Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't decide!! Used S vs new Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So your ultimate buying decision is rear-seat comfortability for a teenager and then young adult?

5 inches is all you get more in a Y than a S for rear leg room (per Compare Tesla Model S vs Tesla Model Y).

Is 5 inches worth more to you than all of of the below (from your own comment)? How often is the teenager, soon to be young adult, riding in the back versus where they might in the front seat.
5 inches is actually pretty significant as far as leg room goes (roughly the difference between BMW 5 series and 7 series for example), but the specific numbers do make me wonder how it's actually measured.

Last edited:
I have an S and my wife has a Y performance. She hates the S. She thinks it's uncomfortable and hard to get in and out of.

If this is a family car, get the Y. It's higher to the ground and much more family friendly. If this is your car and your daily driver, get the S.
My wife hated both my S and 3... she actually prefers her Chevy Bolt, if you can believe it. It is easier to get in/out, holds more (than the 3) and is easier to park (than the S) and has better visibility (than both, cameras aside). I might even agree with her, if I squint... if it weren't for the bloody "on" button, that I can't stand.

It is a family car. Your point is taken.

So your ultimate buying decision is rear-seat comfortability for a teenager and then young adult?

5 inches is all you get more in a Y than a S for rear leg room (per Compare Tesla Model S vs Tesla Model Y).

Is 5 inches worth more to you than all of of the below (from your own comment)? How often is the teenager, soon to be young adult, riding in the back versus where they might in the front seat.
Well yeah... I care about my son. Is that weird?
~15500 miles (25000 km) to me is not "barely" used.
No, you're right. That is actually kind of on the high side for a 2023, isn't it? But still, less than a year old is what I was getting at :) But you are right.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Onl
It isn't quite as simple as the title suggests.

My M3 was written off. I have two insurance policies. The first already paid me what they said the depreciated value was. The second pays me the difference between whatever I buy, and what the first policy paid me, up to the value of a black 2023 M3 LR with FSD +$3k.

I already have a deposit on a MY and a delivery appointment on Thursday (in 48 hours from now). I've got airfare and a hotel booked to go get it.

But then I found a listing for a 2023 MS (not plaid) with white seats, FSD, yolk, plus full Xpel PPF (about $6k here) and less than 25000 km.

I would be out of pocket by about $9.5k with the MS, which I totally think is worth it.

The dilemma?

1) is there anything weird in buying a used Tesla where they strip off the FSD or something? I know some things aren't transferable?
2) the leg room in the MY is reportedly 5 full inches more in the rear. My son is 12 now, but he'll be adult sized before long. Is a road trip going to be more comfortable for my family in the S or the Y?
3) the cargo space in the Y is considerable more
4) the big dilemma: the insurance company adjuster is telling me a used vehicle bought from a private seller won't qualify for the full payout. I disagree. I can read a contract and there's no such restriction. That said, it might take a fight in court to get the full value (or just getting the right manager on the line). There's a minimum amount they'll pay me anyway... it ends up being about a $15k difference. So, potentially, the S is $24.5k more.

All $ discussed are Canadian dollars. C$1 =~ US$0.75

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

The safe bet is the Y. But man... a practically brand new S with full PPF for one $9.5k-$24.5k out of pocket?

I wish I wasn't so pressed for time here lol.

Ps. I had a 2015 S and a 2019 3 so I'm at least somewhat familiar with the vehicles.
Only you can decide. However, it sounds like you need a family car and insurance is pushing you that way too. MY is a family car, MS is not.

You're not wrong.

The safer decision is the Y, for sure. I don't have to fight with the insurance co, and it probably does suit our day-to-day needs a bit better.

But... I miss my S :) And this seems like a genuinely good deal.

Sigh, I remain torn.

The insurance co got back to me an hour ago and said they'll "escalate the matter". Honestly, it shouldn't matter to them who I buy it from, so I guess they just need the right person to look at it. If they get back to me in time with an OK, I'll go for the S. If the S seller doesn't answer me about directions to his place, I'll get the Y.

Lol. I'm getting a Tesla on Thursday anyway :) I'm guessing it'll probably be the Y, and I'll probably spend the rest of my years wondering "what could have been"

You're not wrong.

The safer decision is the Y, for sure. I don't have to fight with the insurance co, and it probably does suit our day-to-day needs a bit better.

Sigh, I remain torn.

The insurance co got back to me an hour ago and said they'll "escalate the matter". Honestly, it shouldn't matter to them who I buy it from, so I guess they just need the right person to look at it. If they get back to me in time with an OK, I'll go for the S. If the S seller doesn't answer me about directions to his place, I'll get the Y.

Lol. I'm getting a Tesla on Thursday anyway :) I'm guessing it'll probably be the Y, and I'll probably spend the rest of my years wondering "what could have been"
Your family will appreciate your sacrifice by getting the MY. In six years you can get your newer tech MS and give the MY to your son as he goes off to college.

Well yeah... I care about my son. Is that weird?

No, you're right. That is actually kind of on the high side for a 2023, isn't it? But still, less than a year old is what I was getting at :) But you are right.
Not weird, fellow father and definitely understand the reasoning behind the purchase. I just wanted to draw that distinction - it is not a car feature that’s swaying your decision, but a functional feature.

15000 miles in a year or less - definitely on the high side. What is the manufacture date of the car? If it’s six months, I would be even more concerned. I am two years in, just crossed the 15500 mark.

I had a S for >3 years before transitioning to a model 3 in 2018. I haven’t missed the S one time. The S was a lot larger with no more interior space, drove like a boat. Unless you were talking plad (which you are not) I can’t think of a single reason I would take a S over a Y or 3, even for the same price.
Respectfully…..any version refresh S is an upgrade over 3.
My plaid was in the shop for service. I had a model 3P for 4 days.
In every driving metric and especially aesthetically the S was significantly better. I Couldn’t wait to get my car back.
Was like comparing an entry-level Mercedes to an AMG. I’m not just speaking about speed either. To each their own.👍

For what it's worth, we have a Y and grown kids (son is 5-8, daughters smaller). We regularly drive 300 miles to Seattle from Spokane for weekends, taking the Y, with all 3 kids back there (ages 25, 22 and 20). They are happy to make the trip any time.

I'm 6-1, and my son has plenty of room behind me, never have to move the seat up. Heck, I can sit behind me, no problem.

We do have to stop twice to charge, so we arrive with some buffer, but in maybe 10 trips over so far, we've had to stop more for bio breaks anyway.

(the kids have all moved out and have their own cars, but usually prefer not to drive themselves, and pay for gas)

The Y has a pretty harsh ride on the rough bumps, we're going to get better struts when these finally need replacing (older non-"comfort" suspension), or I can sneak the cost past my (accountant) wife.

I really prefer the Y's higher seats, over the 3 or S. Friend has both, and it's a big difference getting out. I feel like I'm on all fours climbing up off the ground. (getting old I guess, only 57, but no patience for low cars any more).

You're not wrong.

Sigh, I remain torn.

I love the S but sounds like Y is safer choice for you and your wife likes it better as well.

You're not wrong.

Sigh, I remain torn.

Reading through this thread I don't think your torn at all. I get the impression that you're REALLY trying to talk yourself INTO the MY. I understand the thoughtfulness being given to your son. But @ 16 will he not be driving himself around? As mentioned previously, if the seat behind the wifey is his, the issue kinda disappears correct?

I get the feeling that if you go with the MY your going to kick yourself everytime you get into it, then kick yourself again when you see a MS next to you at a light or supercharger.

Get the S before it's gone. Be happy.

Good luck with it!!

Buy the S. No question in my mind. In the past 2 years I've had the MY LR, M3 LR, MS LR and MS Plaid. The only car of the bunch I regret buying was the MY LR. Never does a day go by that I even remotely miss the Y. Nor does my wife ever miss it either. She likes our 3 better.

Comparing directly the MY and MS, the MS was more efficient per mile, much greater range, much better ride quality, better lights, more comfortable and the list goes on. Surprisingly versatile for carrying. The only thing the Y was better at was having more backseat room and I might be able to fit something a touch bigger in the trunk.

Not to mention Y's are a dime a dozen. They are the new soccer (football) mom's car in my area. In my area, insurance was less on my MS LR nad MS Plaid than my MY LR. Go figure.

Looking at the Y reminds me of the saying, "Beauty is only skin deep but ugly goes all the way to the bone." Literally, buy the S and never look back.

We have both the 2015 85D S and the 2021 SR Y. I agree the Y has the better back seat arrangement, but the S has the more comfortable road trip ride. The 3 is not even in the running, the low height trunk does not support enough luggage space for all the passengers. We have taken the S across Canada and down to Phoenix and back. Granted the heat pump is a great upgrade in the newer cars.
One disappointment with the Y, the trunk floor to ceiling measurement where the lowest part of the ceiling resides is actually 2cm less than the model S, the S trunk is actually set deeper in the car. Big bummer when we tried to put our folding bike in the Y thinking it was taller. Overall the Y is more useful day to day, but having the S for a road trip is beyond the Y/3.

My wife hated both my S and 3... she actually prefers her Chevy Bolt, if you can believe it. It is easier to get in/out, holds more (than the 3) and is easier to park (than the S) and has better visibility (than both, cameras aside). I might even agree with her, if I squint... if it weren't for the bloody "on" button, that I can't stand.

I own both an S and a Y. They are very different cars. The Y is much easier to get in/out of especially for older people or those with limited mobility. I also like the packaging of the Y in terms of storage capacity.

What I don't like (and it's subjective) is the single center screen dash. I added an aftermarket instrument cluster to my Y just to make it palatable for me and my wife to drive. The Y is also ubiquitous and is everywhere. The S is not as prevalent on the roads so they tend to stand out more.

The S is a lot faster in terms of off the line acceleration than the Y. I don't feel the same "throw you back in the seat" feeling with the Y that I do with my S. I also like the storage options in the S.

FWIW, when it's time to replace my S, I am probably going to look towards a used X.

For what it's worth, we have a Y and grown kids (son is 5-8, daughters smaller). We regularly drive 300 miles to Seattle from Spokane for weekends, taking the Y, with all 3 kids back there (ages 25, 22 and 20). They are happy to make the trip any time.

[...]

I really prefer the Y's higher seats, over the 3 or S. Friend has both, and it's a big difference getting out. I feel like I'm on all fours climbing up off the ground. (getting old I guess, only 57, but no patience for low cars any more).
I appreciate your reply, thank you. Good to know the Y is comfortable for road tripping. As for floor/seat height... I do get that. My knees aren't the best, and I admit it took me awhile to adjust to both my S and 3 in that respect. But I did adjust. And when it comes to driving, the lower the better for me! I prefer to feel connected to the road. Still... I'm not getting any younger!
I love the S but sounds like Y is safer choice for you and your wife likes it better as well.
I may have overstated when I said my wife hated the S and 3. What I meant to say is she hates DRIVING them, but she has her own car so that's fine. She had no problem with them as a passenger.
Reading through this thread I don't think your torn at all. I get the impression that you're REALLY trying to talk yourself INTO the MY. I understand the thoughtfulness being given to your son. But @ 16 will he not be driving himself around? As mentioned previously, if the seat behind the wifey is his, the issue kinda disappears correct?

I get the feeling that if you go with the MY your going to kick yourself everytime you get into it, then kick yourself again when you see a MS next to you at a light or supercharger.

Get the S before it's gone. Be happy.

Good luck with it!!
You sound wise :) Your post resonated with me. I think you're right... I'm trying to get my brain to win over my gut. To clarify though, my son isn't 16 yet. He's only 12. I was just thinking ahead. But you're right, behind my wife it won't be an issue.
What I don't like (and it's subjective) is the single center screen dash.
Interesting. I thought that was really smart when the 3 came out. I didn't miss a "speedometer" at all and I appreciated the better forward visibility. I preferred my Model 3 over my Model S in that respect, 100%. But that was a 2015 Model S and I'm sure the cluster has been improved since then.

Actually, that brings up a question I meant to ask: how are the Model S OTA updates? I would kind of suspect that Tesla would focus their attention on the 90% of the Model 3/Y vehicles over the 10% S/X. Do the S's still receive frequent updates?

Actually, that brings up a question I meant to ask: how are the Model S OTA updates? I would kind of suspect that Tesla would focus their attention on the 90% of the Model 3/Y vehicles over the 10% S/X. Do the S's still receive frequent updates?
They get them at pretty much the same time. I will say the S’ UI sometimes feels like a bit of an afterthought, but not to the extent where I’d prefer the 3/Y

They get them at pretty much the same time. I will say the S’ UI sometimes feels like a bit of an afterthought, but not to the extent where I’d prefer the 3/Y
Thanks!
Wait for the new 3. Looks like a mini S, better build quality, suspension feels the same and is quieter for half the cost.
No :)

I'm done with the 3. It never should have been a sedan. It should have always been a hatch.

But also, I'm done with waiting. I could wait for Highland, or Juniper, or the next S refresh, or the Cybertruck, or the "Model 2", or for a legacy brand to make a compelling offering. At some point I have to pull the trigger.

Hey, at least I made that decision, right? As I said, I've got airfare and a hotel booked... I'm buying SOMETHING on Thursday. I'm either getting the Model Y that I ordered, or else I'm walking away from a $250 deposit (plus a $1350 bonus for being a CT reservation holder, plus 6 months free supercharging, plus about $1000 in "credits) and getting that S.

Oh right, I should have mentioned the bonuses for the Y lol

At this point, I am heavily leaning toward the S. I did a bit more numerical analysis and I looked at how much 1 year old, 2 year old, and 3 year old Model Y's and S's are going for. Factoring everything in, after 3 years I'm quite a bit ahead with the S.

Also, I re-reviewed the Insurance contract and I don't think they have a leg to stand on. I'm really quite sure that they'll have to honor the full value whether I buy from a private seller or not. If all goes as I expect, I'm basically paying $14,550 to have a 2023 Model S with a full PPF wrap and 25,000km instead of a new 2023 Model Y. After taxes, the two vehicles (ignoring the wrap) are $50,000 apart (new vs. new I mean).

Oh, and the S comes with a mobile charger and Homelink - two more things I would have had to pay for.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELPING!

Reactions: ModelX
Thanks!

No :)

I'm done with the 3. It never should have been a sedan. It should have always been a hatch.

But also, I'm done with waiting. I could wait for Highland, or Juniper, or the next S refresh, or the Cybertruck, or the "Model 2", or for a legacy brand to make a compelling offering. At some point I have to pull the trigger.

Hey, at least I made that decision, right? As I said, I've got airfare and a hotel booked... I'm buying SOMETHING on Thursday. I'm either getting the Model Y that I ordered, or else I'm walking away from a $250 deposit (plus a $1350 bonus for being a CT reservation holder, plus 6 months free supercharging, plus about $1000 in "credits) and getting that S.

Oh right, I should have mentioned the bonuses for the Y lol

At this point, I am heavily leaning toward the S. I did a bit more numerical analysis and I looked at how much 1 year old, 2 year old, and 3 year old Model Y's and S's are going for. Factoring everything in, after 3 years I'm quite a bit ahead with the S.

Also, I re-reviewed the Insurance contract and I don't think they have a leg to stand on. I'm really quite sure that they'll have to honor the full value whether I buy from a private seller or not. If all goes as I expect, I'm basically paying $14,550 to have a 2023 Model S with a full PPF wrap and 25,000km instead of a new 2023 Model Y. After taxes, the two vehicles (ignoring the wrap) are $50,000 apart (new vs. new I mean).

Oh, and the S comes with a mobile charger and Homelink - two more things I would have had to pay for.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELPING!
Congrats on your new S ;)

Have both a 3 and an S (and the wife has an X …)

I’d take the S over the 3 all day every day, and twice on Sunday. And believe me, I was very happy with the 3…. But the S is another league.

We don’t have a Y but have driven them plenty (including rentals ….)

Still take the S all day long.

In fact, my 16yo practically begged me to get an S instead of a Y. Said it was much more comfortable for him in the back seat.

He’s 6’4”.

So much goodness about the S - it’s quiet, rides amazingly well, tons of cargo room, super comfortable etc.

Go with your heart. You won’t regret the S. It’s a fantastic car.

Reactions: OxBrew