Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't imagine - What will part 2 bring?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some hopes I had posted before M≡ The Unveiling followed by summarizing what the actual Unveiling included over on TeslaMotors.com. I had hoped that....
  • Supercharger access explained w/ plans for expansion detailed — almost, 2x Superchargers and 4x destination chargers discussed; access to Superchargers is still being explored by Tesla; Part 2 of M≡ reveal as production approaches will likely have this detail.
  • Launch/production schedule w/ details about planned ramp in production — almost, but even if they had discussed ramp up, the overwhelming response would have changed those plans (glad they kept it simple)
  • Battery pack options w/ approximate projected EPA/freeway-speed range — nope, they held back these details; see Part 2 M≡ reveal
  • Announce options will be similar to today's Model S, like pano roof, dual-motor and performance versions — nope, they held back these details; see Part 2 M≡ reveal; test drivers did give some of these details though

I'm pretty sure the Model Y will be delayed for the same reason the Model X was delayed. The Model S demand was a lot more than Tesla ever expected. The Model 3 is blowing away expectations. You don't want to introduce another car when you are limited in how many batteries you can produce to begin with. Tesla is limited to 500K cars a year out of the gigafactory. If the Model 3 does that all by itself then Tesla will need gigafactory2 to cover the need for the Model Y. To introduce the Model Y and create even more enormous demand that cannot be fulfilled would be a huge error.

Maybe a steering wheel that slides to the center w full autopilot like this Model S concept car... ;)

Although I'm hoping Part 2 will be about the Model Y, I'm still considering the possibility of a Rinspeed type showcase as in the video above. A sliding steering wheel might explain why the concept dashboard looks quite plain. If so, it would be nice to see how the monitor gets out of the way... Also, I wonder whether they've created a flexible design that works for both left & right side driving.

During the beginning of the presentation, the steering axis was shown.
Was wondering about that as well. Can't discount the possibility though. That plain, straight dashboard design to me gives a strong indication of a horizontal sliding steering wheel column. Maybe this would become an option that replaces the mechanical linkage with a drive-by-wire configuration?

A convertible with a power folding Targa roof!
img-1149197955-1458731638796.jpg

2017-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-RF-on-stage-rear-three-quarter-view-top-folding.jpg

Miata MX5

Defies logic, math, finance etc. Makes zero sense to add additional complexity to the single factory production line for very little financial gain !

So as others have said some big leap in AP is certainly part of it - that's not even a guess, but a sure bet based on Elon's comments and what we have heard from engineers commenting on the dash design during the test drives.

One thing I am hoping for though is some more ass kicking around the battery specs. Elon went out to say during the presentation that 215 miles is the minimum and they are striving to do even better - wouldn't be surprised to learn about a high end option closing in on 300 miles. The really big thing would be much better charge times though. The new cells in the 3, designed from the ground up by Tesla with 10 years of EV design experience, could allow for quicker charge times. The new, thinner, actively cooled SC charge cable design is they talked about a while ago also points into that direction.

Imagine if they could cut charge times by 25-50%...

Reactions: pmich80 and BG121
Still this is supposed to be a mass market car, at least at entry level. Do you really expect a ton of mind blowing features?

I can see faster charging and awesome acceleration, but I doubt on the folding steering wheel etc.

I am not an engineer (IANAE). However, in addition to the usual info, e.g., speed, navigation, etc, I think Tesla might use a HUD to project, when visibility is marginal (or worse), the lines of the road as well as any vehicles exactly where they are in real life. By integrating these with AP 2.0 and realistic AI, drivers will have a much better chance of avoiding the multi-vehicle pileups we've seen lately caused by fog and whiteout conditions. When visibility is not an issue those lines, cars, etc could be projected onto a virtual IP, leaving just speed, nav info, etc on the HUD.

Based on Elon's admission he was surprised by the huge number of reservations, I believe they felt they would use (need?) Part 2 to stimulate reservations by pessimists who expected the base Model 3 to have comparatively limited range and/or performance, and wanted more of one or both. Since they referenced their targets in terms of size, e.g., the Audi A4 and BMW 3-Series, I believe they plan to announce Performance models, ala Audi S4 and BMW M3, as well as larger batteries, "sportier" suspension, etc.

My assumption is simply that Part 2 is going to be the details about standard features, available options, etc. I think he was just saying that they didn't think anywhere near that many people would put down $1,000 for a mid-high market sedan that won't be sold for nearly 2 years without knowing anything about it.

Reactions: Snow Drift
Is anyone else concerned that with the enormous number of reservations far exceeding what Elon and Tesla anticipated, that they may have to modify/remove some options in the initial M3 in order to produce vehicles faster?
No, I don't think the incredible number of 3 reservations will cause the design to be simplified or some options be eliminated. It will simply mean that Tesla won't be able to finish building all the pre-ordered 3's for years unless another factory is built.

It seems possible that by the end of 2017 there will be over half a million Model 3 reservations, and once the cars start to appear on the road in 2018 orders will continue to build as word spreads and more and more people see them in real life. I think this will result in Tesla announcing a second factory location in the eastern US with construction of it starting in 2018. Otherwise Tesla will never catch up with demand.

Reactions: voltage and pmich80