Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am in the club - rear ended today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, it happened to me too!

Minor damage since I was waiting on red light and the car behind me after minute or two released the brake and rolled into me /light was still red/.

Damages that are visible are torn wrap, possible scratched paint on the bumper, license plate srew head impression and some light scratches on the black plastick skirt under the bumper.

The driver of the other car stated that My car rolled backwards and hit her /they stated this infront of the police officers/. The ofecer told me that they can not write conclusion whose falt it is since it is my word against their so the insurance company has to determine whose falt it is.

Tha good stuff: they happened to be with same as mine insurance so no ping pong betweent two companies and the best one - i have it recorded on my dashcam so they can claim whatever they want - I have it on video.

Now some bonus questions: since the damage seems small I don't know if they are going to pay for my bumper to be fixed/replaced. I also don't know If I can claim the wrap for the bumper since is has to be rewrapped.

Anyone with experience with claim for the wrap?

Thanks

First I have to find out how to separate front from rear video. Now they play together in separate windows /VLC/

Condolences re the impact. Glad you have the dashcams. Also contact Tesla to see what if any footage they can or will provide - that may take some... persuasion.

If Blackvue dashcams then the mobile app will facilitate choosing separately front or rear footage. Then save to internal storage off the SD card and then to wherever.

Good luck.

Reactions: Acho and Chris350
“I have dash cam footage. Would you like to change the official statement you made to the officer or shall I contact them?”
I did it - they were old Asians that barely speak any English. The funny fact is that they offered me $200 to forget it

"Okaayyyyyyy...... let's go to the video!!! "

Love it.

Here is the video from the rear cam. It is not that spectacular but you asked for it ;) /time code of the impact 0:14/

I saw with my peripheral vision on the center screen camera that the car behind me is getting bigger and checked the light if it is green and got hit before I knew it was coming. Even If I was watching the rear camera there was no place to escape since I was second car /mine is 2014 S85 and was made just before they introduce "jump over a car" function ;) /

Reality says that the police don’t have time to deal with who’s at fault for fender benders. Serious accidents where re-creation of the scene, sure. They know insurance (either/both sides) will deal with it.
In this case, since it’s the same insurance company and you have the footage, it should be pretty straight forward for you. Now if the other party (or family rep) keeps trying to blame you ahead of your insurance making the call, then by all means, make them squirm. ;)

Reactions: croman
Do you think if the car get repaired trough the insurance it will be reported to carfax?

The damages are minimal but repairs on tesla are expensive.

Pics from the impact zone:

IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG