Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HyperVolt Charge Points [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting my Hypervolt installed in a few weeks and this will be my first EV.

Is it best practice to set the charging via the car or the charger? Or does it make no difference?

In theory it shouldn't matter which. You can still set your chosen max percentage charge on the car even if you have the charging period controlled externally. My view is that it's best to avoid timing that depends on network functionality unless you know that your own network is rock solid and any servers connected to the charge point via the internet are 100% reliable.

Reactions: NSS89
In theory it shouldn't matter which. You can still set your chosen max percentage charge on the car even if you have the charging period controlled externally. My view is that it's best to avoid timing that depends on network functionality unless you know that your own network is rock solid and any servers connected to the charge point via the internet are 100% reliable.

Thanks for that.

If for whatever reason (by mistake most likely) the car and charger are set to different max percentages - which one takes priority?

I ordered a Hypervolt last September to be installed by my own electrician. For various reasons it was only installed yesterday. I have the problem of the plug taking several attempts to lock. Even when it seems locked the Tesla app gives me a warning that it isn’t properly locked. Also, charging speed is limited to 4kw - is that the car limiting the charge because it has identified a problem? I don’t think it can be the Hypervolt as the CT clamp is set not to adjust load.

Time to try Hypervolt’s apparently excellent customer service.

Tesla made a slight change to the charging port some months ago that meant the standard Hypervolt charger did not always fully connect. I had same issue with mine and Hypervolt sent a replacement to my installer who replaced free of charge.

More annoying for me is that the unit loses WiFi connection frequently. Only we to reconnect is to switch off at the mains and let it reboot. Hypervolt mentioned it is probably something to do with my Sky Q broadband but I haven’t had a chance to call them to troubleshoot yet.

I ordered a Hypervolt last September to be installed by my own electrician. For various reasons it was only installed yesterday. I have the problem of the plug taking several attempts to lock. Even when it seems locked the Tesla app gives me a warning that it isn’t properly locked. Also, charging speed is limited to 4kw - is that the car limiting the charge because it has identified a problem? I don’t think it can be the Hypervolt as the CT clamp is set not to adjust load.

Time to try Hypervolt’s apparently excellent customer service.
Model 3 I’m guessing?

For those with a Y on order, or considering a Y - no issues with the plug or charger for me so far. The recessed shape on the exterior of the plug doesn’t match the contour of the charge port perfectly (because the port area on the car is so curved) but it seems to be locking and charging fine so far.

I had my Hypervolt installed today (car not due until 26th). It's installed on an outside wall (my choice). My wife asked me the question . . "could someone steal that off the wall"? Frankly that's not something I'd considered. Thinking about it . . . does that box have a unique ID tied to me?

I had my Hypervolt installed today (car not due until 26th). It's installed on an outside wall (my choice). My wife asked me the question . . "could someone steal that off the wall"? Frankly that's not something I'd considered. Thinking about it . . . does that box have a unique ID tied to me?
Yes the charger has a unique ID that is tied to your account. This is partly why it needs a Wi-Fi or data connection.

You would have to “un-adopt” the charger before it would work with someone else’s account, so they’re basically worthless when stolen unless you un-adopt it AFAIK.

Reactions: Forty_Two
Installer came out to fit my Hypervolt today, got to the end and realised the screws for the faceplate were missing

So he had to take it off because it’s not watertight without it and come back another time when they send through the missing screws to finish the installation and I’m now left with no charger 😢

More annoying for me is that the unit loses WiFi connection frequently. Only we to reconnect is to switch off at the mains and let it reboot. Hypervolt mentioned it is probably something to do with my Sky Q broadband but I haven’t had a chance to call them to troubleshoot yet.
I'm finding the same thing regarding it losing wi-fi connection, only had it a week or so but it's lost connection a few times. It's on an outside wall in an area where we've never needed to get decent wi-fi coverage previously, so still working out the best way to extend the wi-fi network to it.

The big problem is that whenever it does lose wi-fi connection, it then needs a power-cycle before it can reconnect, which is a right nuisance. If we powered our wi-fi network off then back on, every single other device in the house automatically re-connects except the Hypervolt. Would be interested to hear if others experience the same or whether we might have a faulty unit, e-mailed Hypervolt a couple of days ago but no response yet.

There is an imminent update which fixes the Wifi issues which only seem to be affecting Hypervolts purchased in March. Their Facebook page is really active on things like this and they keep everyone in the loop really well on there.
I had mine installed on Tuesday. Initially the app connected, but only worked for a few hours. It is connected to the WiFi, but cannot be controlled using the app or Hypervolt website. Resetting by turning power off and back on doesn't make any difference. Hypervolt support have said it needs a firmware update which should be available this week. Until then I can only control the charging using the cars scheduler.

I had mine installed on Tuesday. Initially the app connected, but only worked for a few hours. It is connected to the WiFi, but cannot be controlled using the app or Hypervolt website. Resetting by turning power off and back on doesn't make any difference. Hypervolt support have said it needs a firmware update which should be available this week. Until then I can only control the charging using the cars scheduler.
My update came through last night - power cycled the charger which gave it just enough time to connect to my WiFi and get the update - working as intended now after a week or two of no connection. Hopefully everyone's will get sorted the same way - although I've read a small number might need a visit from someone to get resolved.

Reactions: Z1ppy
My update came through last night - power cycled the charger which gave it just enough time to connect to my WiFi and get the update - working as intended now after a week or two of no connection. Hopefully everyone's will get sorted the same way - although I've read a small number might need a visit from someone to get resolved.
That's good to know. Good to hear yours is working now, hopefully I'll get the update soon. Did they contact you to say they were sending the update out so you knew to power cycle the charger?

My charger few days old so still getting used to it. Wondering how does the s/w update work as I can't find anywhere in the app regarding availability of new s/w updates. Is this something Hypervolt pushes?

I had my Hypervolt installed earlier this week. I've got it wired to my router. Not used it much as waiting to switch to Intelligent Octopus.

With regards to scheduled charging, should you set it on the car or the charger? If setting it on the car do you just leave the Hypervolt as it is?