Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

I am mad with Tesla trade in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla could remove free SC from CPO cars (or, in fact, make other modifications to the car) since they own them but I doubt they would even know about a private sale so it would be hard to remove SC access.

Every new owner sets up a new My Tesla account right now. Otherwise the old owner would still have app access to mess with the car.

A change of login to the account could be for many reasons. Not necessarily change of ownership.
Even assuming Tesla would/could try to remove free SC, it would be hard to enforce.
I obtained my Tesla via private party transaction. I had to send Tesla proof of ownership (e.g. title / registration) before they would tie the car to my Tesla account. If they continue this practice, they will generally know when private party transactions occur.

Having said that, I would be quite surprised if Tesla removes free supercharging due to a private party transaction. While they could likely weasel out of it legally, it would be quite poor form. In my opinion, this would be even worse than limiting ludicrous power output or optimistically spec'ing battery pack sizes.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
My trade in numbers so far is a bit all over.

Tesla - (dealer network) was at 25k
Benz dealer was 28k
USAA buy my car is 29,055.

The car is a CPO 2015 Benz c300 4matic fully loaded. About 53k sticker and only 15k miles. Pretty sad as I will have to put 30k on top of my trade in to get a 14 P85 w/ 40k miles.

Hi,

also for us Tesla's trade-in policy has been an issue - on two occasions.

First when trading in a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV from March 2014 against a Model S 60D this fall. The trade-in offer arrived 2 hours before we were to pick up the new vehicle, so we had made other arrangements.

The second time when after two months, due to back problems, we had to get out of the Model S and into a Model X.

The initial trade-in offer, after only 4,000 km, was only 70,000 EUR, a whopping 23K cut on the price paid. After negotiation Tesla upped their offer by 10K, but it's still an enormous cut which we didn't expect.

So our Model X better be good, as it's going to be with us for a LONG time....

FWIW, I traded in my fully loaded 2011 Infiniti QX56 with >70k miles in decent condition for $25k to Tesla. KBB/Edmunds estimate was in the $27k range for trade in value and 28ish for private party. I listed my old truck on a few sites, got some bites, but no firm offers. Decided to accept the Tesla trade in offer, since the tax benefit for trading it in as part of a new sale transaction in NY made the $1-2k trade quote difference moot and it was much less to deal with logistically. No CarMax close enough to NYC to run the appraisal, plus I didn't know that they matched CarMax offers at the time. Next time will definitely keep it in mind.

I was told that they will deduct 25 cents per mile, and they told me thats all I have to worry about. I asked them if they are sure so many times that I feel that I was annoying. I put over 2500 miles and it should be 625 less to be exact. They told me there is a significant depreciation on my car since October. So they took off 4k. I am so mad right now, I dont even want my X anymore.

I thought Tesla quoted $1/mile for CPO cars .... not $0.25?

They are taking $1 per mile on a buy back. .25 seems low. How many total mikes did you put per year?

I agree and raised the question with the original poster ... and doubt if Tesla ever quoted$ 0.25 per mile (less than the IRS rate :cool:

Last edited: