Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am now planning to get the full self-driving option and here is why

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, reality/hyperbole check: I sure hope that Tesla does not have "millions of real cars" on the road as that would mean the federal tax credit would have been eaten up by now. Even accounting for the number of cars that were sold outside the US. Now if you meant "millions of real car miles", then okay.

Ah yes - thanks for catching that. I was going back and forth between the hundreds of thousands of cars and the billions of miles and forgot to correct that.

Given how Tesla's navigation isn't the best at selecting routes, will self driving get lost a lot or spend a lot time in traffic?

Navigation first, self driving second.

There's a major update to nav and maps coming soon (next few months). Supposedly replaces Tesla/Navigon nav with Google Maps, so it should be way better. It's based on work done on the 3's firmware, which folks have confirmed to be using Google Maps for nav.

There's a major update to nav and maps coming soon (next few months). Supposedly replaces Tesla/Navigon nav with Google Maps, so it should be way better. It's based on work done on the 3's firmware, which folks have confirmed to be using Google Maps for nav.
Glad they've stopped trying to reinvent the wheel. I think Apple just accepted it can't do maps either.

Reactions: dss33 and jbcarioca

Only downside is the 3 using those Google maps requires cell signal right now. They will have to eventually have stored maps for FSD. Otherwise I will never make it out of the desert on road trips, LOL.

• Informative
Reactions: dss33
I have received the invitation to build my Model 3, but am deferring primarily for the dual motor setup. As for FSD, I am in fully, and the reason is that by participating (and driving a lot in the places I like to visit) I will be contributing to the improvement of the system and the eventual safety of all drivers. Opt out now, and you become a free rider as the world of "driving" changes to "not driving." Opt out now, and the future may never come. While I personally enjoy driving, I know we will have a safer world of people moving greater and greater distances using low or zero-carbon transportation options when self-driving EVs become the norm on the roads.

I hear you and I agree BUT Enhanced Autopilot is not the same as Full Self Driving.

I have EAP and drive places I hope are "training" Tesla but I'm hanging on to my money for FSD. I try to train my EAP Tesla at every opportunity with new roads, different conditions and drivers across different software versions.

If you pay for FSD before it's enabled and say wreck your car or sell it on then it's money gone. Altruistically, your FSD money may be helping Tesla, like reservation money does, but I don't think so.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I hate to be the one to break it to you but your vehicles as they are currently constructed will never be full self driving.
Will your car be able to communicate with all of the other cars in the vicinity and vice versa?
Do we have intelligent road construction zones that communicate the details of the construction area as you approach?
Lidar?
Can the car see other autos, cyclists or pedestrians from two or three vehicles away?

If Musk wants to go NY to LA as promised without the driver lifting a finger, then he should do it himself, put a crash test dummy in the front and he can sit in the back.

Check back in a decade.
Paying for something you will never get will not make it happen sooner... although that money could help fund Tesla's legal team as they fight
off lawsuits by those owners who pay for FSD, never get it, and get a little bent out of shape.

Reactions: cwerdna
Maybe a stupid question, but if you buy FSD and then total your car, does the insurance company not see a difference between a $55K NON-FSD and a $58K FSD vehicle?

Yes, they will see the difference. However, you will most likely have to provide them the build sheet for the car showing the option. Odds are they won't get it on the first try.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
I hate to be the one to break it to you but your vehicles as they are currently constructed will never be full self driving.
Will your car be able to communicate with all of the other cars in the vicinity and vice versa?
Do we have intelligent road construction zones that communicate the details of the construction area as you approach?
Lidar?
Can the car see other autos, cyclists or pedestrians from two or three vehicles away?

If Musk wants to go NY to LA as promised without the driver lifting a finger, then he should do it himself, put a crash test dummy in the front and he can sit in the back.

Check back in a decade.
Paying for something you will never get will not make it happen sooner... although that money could help fund Tesla's legal team as they fight
off lawsuits by those owners who pay for FSD, never get it, and get a little bent out of shape.

Depends on what you expect FSD to be. Level 5, no way...that would require a lot of what you're referring to. Level 3...perhaps, and in the next two or three years at that.

Though level 3 wouldn't quite allow the car to drive by itself, with no one on board, to the service center (though more Tesla Rangers will make this mostly unnecessary). Or to join the Tesla Network and become an autonomous taxi. The thing we don't really understand is the neural network. It could be game changing once it's fully operational and I think that's what they're banking on. But we'll have to wait and see.