Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not the theoretical efficiency of the physics that counts. It is the overall economic efficiency of harvesting, putting into usable form and distributing it where it is needed that matters.
Oh, you mean like this? End of discussion.

electric-car-vs-hydrogen-fuel-cell.jpg

One thing I've always wondered about when it comes to Hydrogen FC, is why noone seems to be trying to use them for aviation. For commercial aviation you don't care about the price of the fuelcell (or not nearly as much as with a car). Their fueling stations, read airports, already have infrastructure or is so limited in numbers building out infrastructure makes sense. They've got qualified technician to handle any problems. They are not that much conserned with efficiency, they are flying after all. Cryogenic storage has a higher weight/energy ratio than batteries which is important for flights...
Can someone tell me why this would be a bad idea ? Not the least so all that research could be used for something usefull..

Cobos
Er, maybe Hindenburg?

It's not a horse race without at least 2 horses. So Hydrogen was important.

It lost on cost for a litany of reasons. One was the cost of batteries.
And now batteries are getting cheaper at a rapid clip.
Time to send poor hydrogen to the glue factory.
I think the biggest threat to large scale energy storage via batteries is small nukes.

Yep, you always give the boss 2 options. A real one and a stupid one. Watch out, though, sometimes the stupid one gets picked. Remember when the generals gave Drumpf options on Iran?

What exactly is the benefit of a H2 car? The benefit of an EV is that it reduces energy use by >50% and it can use otherwise curtailed (wasted) renewable energy. A H2 car does neither of those. It uses the same if not slightly more primary energy than an ICE and it relies on H2 infrastructure. Even if the H2 it uses was derived from a clean source that H2 could have been used to displace FF CH4 on a >1:1 basis. Until we're 'flooded with surplus RE' you're investing in a new fleet of vehicles and infrastructure while accomplishing nothing.

We are not in a position that we can afford to spend $$$ without accomplishing anything....

For context our H2 debt is 74B kg/yr of which ~half is needed for ammonia production so it's not displaced by using less oil. ~95% of that comes from the steam reforming of CH4. That's a least ~30B kg of H2 we need to produce from electrolysis. That's >1200TWh of energy required just to meet our current H2 debt. >25% of US electric use. Until that debt is met H2 cars are just CH4 powered cars.

AND.... AND that's not including future drivers of H2 demand like aviation and steel production. It's just insane to waste H2 in cars. Because.... physics ;)

The benefits are that it's fuel-based with (theoretically) faster refueling It's one of the key things that lured people in, until the developments in hybridization and plug-ins shifted the possibilities. (The other lure was economic, as countries saw the potential value of being a big player in the technology.)

With fuel and fast refueling, you can have a hub model, which makes it easier to build up the required infrastructure for all use cases.
Realistically, EV doesn't have any prospect of using a fully hub-based model. It needs a significant chunk of charging at home/work/destination to make it work, and that messes with the economics of the hubs, as people will use them as a last resort.

As far as the efficiency goes, humanity has demonstrated repeatedly that it doesn't really give a crap about efficiency. It cares about efficiency because it impacts cost.

If somehow HFCV could overcome the fuel cell stack and refueling costs, it would be in a position to take over rapidly from gasoilne. The problem is that realistically it would need electrolysis of cheap electricity for the hydrogen. Not simply because of renewable policy, but because switching transportation to methane would put additional strain on the world's already-stretched natural gas supplies.

But realistically, we'll probably end up with BEV, EREV, and liquid biofuels and synfuels.

The benefits are that it's fuel-based with (theoretically) faster refueling It's one of the key things that lured people in, until the developments in hybridization and plug-ins shifted the possibilities. (The other lure was economic, as countries saw the potential value of being a big player in the technology.)
I do think that there is a familiarity aspect in play as well. You drive, you fuel up, you drive some more. It feels like less of a paradigm shift.

Reactions: zero5romeo

Every car has to park somewhere and that somewhere tend to have power infrastructure. We have not even implemented V1G nor V2G. So definitely have not done all we can to incorporate renewables onto the grid. Not having even maximized this and going back to 'fuels' is just dumb. NV Energy calls it Demand Response Event and have it for our HVAC and they are testing it on the free L2 chargers at their main office in Las Vegas. NV Energy

"Going to a fueling station"... Why would you want to do that?

Last edited:
NY Times article on hydrogen. Starts with "blue" and associated problems but also mentions "green."

Nothing much new to those debating here but one tidbit that was new to me:
In Washington, the latest bipartisan infrastructure package devotes $8 billion to creating regional hydrogen hubs, a provision originally introduced as part of a separate bill by Senator Joe Manchin, a Democrat from West Virginia, a major natural gas producing region. Among companies that lobbied for investment in hydrogen were NextEra Energy, which has proposed a solar-powered hydrogen pilot plant in Florida.

Some other Democrats, like Representative Jamie Raskin of Maryland, have pushed back against the idea, calling it an “empty promise.” Environmental groups have also criticized the spending. “It’s not a climate action,” said Jim Walsh, a senior energy policy analyst at Food & Water Watch, a Washington-based nonprofit group. “It’s this is a fossil fuel subsidy with Congress acting like they’re doing something on climate, while propping up the next chapter of the fossil fuel industry.”
Great, infrastructure money wasted on the hydrogen boondoggle. Sigh.

NY Times article on hydrogen. Starts with "blue" and associated problems but also mentions "green."

Nothing much new to those debating here but one tidbit that was new to me:

Great, infrastructure money wasted on the hydrogen boondoggle. Sigh.

Gotta keep the logistics system in business. Look how well that turned out in Afghanistan. Locally, we see price spike for gasoline. Do we need another reason to go rooftop solar + EV?

I have solar panels on my house. I charge my car from them. If you gave my a FCEV for free, it would cost me more to drive than it costs to drive mine. And if you gave me a free card to fill up for free, it would be more inconvenient than my car. There is no way a hydrogen car could be an improvement over my BEV. And that's without considering that fueling my car has ZERO carbon footprint and we're 20 or 30 years or more from having a green supply of H2.

Further, H2 is really hard to store and transport, When the day comes that we have excess green renewable energy, synthetic liquid fuels will be a thousand times easier to transport and store than H2.

H2 is a boondoggle to sell natural gas, which is the source of 99.9% of H2 today. Which is why the bipartisan infrastructure bill gives several billion dollars to building H2 infrastructure. So people can put H2 into cars that are so expensive that they have to be sold at a big loss. Or more likely leased, because the limited service life of fuel cells means that the cars will have no resale value at the end of their lease, when buyers of used H2 cars will have to pay full price for the hydrogen.

A free FCEV with a lifetime of free fuel is too expensive.

I have solar panels on my house. I charge my car from them. If you gave my a FCEV for free, it would cost me more to drive than it costs to drive mine. And if you gave me a free card to fill up for free, it would be more inconvenient than my car. There is no way a hydrogen car could be an improvement over my BEV. And that's without considering that fueling my car has ZERO carbon footprint and we're 20 or 30 years or more from having a green supply of H2.

Further, H2 is really hard to store and transport, When the day comes that we have excess green renewable energy, synthetic liquid fuels will be a thousand times easier to transport and store than H2.

H2 is a boondoggle to sell natural gas, which is the source of 99.9% of H2 today. Which is why the bipartisan infrastructure bill gives several billion dollars to building H2 infrastructure. So people can put H2 into cars that are so expensive that they have to be sold at a big loss. Or more likely leased, because the limited service life of fuel cells means that the cars will have no resale value at the end of their lease, when buyers of used H2 cars will have to pay full price for the hydrogen.

A free FCEV with a lifetime of free fuel is too expensive.
I totally agree, H2 makes no sense when compared to what else is out there for all your reasons.

Reactions: JRP3 and eevee-fan
My point is, in the case of green energy, how to store energy to make it available when needed.

Yes, there are many options such as (not in any specific order):

- pomping water to a higher level.
- similar idea, moving up some weights.
- batteries storage.
- generating hydrogen.
- heating water in a closed circuit and use a thermal exchanger.
- freewheel (with no friction using superconducting magnets).

Now what solution is preferable is really up to who ever has to make decisions.
I could only paraphrase: "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt
I agree 100%. As I said, I didn't get your point. It seemed that you were saying hydrogen should be a last resort, while my argument is exactly the same as yours, use whichever works for you that doesn't harm the environment.

What exactly is the benefit of a H2 car? The benefit of an EV is that it reduces energy use by >50% and it can use otherwise curtailed (wasted) renewable energy. A H2 car does neither of those. It uses the same if not slightly more primary energy than an ICE and it relies on H2 infrastructure. Even if the H2 it uses was derived from a clean source that H2 could have been used to displace FF CH4 on a >1:1 basis. Until we're 'flooded with surplus RE' you're investing in a new fleet of vehicles and infrastructure while accomplishing nothing.

We are not in a position that we can afford to spend $$$ without accomplishing anything....

For context our H2 debt is 74B kg/yr of which ~half is needed for ammonia production so it's not displaced by using less oil. ~95% of that comes from the steam reforming of CH4. That's a least ~30B kg of H2 we need to produce from electrolysis. That's >1200TWh of energy required just to meet our current H2 debt. >25% of US electric use. Until that debt is met H2 cars are just CH4 powered cars.

AND.... AND that's not including future drivers of H2 demand like aviation and steel production. It's just insane to waste H2 in cars. Because.... physics ;)
What a range of irrelevance. The benefit of a hydrogen vehicle is the same as the benefit of battery vehicle: Operating it doesn't generate combustion pollutants. It does not matter how much primary energy it uses as long as the value proposition works for the buyer. It is precisely the same case for every single energy use that anyone makes. If it is economically justified power sources will be built to supply the demand.

Focus on supplying the clean energy to meet the demand, not on trying to dictate which formula everyone should use. We cannot know what science and technology innovation will provide unless we let it take its course. You are following the same misguided path that EV naysayers always have.