Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I charged to 87% and got 210 miles on P85DL is that bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha yes great guess! This predicted max number though that everyone quotes at 100% charge, is that number not variable and dependent upon preidicted driving behavior? Like couldn’t that number be fudged if one drove the car like a grandma before hand ?

When new, P85D had a rated range of 253 miles. Over time (mileage actually) it will degrade. I’m at 35,000 miles now and have a max range of 248 miles. It will continue to drop. At 100,000 miles, expect it to be 6-10% less than brand new. You can slow down the degradation a little bit by setting the daily charge to 70% or 80% instead of 90%.

Nice. A fellow P85DL+ owner. :)

Yes another "unicorn" Tesla... especially with Ludicrous, Plus Suspension, NextGen ("Recaro") seats front and rear, and Arachnids. :)

" + " added from eBay seller. Cheaper at Abstract Ocean now... and you get $10.00* off using my unique referral link:

Accessorize your Tesla!

(*first purchase of $50.00 or more)

P85DL+.jpg

Reactions: commasign
That’s not a terrible number, my P85D was showing 246 at ~40k miles before the pack was replaced (not related to the range.) You may pick up a mile or two if you actually charge to full. With my 90 pack I usually get 269-270 when I extrapolate my range, but when I actually change to 100% I see 272.

Haha yes great guess! This predicted max number though that everyone quotes at 100% charge, is that number not variable and dependent upon preidicted driving behavior? Like couldn’t that number be fudged if one drove the car like a grandma before hand ?
No. All other car makers do that with their electric cars, but Tesla does not do it that way. It's always based on a fixed efficiency constant based on the EPA rating procedure.

That thing of the battery meters moving around based on various conditions is probably what led to people referring to them as the GOM (guess-o-meter). They are trying to use it as a range predictor. Tesla decided not to do it that way. They want the battery meter to be more like a straight up "fuel gauge". So it does not shift and move and go up if you have favorable conditions or a granny driver. It is just a measure of energy, so it depletes. There are other places in the car's displays, like the energy display or navigation that can show you projections and predictive estimates.

Just got my P85D+ three weeks ago.

Have started recording the data in a spreadsheet to keep track.

31/Mar/19
42100 miles
Battery %: 79%
Estimated Miles: 197
Miles @ 100% SoC: 249.4
Degradation: 98.6% of original or 1.4% degraded

So pretty bloody good. The car was in San Fran and had one prior owner. It is now in Boulder CO so will see what some winters and mountain driving does to it.

Attachments

• IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Informative
Reactions: commasign
My 2015 P85D Vin 104xxx is at 216 miles 90% SOC. My car has 63k miles

On a side note, I lined up against a P3D yesterday at a red light. Dude rolled down the window asking to race 0-60. Of course I agreed, quickly changed to Insane mode with Sports. It was sooo close I might have beat him by a hair. Anyone else experienced this on your P85DL? Wonder how the Ludicrous mode does against the P3D.

Last edited:
My 2015 P85D Vin 104xxx is at 216 miles 90% SOC. My car has 63k miles

On a side note, I lined up against a P3D yesterday at a red light. Dude rolled down the window asking to race 0-60. Of course I agreed, quickly changed to Insane mode with Sports. It was sooo close I might have beat him by a hair. Anyone else experienced this on your P85DL? Wonder how the Ludicrous mode does against the P3D.

That’s about as expected. I’m pretty sure they are both quoted at 3.2. The P3D may have the edge after the 5% power increase. Ludicrous adds another ~40kw and is quoted at around 2.8 seconds.

It's also less of a factor if you're doing rollon contests at speed. As you go faster, power to weight ratio factors less while air resistance factors more give the the bigger car that has the same power to weight ratio as the smaller car the edge in 70-90 mph rollons.

Although I think the M3 has a slight cd advantage over the S...but very slight.

That’s about as expected. I’m pretty sure they are both quoted at 3.2. The P3D may have the edge after the 5% power increase. Ludicrous adds another ~40kw and is quoted at around 2.8 seconds.

I figured. Anyone here with the Ludicrous mode has ever smoked a P3D on the road? I'd love to hear it.

I felt sick to my stomach after the race, not because how close it was, but because of the price differences. The current P3D price is about half the price of the P85D when it was 4 years ago