from the computer that does the screen visualization.

The likely problem with the visualization is that the infotainment computer/display has no easy way of making sense of the model data so that it can make the right drawings for you. The model has information like, "car here, stationary," "truck here, speed 10 direction 250," "car here, speed 12 direction 252." It's recognizing vehicles, assigning locations, speeds, directions... but not orientation. The infotainment computer is assuming the orientation of the other cars based on how they move. If the AREN'T moving (i.e., stopped or parked), the guess is often. But all of that goes on in the infotainment computer. Upgrading the workhorse computer that does the modeling won't change that.

If the on-screen rendering improves, it's because they taught the main computers to do new work (train on the orientation and model the result), or they came up with better cleverer ways in the infotainment side to infer what's going on in order to make the right display on the screen for you.

does anyone know if driving down a street with on-street parking, will the car (HW2.5) move closer to the center line to avoid the parked cars?

No, it won't, at this time. Also, you're not supposed to use it on streets with on-street parking. It's for highways and "limited-access" roads. It still has trouble on any road that doesn't have markings for both sides of your lane - on most streets with on-street parking and a center lane marker but no marker for the other side of the lane. Moreover, it's probably not a "limited-access" road.

I (carefully) use it on many roads like that, but always with full attention, and I manually take over as much as necessary to maintain distance from parked cars. (I'm hoping I feed the training system. I do know that my car sends a fairly large amount of data upstream.)

Reactions: SammichLover
No, it won't, at this time. Also, you're not supposed to use it on streets with on-street parking. It's for highways and "limited-access" roads. It still has trouble on any road that doesn't have markings for both sides of your lane - on most streets with on-street parking and a center lane marker but no marker for the other side of the lane. Moreover, it's probably not a "limited-access" road.

I (carefully) use it on many roads like that, but always with full attention, and I manually take over as much as necessary to maintain distance from parked cars. (I'm hoping I feed the training system. I do know that my car sends a fairly large amount of data upstream.)
Yeah Yeah Yeah... But who hasn't? You're also not supposed to defeat the hands on steering wheel. Except for not recognizing joggers It does a remarkably good job. Once I clear the particular development we're in I use AutoSteer all the time, except when I have to resume control i.e. first in line at a light or stop sign, if there is a turn to be made, if there is a jogger, etc. I haven't tried it with cars but was confident someone else would have. If they have a prayer of a chance and Musk wasn't speaking through his arse, they better get on the stick for something towards full self driving. The year is almost over, Oct-Nov-Dec. Yes, I know precisely what feature complete means. Hint, it doesn't mean GA. But if the entire FSD is feature complete we'd be seeing some portions of it. I haven't seen enhanced summons yet. I feel exceptionally bad for those who bought an S in 2012 being told in 12 months theirs would be FSD. I wonder if we were equally suckered. We're no longer talking a handful of really wealthy people, we're talking hundreds of thousands.