Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ll get roasted but here goes anyway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m glad the key fob is useful for many ... for me, I’m loving life without carrying any keys at all. Don’t want to go back.
My iPhone 11 Pro works fine, and I have an RF card in my wallet. Don’t want to carry keys anymore .... how 20th century.

Edited to add - zero need to be roasted for using a keyfob. It’s a personal preference! Great that it makes life better for you!

I have the key fob. As I have auto-present door handles, it's essential for that. I just walk beside the car and the door handles swing out. Without the key fob that would not happen. The fob also makes opening the electric frunk and trunk a breeze. One click on the key fob does it. The key card does not do that and one has to go through several steps with the phone app to open the trunk or frunk.

I know my case is not a good example for others who don't have the auto present handles or electric frunk and trunk, but if anyone is thinking of making these mods, the key fob is a great help.

Car comes with two RF cards, one for you and one for your wife. Didn't you get two RF cards when you bought your Tesla? You can order another RF card, keep it in your wallet and it's cheap.

Peter
Ok I’m just gonna put it bluntly - I am a minimalist asshole with a “modern” wallet that can hold about 4 cards and two $20 bills. We have two cards for the car, but I choose not to carry mine because I live in a fantasy land where everything works, even though I work in software, where anything working reliably is like seeing a unicorn jump over a ****ing rainbow.

I have the key fob. As I have auto-present door handles, it's essential for that. I just walk beside the car and the door handles swing out. Without the key fob that would not happen. The fob also makes opening the electric frunk and trunk a breeze. One click on the key fob does it. The key card does not do that and one has to go through several steps with the phone app to open the trunk or frunk.

I know my case is not a good example for others who don't have the auto present handles or electric frunk and trunk, but if anyone is thinking of making these mods, the key fob is a great help.

I have auto present DOORS, which I turned off on day one. I’ve yet to use the FOB to open the trunk or any door other than testing that it worked. Just touch the handle like any other FOB car. So Phone as key would be perfectly fine by me.

Phone as key would work fine for auto present door handles.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I also bought the new version of the fob when it first came out. I was thinking that I'd just keep it as a backup or collectible or whatever, but for some reason I decided to try it out - you know, just for a day or two. And haven't gone back to using the phone since then. And I was one of those ones who the phone worked great, 98% of the time.

Reactions: Lobstahz and bcpm3p
I’ve had my M3 for a little over three weeks now.
My iPhone has only not worked twice. On both occasions I simply toggled Bluetooth and it was working again.

I carry the key card as a backup. I never plan to carry keys or a key fob for as long as I own the car.

As much as I hate valeting cars, it’s sometimes a necessity (e.g. office parking garages in LA where you’re forced to park tandem and leave keys with attendants). Key fobs with a key ring are easiest in that situation. What do those of you without key fobs do for valet—leave your card?

Reactions: Lobstahz
No keys, no wallet, no fobs. I just carry my iPhone X and wear my AppleWatch as backup. 100% never failed to open the door, immediately. I never carry my phone in the back pocket, since I don't want to sit on it.

I use a Vena wallet case, to carry ID, health insurance card, and my keycard, and one credit card in case the store doesn't take ApplePay. My house has two Schlage keypad entry locks. If the battery dies, there's another entry. Have EV Watch, AutoMate and Stats installed on my AppleWatch that can open the door and start the car if necessary.
Vena wallet case:
Screenshot 2020-02-20 21.23.43.jpg
Schlage keypad entry lock:
Screenshot 2020-02-20 21.22.46.jpg
AutoMate in middle, Stats in lower left; EV Watch in lower right:
IMG_5318.jpeg
AutoMate's Force Touch, user-selectable buttons; unlock, start, HVAC and charge:
IMG_5350.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSqB
Ok I’m just gonna put it bluntly - I am a minimalist asshole with a “modern” wallet that can hold about 4 cards and two $20 bills. We have two cards for the car, but I choose not to carry mine because I live in a fantasy land where everything works, even though I work in software, where anything working reliably is like seeing a unicorn jump over a ****ing rainbow.

I am the same. ;-) Jimi wallet FTW! That being said, I do carry the RFD card in there as a backup. It does work:
1) Drivers License
2) Apple CC
3) Telsa card key
4) Debit card
5) insurance card on other side under the cash.

As a minimalist, what more do you need? :) (Note, I only carry the debit card now because the Apple Card still freaks people out and I don't want them touching my baby! :) )

Worst case, I sometimes need to turn my phone pocket towards the car to get it recognized (apparently I have thick skin). But that is rare too.