TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I am in the club - rear ended today

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Acho, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Acho

Acho Member

Yep, it happened to me too!

Minor damage since I was waiting on red light and the car behind me after minute or two released the brake and rolled into me /light was still red/.

Damages that are visible are torn wrap, possible scratched paint on the bumper, license plate srew head impression and some light scratches on the black plastick skirt under the bumper.

The driver of the other car stated that My car rolled backwards and hit her /they stated this infront of the police officers/. The ofecer told me that they can not write conclusion whose falt it is since it is my word against their so the insurance company has to determine whose falt it is.

Tha good stuff: they happened to be with same as mine insurance so no ping pong betweent two companies and the best one - i have it recorded on my dashcam so they can claim whatever they want - I have it on video.

Now some bonus questions: since the damage seems small I don't know if they are going to pay for my bumper to be fixed/replaced. I also don't know If I can claim the wrap for the bumper since is has to be rewrapped.

Anyone with experience with claim for the wrap?

Thanks

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. kdday

kdday Member

Love you have it on dashcam. Post the video!

• Like x 1
  3. Acho

Acho Member

First I have to find out how to separate front from rear video. Now they play together in separate windows /VLC/

4. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Go after them ... and let us know the results :cool:

5. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Condolences re the impact. Glad you have the dashcams. Also contact Tesla to see what if any footage they can or will provide - that may take some... persuasion.

If Blackvue dashcams then the mobile app will facilitate choosing separately front or rear footage. Then save to internal storage off the SD card and then to wherever.

Good luck.

• Like x 2
  6. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

“I have dash cam footage. Would you like to change the official statement you made to the officer or shall I contact them?”

• Love x 2
  7. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

make copies of the video and store online or otherwise physically seperate it from your home (a backup on your desktop PC + a card in your safe deposit box, or home + online storage). Feel free to share with us on vimeo or youtube or dropbox or whatever service you prefer.

Remember every day is International Backup Awareness Day.

8. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

"Okaayyyyyyy...... let's go to the video!!! "

Love it.

• Like x 1
  9. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

I would think that wrap damage would be covered. No reason why it wouldn’t.

• Like x 1
  10. RAVAGESofTIME

RAVAGESofTIME Member

My wrap replacement was covered.

11. Acho

Acho Member

I did it - they were old Asians that barely speak any English. The funny fact is that they offered me $200 to forget it

Here is the video from the rear cam. It is not that spectacular but you asked for it ;) /time code of the impact 0:14/

• Love x 7
    • Like x 6
  12. 21LED

21LED Member

I could watch this all day... hahaha. Man, i would lose it

• Like x 2
  13. Acho

Acho Member

I saw with my peripheral vision on the center screen camera that the car behind me is getting bigger and checked the light if it is green and got hit before I knew it was coming. Even If I was watching the rear camera there was no place to escape since I was second car /mine is 2014 S85 and was made just before they introduce "jump over a car" function ;) /

14. Ande

Ande Member

Isn't it punishable to lie to the police ? Liers like that deserve that.

• Like x 1
  15. Acho

Acho Member

This was exactly my thought. It is clear if there are two completely different versions about the same event one of the sides lies but the officer seemed ok with that

16. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

Love it!

Hate sleazy liars!!

17. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

Reality says that the police don’t have time to deal with who’s at fault for fender benders. Serious accidents where re-creation of the scene, sure. They know insurance (either/both sides) will deal with it.
    In this case, since it’s the same insurance company and you have the footage, it should be pretty straight forward for you. Now if the other party (or family rep) keeps trying to blame you ahead of your insurance making the call, then by all means, make them squirm. ;)

• Like x 1
  18. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

To be generous, the might have only noticed at the moment of impact, and genuinely think they were rolled back on.
    Thankfully there’s video. I’m gonna get a dash cam.

• Funny x 1
  19. Acho

Acho Member

Do you think if the car get repaired trough the insurance it will be reported to carfax?

The damages are minimal but repairs on tesla are expensive.

Pics from the impact zone:

IMG_0115.JPG IMG_0117.JPG

20. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

Nothing to get in a tizzy about