Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I challenge you to say this sound is normal.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sigh, I enjoy TMC less when people "call BS" on something when a) I'm not lying and b) I provided the proof. I provided the screen shot of the Repair Order from the service center visit where they verified parts were replaced and the sound was gone. As the owner of the car experiencing the brake pump sound every day before and since the repairs, I can only say the sound never went away and in fact continues to worsen over time. Needless to say, it's on the to-do list for them to re-visit when I take the car 400 miles north to the service center in a few weeks. I just want to come with as much ammo as I can (as in: umpteen other Tesla owners never have such a sound or anywhere near as bad).

Sigh, I enjoy TMC less when people "call BS" on something when a) I'm not lying and b) I provided the proof. I provided the screen shot of the Repair Order from the service center visit where they verified parts were replaced and the sound was gone.

Sorry - but did you e-mail that clip to the service center and get a reply already? There is no way the SC could think that sound is normal if it is as loud as it sounds in the clip - you're implying to us that they do think it's normal because of a repair order you have. It certainly may be the case that they screwed up and didn't fix it right, and the noise showed up as soon as you got it back - but you're telling us that the SC has heard the clip you posted here and they have told you that sound is normal? If that is the case tell us which service center it is that you're dealing with - I find it hard to believe they have heard that particular noise and are telling you it is normal.

Where did you record the noise? In the cockpit or outside the car? BTW what is the decibel level of the sound? You can download a free meter to your phone and report back here.

Sorry - but did you e-mail that clip to the service center and get a reply already? There is no way the SC could think that sound is normal if it is as loud as it sounds in the clip - you're implying to us that they do think it's normal because of a repair order you have. It certainly may be the case that they screwed up and didn't fix it right, and the noise showed up as soon as you got it back - but you're telling us that the SC has heard the clip you posted here and they have told you that sound is normal? If that is the case tell us which service center it is that you're dealing with - I find it hard to believe they have heard that particular noise and are telling you it is normal.

Where did you record the noise? In the cockpit or outside the car? BTW what is the decibel level of the sound? You can download a free meter to your phone and report back here.

I second this recommendation - I recorded a short video of a loud front-end noise on my 2014 P85, with some dialog about context ("I'm not charging", etc), and got a response back the next business day, ending up at the service center in short order.

I did email the SoundCloud link to the service center. Haven't heard back from them on that specific item yet. I have an appointment scheduled for early July (time for annual service, etc), so I'm going to have them fix this thing then. And rather than have a ranger tow my car 400 miles, I am personally driving it and will be there in person to drop the car off and demonstrate the sound to their engineers on-site.

I did email the SoundCloud link to the service center. Haven't heard back from them on that specific item yet. I have an appointment scheduled for early July (time for annual service, etc), so I'm going to have them fix this thing then. And rather than have a ranger tow my car 400 miles, I am personally driving it and will be there in person to drop the car off and demonstrate the sound to their engineers on-site.
To me it looks like there is a leak in vacuum or a vacuum sensor failure. Pressing the brake make the sensor read low vacuum, and it starts the pump until the desired vacuum is achieved (which never happens) so it runs continuously. Certainly not normal, it should only run like 2-3 sec each time. Once you step on the brake (and keep pressed) it should run 2-3 sec and stop.

• Informative
Reactions: EarlyAdopter
Boy, it sure would be easier to trace the source of issues if Tesla actually GAVE YOU ACCESS TO THE SERVICE MANUALS so you could study the systems.

Agreed. But some systems are so simple, and common across all types of cars, that you don't need a Tesla specific service manual to do basic diagnostics. Servicing the brakes, for example. Any decent mechanic that you know could be persuaded to "have a look" if you drove the Tesla to them with the frunk bits out so he can have a look... and offer to let him take it for a test drive (you in the car of course)... maybe thrilled at the thought of driving a Tesla... And have a box of donuts in the back to leave on his bench.

Let him/her give you some 'best guessing' as to what is going on. If it's simple, they may even fix it for you on the spot. Our (older model S) cars aren't the only things on the planet to have electric vacuum pumps... and ABS brakes. (Newer S have electrically actuated brake calipers).

A good mechanic that is versed in many cars can probably tell you the manufacturer Tesla sourced these parts from.

e.g. my auto-dimming interior mirror: Volvo makes it, and is stamped "Volvo" inside. Go figure.

Last edited:
That's not a noise I've ever heard in my classic 2013. That's just not acceptable.

Frankly, as others have suggested, you don't need Tesla to fix this kind of thing, especially given your distance from the nearest service center, Any capable repair shop could identify the problem and fix it. There's nothing magical about Teslas that most shops wouldn't understand (except the high voltage side of things). Brakes, suspension, etc are pretty standard stuff with a few twists here and there.

That's not a noise I've ever heard in my classic 2013. That's just not acceptable.

Frankly, as others have suggested, you don't need Tesla to fix this kind of thing, especially given your distance from the nearest service center, Any capable repair shop could identify the problem and fix it. There's nothing magical about Teslas that most shops wouldn't understand (except the high voltage side of things). Brakes, suspension, etc are pretty standard stuff with a few twists here and there.

It's an interesting idea, going to some place local. My fear, frankly, and maybe it's unwarranted, but nevertheless, my fear is that there are no local shops, even expert ones, who have ever touched a Tesla before. Wouldn't even know how to start the car and put it into drive and get it up on a lift in a garage. My car's still under warranty... I think I'm gonna stick with a Tesla service center and just lean on 'em until they do the right thing.

Why don't you just call?

Why should I? I had already spoken to 'em on the phone last week, they knew I was emailing them a list of concerns about the car, we'd discussed the coming email, they were *expecting* it. So I sent it to 'em, the ball then became in their court. So the natural thing is to expect them to do the right thing and reply to the customer.

Reactions: Genshi