Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’m very happy with Version 9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are so many companies so bad at UI design? I used to de usability testing of UI applications and it amazes me how poorly most sites and interfaces are designed, not functional but more like games or toys. Also, far too much real estate is wasted on all Tesla versions and where there is an opportunity for a more usable button for safety it is wasted. Designing a car UI is not for app developers or kids that like shitty games and hunting and pecking

Why are so many companies so bad at UI design? I used to de usability testing of UI applications and it amazes me how poorly most sites and interfaces are designed, not functional but more like games or toys. Also, far too much real estate is wasted on all Tesla versions and where there is an opportunity for a more usable button for safety it is wasted. Designing a car UI is not for app developers or kids that like shitty games and hunting and pecking

You should try doing UI design working for the government. You stray much further than how powerpoint looks and you get disapproved to move forward...

People that don't like version 9 are hallucinating, dumb or both.

It's not about like or unlike but it's about pointing a very preventable deficiency.

It's just like living in a house with all the doors functional before then, after a remodeling, some doors are still there as long as they are permanently nailed shut and immovable.

Human is adaptable so we can use other doors but that's unnecessary with a standard licensed contractor.

It's just another blackmail: If you want a home remodeling, I need to nail shut some doors.

If you want V9, the map must be nailed down as the background at all times.

Last edited:
You want people to just accept something that, because Tesla doesn't need bad press??? If they want to avoid bad press they should decide how I want to use my car. I don't want to see the NAV 100% of the time. I drove over 100 miles today and it actually bothered me to the point I put the screen on clean mode.
I agree, I don’t use the nav everyday and would like music and camera screens like I used to be able to select. CPRIII

Reactions: Amp Dup
It's not about like or unlike but it's about pointing a very preventable deficiency.

It's just like living in a house with all the doors functional before then, after a remodeling, some doors are still there as long as they are permanently nailed shut and immovable.

Human is adaptable so we can use other doors but that's unnecessary with a standard licensed contractor.

It's just another blackmail: If you want a home remodeling, I need to nail shut some doors.

More like a bad episode of "First time house flippers".

[QUOTE You stray much further than how powerpoint looks and you get disapproved to move forward...

I wish I knew what that sentence meant. I don't use Powerpoint but you may want to get a copy of Word:)[/QUOTE]

Fair point. The government LOOOOVES powerpoint for meetings and such. If you design a site/app that strays much further than how the look and feel of powerpoint is, they will reject your proposal to do the work.

What Tesla needs is users' feedback.

I don't know how Tesla works but it seems only to get users's feedback afterward and not before.

Historically, this has repeatedly caused problems for second-guessing what users want.

Some simple feedbacks were:

1) Cupholders: How hard could it be that Tesla was so resistant to fix the awkward position until the correct position for Model 3.

2) Coat hangers: Again, Tesla was so resistant until it provides them for Model 3.

3) Don't degrade home charging speed of S and X to Model 3's inferior level: When the X first came out, there as a big cry of degrading existing home charging from 80A from Model S to 42A current Model 3. It finally settled to 72A.

4) Unfoldable second row Model X: It was a scandal when it knew that it showed on its presentation that the second row of Model X would fold flat but its final production was unfoldable! It took a public cry afterward in order for Tesla to take users' wishes seriously and currently make it foldable.

This is an unnecessary self-induced crisis.

Why must it be a crisis in order for Tesla to listen to its customers' voices?

I am glad that many are pleased with V9 design that I can't even place my rearview camera on top and a third party map on a browser on bottom.

But that doesn't mean Tesla have to take other user-configurable capability away.

We are not talking about asking for the moon or any new features. That split screen capability has been active for the past 6 years.

Pull the rug from under our feet after 6 years is just mean or gross incompetent!

Thus, please write to Tesla and tell them to preserve Model S and X user top-half/bottom half configurable capability.
I spoke to someone at Tesla who told me they're collecting names of complainants -- if enough people are unhappy with v.9 they will offer a rollback to version 8. Here's how (since wait times on the phone are unreal):

[email protected]

Pass it around.

• Informative
Reactions: RayW and Eugene Ash
As an antidote to those losing their S over the version 9 update, I’d just like to say that I like the new look and the streamlining of features

To those that don’t - why not give it a couple of weeks and see how it works out for you? If you still don’t get on with it, then send a feature request to Tesla

What the company really doesn’t need right now is another stick to be beaten with - the press and the shorts will be all over this, and use the disgruntlement to generate more FUD
No antidote needed, friend. I think you should take the view that people who can afford a Tesla aren't by nature, you know...stupid?

If you love looking only at the nav screen, then I'm sure you will love v9. If you don't need your whole screen filled with the route you e been driving for 25 years, then you may also see that your 17 inch screen has the same functionality as a 2015 Leaf. 7 inch screen, one thing at a time.
A quick update, the last update made my touchscreen become unresponsive many times a day. The solution was an upgrade. Seems I still have the problem. It now takes 5 or 6 restarts, and a lot of times I need to pull over, stop the car start the reboot and get out of the car .

I like the functional changes brought about with V9, but not the GUI that it uses to access them. Most functions take more steps through poorly laid out display windows, and the inability to utilize the entire 17 inch screen as you want it is a huge step backward. The change in GUI style certainly is subjective and will be debated, but the extra steps to access functions, the layered menus, the much smaller touch icons, all will cause more distractions while trying to use while driving, and that is dangerous IMHO.

Even the improvements with blind spot monitoring are reduced by using a smaller vehicle icon; I can barely make out the ultrasonic sensor colors, or see if the lights are functioning, all little features that were useful and different from other vehicles. It feels like everything was randomly assigned, and that the overall resolution and graphical design of all the screens was reduced from amazing to low res....very disappointed...

And the AP2 is still not working any better; in fact, the swaying in lane has increased, and HOV lane issues have not improved...

I spoke to someone at Tesla who told me they're collecting names of complainants -- if enough people are unhappy with v.9 they will offer a rollback to version 8. Here's how (since wait times on the phone are unreal):

[email protected]

Pass it around.

Also, they are still collecting signatures to go back to MSDOS software.... because why move on to Blu-ray when the VCR still works?

Taking your analogy one step further, nailing some doors shut impacts safety, as well. So does this "update" that requires much more eyes-off-the-road attention from the driver...and always will. It's not a matter of "get used to it."

Traffic depictions, blind spot warnings, smarter & safer lane changes, smoother lane tracking and lane/exit depiction are just some of what I love about version 9. UI changes I am mostly OK with, but would NEVER give up the EAP advantages for cosmetics and minor inconveniences learning to live with the new UI (back up camera window position, media player funkiness). BTW my S90D is a late 2016 EAP+FSD MCU1 vehicle.

From my morning I5 traffic jam commute:

Attachments

• IMG_2081.jpeg
    IMG_2081.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2082.jpeg
    IMG_2082.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 68