Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ve been invited to configure. Should I?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Defer. That's what I'm planning. You can think of it as cheap insurance for the future (accident or change of circumstances). I have several family, friends, and acquaintances that are interested but I'm not sure I will get past the trust issue. However, if one of them paid me cash up front, I'd have to reconsider.

Defer. That's what I'm planning. You can think of it as cheap insurance for the future (accident or change of circumstances). I have several family, friends, and acquaintances that are interested but I'm not sure I will get past the trust issue. However, if one of them paid me cash up front, I'd have to reconsider.
If you can configure right now and would want to give up the spot, I would be willing to pay you all cash up front and could also let you use my model 3 reservation which is a day 1 line waiter and owner priority if you would like in the future.

If you can configure right now and would want to give up the spot, I would be willing to pay you all cash up front and could also let you use my model 3 reservation which is a day 1 line waiter and owner priority if you would like in the future.
I don't expect to be able to configure until 2018 at the earliest. Yes, I'm on the west coast, but in the sticks, not CA or even Seattle/Portland.

I'm in the same boat. I love my MS except for its size. I haven't tried AP but it does seem awesome. I've decided to sit tight and wait on the 3 until I get a chance to drive one and the options I want are available.

"I love the MS except for its size...."

As an oooold driver, I remember back in the day. All American cars were big. We had a big land, a new highway system, wide open spaces. Nothing like Europe's crowded cities, narrow roads the size of alleys winding through and around towns. They had the Volkswagen and the Renault. WooHoo. And Hillman!

Then Japan started making cars. Their goal was to sell lots of cheap cars, which were necessarily small and underpowered. Americans laughed at them. Toyotas and Hondas barely had room for me and my brother. You notice that the new Toyotas are about twice as big as the originals, though still small.

Seems like a lot of folk here have grown up on the tiny foreign cars, and now a real American car is "too big". Too bad. I love my S. Plenty of room. No different than a Dodge or Ford SUV or pickup as to size, but a whale of a lot more looks and power. I have no trouble parking it. I can put about anything in it.

I drove all those tiny cars, owned a few. But that's the past. I'm going with the future. So glad Tesla is making a real American car!

• Love
Reactions: VRM3 and Ulmo
"I love the MS except for its size...."

As an oooold driver, I remember back in the day. All American cars were big. We had a big land, a new highway system, wide open spaces. Nothing like Europe's crowded cities, narrow roads the size of alleys winding through and around towns. They had the Volkswagen and the Renault. WooHoo. And Hillman!

Then Japan started making cars. Their goal was to sell lots of cheap cars, which were necessarily small and underpowered. Americans laughed at them. Toyotas and Hondas barely had room for me and my brother. You notice that the new Toyotas are about twice as big as the originals, though still small.

Seems like a lot of folk here have grown up on the tiny foreign cars, and now a real American car is "too big". Too bad. I love my S. Plenty of room. No different than a Dodge or Ford SUV or pickup as to size, but a whale of a lot more looks and power. I have no trouble parking it. I can put about anything in it.

I drove all those tiny cars, owned a few. But that's the past. I'm going with the future. So glad Tesla is making a real American car!

I file this under "To each, their own". The Model S is a pretty big car and even the 3 is bigger than I'd like. The Model S is actually too big for my garage unless I sell my motorcycle or park it outside, neither of which are going to happen, so even if I could get past the things I don't like about the S, it doesn't work for me size-wise. I do not (and never will) have kids, and I don't care about the comfort of anyone who's sitting in the back seat, so a bigger car is of no benefit to me, only downsides.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Just to clarify, I don’t have a problem parking per se (and the Tesla parks “itself” quite nicely)...the issue is that sometimes there is very little room left to each side (skinny spots) and I’m always a bit fearful of the adjacent owner being careless or accidentally whacking my tough to repair aluminum door. I am willing to park a bit farther out to have more space, but sometimes that’s not an option and I must “wedge” the S into a tight spot between two cars. It’s these times that the size of the S is more noticeable. And the garage is also a bit tight. When I’m driving it, I’m ok with the size (though nitpicking, I’d like a larger rear view mirror and that collapsible center headrest from the Model 3 for improved visibility)

though nitpicking, I’d like a larger rear view mirror and that collapsible center headrest from the Model 3 for improved visibility

One thing I rapidly took to doing while I had an S for a 3day extended test drive was to get in the habit of using the rearview camera instead of the mirror. Annoyingly, this won't be practical with the Model 3 because it can't simultaneously display nav and camera, at least yet.

I was a day 1 (31st here in the US) reservation holder who waited in line at the Palo Alto Tesla store. Fully intended to get a Model 3 as the Model S seemed like a bit of overkill (size and $ wise). I would bide my time until Model 3 came to production.

Then Tesla announced in March of this year that they were discontinuing the Model S 60/60D and between FOMO and the fact that I anticipated that the difference in price between a optioned out dual motor Model 3 and the 60D I was looking at wouldn’t be a life changing amount of money different...I sprung for a optioned out 60D. Later upgraded to 75D.

At that point I wasn’t sure what to do with my Model 3 reservation.

Now yesterday I got an invitation to configure. Which was earlier than I expected.

I have the choice to 1) configure and buy the Model 3 LR now with the intention to replace MS, 2) keep reservation and keep waiting for the dual motor and to drive the thing in person, 3) cancel my reservation and just keep my Model S and continue to be happy with it, 4) arrange a somewhat complicated “transfer” of the car to someone else.

I love my Model S. I have seen the Model 3 (in person) many times now but still haven’t ridden in one, let alone drove one. Yes, I’ve watched all the videos but watching others drive it and experiencing it for myself are two different things.

I don’t need both Model S and Model 3 so it’s definitely one or the other.

I’m current leaning towards deferring the decision by going with option #2 and wait for dual motor m3 to come out and to test drive it. But i don’t know. If I had a chance to drive a Model 3 it might help me make a decision to go M3 or stay MS. First world problems I guess.

Anyone else in this same boat?

Those of you who have been invited to configure, what did you save as far as your configuration preference on the Tesla website? I have saved my preference for AWD and have been given a Jul-Sept 18 estimation of delivery. I am trying to figure out if I will be invited to configure before AWD is available and can just defer until AWD is available. I would like to get invite as soon as possible and then decide. Should I change my preference to First production? 4/1 reservation, Midwest, current owner.

I have saved my preference for AWD and have been given a Jul-Sept 18 estimation of delivery. I am trying to figure out if I will be invited to configure before AWD is available and can just defer until AWD is available. I would like to get invite as soon as possible and then decide. Should I change my preference to First production? 4/1 reservation, Midwest, current owner.
I had my configuration set for SR battery but as a result of the speculation and experience here on TMC, I just changed it to first production which will get me a quicker invite. When I get my invite, I can go ahead and order first production or defer for the SR battery, my choice. My understanding is that when the SR battery becomes available, I can activate my invitation and then jump to the head of the line for SR battery. Regardless of whether that is true or not, selecting first production now just gives me more flexibility for choice on down the line.

Those of you who have been invited to configure, what did you save as far as your configuration preference on the Tesla website? I have saved my preference for AWD and have been given a Jul-Sept 18 estimation of delivery. I am trying to figure out if I will be invited to configure before AWD is available and can just defer until AWD is available. I would like to get invite as soon as possible and then decide. Should I change my preference to First production? 4/1 reservation, Midwest, current owner.
I had mine saved as AWD and still got an invite for the first production.

So many people on the same boat.. Including myself.. We got our MS delivered this past March.
Now that our Model 3 configurator is live, i have no clue what to do.. We do have a 2nd beater car, '06 Toyota Corolla, but we don't really need 2nd car.. I was thinking of getting the M3 and maybe list it on Turo for rentals half of the time?

So many people on the same boat.. Including myself.. We got our MS delivered this past March.
Now that our Model 3 configurator is live, i have no clue what to do.. We do have a 2nd beater car, '06 Toyota Corolla, but we don't really need 2nd car.. I was thinking of getting the M3 and maybe list it on Turo for rentals half of the time?
The model 3 is not a small MS the MS is a high end car across the board I am a 3 fan but it not near the same class of car. I have driven a couple hundred miles in the 3 (employee friend) if you have the S keep the S
Wait on the 3 for better options/configs

• Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan