Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am about to buy a used 2014 model s 60 with 80k miles for 28k. Am I making a huge mistake?

should i buy this car

• yes

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • no

Votes: 23 85.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have all the service records and alot of things were replaced in the vehicle including MCU, 12V battery and drivetrain. However the HV batteries have not been replaced. The batteries do have 2 more years of warranty on it but nothing else on the car has a warranty and I spoke with tesla and cannot extend the 50k mile warranty. Also I read in one of the service records that the previous owner saw range fall to 157 miles at 80% charge but the dealer sends me a video that shows 191 miles at 86% charge. Should I be worried about the condition of the battery?

That car has 80k miles and you actually thought tesla would sell you an extended warranty?

Honestly it all comes down to whether or not that amount of range is good enough for you right now. Also consider the fact that it’ll continue losing range over the next few years.
Another thing to consider is the battery warranty, they aren’t cheap, and since it’s never been replaced I’d be concerned about it being on its last legs so to speak.

If it were me I’d pass.

Reactions: cwerdna
I have all the service records and alot of things were replaced in the vehicle including MCU, 12V battery and drivetrain. However the HV batteries have not been replaced. The batteries do have 2 more years of warranty on it but nothing else on the car has a warranty and I spoke with tesla and cannot extend the 50k mile warranty. Also I read in one of the service records that the previous owner saw range fall to 157 miles at 80% charge but the dealer sends me a video that shows 191 miles at 86% charge. Should I be worried about the condition of the battery?

It's rated for 208 miles. 86% should be 179 miles. So, your 191 miles is pretty good!

It's a lottery when you buy a used car, so there's no telling!

Pass. Especially if it's the primary car, there's no way to know for sure that everything will work fine. Also, for just a bit more, you can find a newer one with a bigger battery.

Something like this would be a great choice for about $20k if you can easily spare the cash and don't need to rely on the car 100% of the time.

previous owner saw range fall to 157 miles at 80% charge but the dealer sends me a video that shows 191 miles at 86% charge. Should I be worried about the condition of the battery?
Dealer is trying to rip you off by showing “ideal” range vs “rated” range, so I wouldn’t trust him on anything, either he doesn’t know EVs or is a crook, neither one a good thing for you, the buyer.
Read up a lot more on this site before you pull the trigger on any Tesla so no one else will pull the wool over your eyes.
Good luck with your eventual purchase!

Reactions: AMPd
I would pass as well. I would not worry about the mileage, but rather battery size and outdated electronics.

I would definitely take a pass, but it really depends on how you intend to use it and how much cash reserves you're comfortable having in case of out of warranty repairs. A 60 pack would be perfectly fine for short 120 mile roundtrip drives or as a secondary car, but I would seriously consider a 75/85/90 pack if you plan to drive greater distances.

Does it have Supercharger access? If I'm not mistaken, it wasn't included on the early 60 kWh S and cost extra $.
I would definitely take a pass, but it really depends on how you intend to use it and how much cash reserves you're comfortable having in case of out of warranty repairs.
Yep. And, from the year and Vehicle Warranty, I guess it only has an 8 year/125K mile HV battery pack and DU warranty. This guy with an old 60 kWh S got unlucky and bit the bullet to pay $11K (actually a decent price for the capacity): What to do?!?!? 2013 Model S 60 Battery fail. Symptoms at What to do?!?!? 2013 Model S 60 Battery fail

I'm not sure if you want the size, prestige, styling, particular features, OTA updates, etc. of the S, but for perspective but you can supposedly buy brand new 2020 Bolts (259 mile EPA range rating) for just a bit over $25K (yes, I know it's a much smaller car, looks worse, has a FAR inferior interior and worse stereo, DC fast charges slower on an inferior network, etc.). New Chevrolet Bolt EV Vehicles for Sale in Gaithersburg, MD - Criswell Chevrolet (yes, it's on the other side of the country) supposedly has them starting from $25,235 (at that price, there's only a lone option: DC FC inlet). It's still eligible for $1875 Federal tax credit (Federal Tax Credits for Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Cars) and if your income is low enough and otherwise eligible (Eligibility Guidelines), you can get another $2K CVRP.

In general, Bolts are heavily discounted. Its MSRP is silly and has been like that for awhile. Since you're in CA, you have numerous other EV choices and non-Tesla and non-GM EVs qualify for $7500 Federal tax credit.

Bumper to bumper warranty on Bolts is 3 years/36K miles. EV bits including drive unit and battery pack are covered for 8 years/100K miles. And, since it's new and would've never been registered in CA before, you can get an HOV sticker: Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board. Not sure if that matters to you.
I would pass as well. I would not worry
battery size and outdated electronics.
Outdated electronics: yes. What's wrong w/the battery size? It's unknown what the OP's use cases are.

My commute's under 13 miles each way and I can L2 charge for free at work and can L1 charge at home if I need to. So, a '13 Leaf w/24 kWh battery (a whopping 84 miles on EPA test on a new battery) had been fine as my primary car from end of July 2013 until Jan 2019. I used an ICEV (that usually sat for months at a time) as my "range extender".

It's still suitable but I sold my ICEV and bought a Bolt, which I intend to be my only car.

OP, what are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your home/work/destinations?

Last edited:
Every situation is different. Personally, I'd keep looking due to limitations with the 60 (cap on battery warranty, slower/possibly no supercharger access, etc...). Minimally I'd go for a 75D and pick up a third-party warranty if a Tesla warranty was unavailable.

The Tesla you want is out there.

Do you really want a Model S that bad? Why not consider an off menu ~$36k with destination Model 3 Standard Range (220 mile rating, no autopilot) or a Standard Range plus ~$41k (250 miles with autopilot) ? They both will have the newer MCU display rather than the less responsive MCU1 on an older S/X. You'll have a 100k mile battery/drive unit warranty and 50k bumper to bumper, plus they are more energy efficient and supercharge faster.

Also if you buy new the financing will have better interest rate.

Reactions: cwerdna