Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't think Tesla will take Ghosting seriously

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have pretty bad ghosting on my 143XXX VIN X90D. After calling the SC in Palo Alto, they had me email pictures of it. A day later they said they verified the problem with management and will have a fix (new windshield), but not until after Thanksgiving. I've been put on the list to receive one. Seems like they are taking the problem seriously, just slow to fix.

I think I may have this same issue, seen mostly at night, lights have light rings slightly above them. More so, I have this one area about 4 inches by 4 inches, on the left side of windshield next to pillar right around where it curves. In that spot it really distorts everything day or night, like looking through a slight kaleidoscope or imagine an iPhoto special effect like warp hehe. Do you guys ave that as well?

The problem for Tesla is someone like me who doesn't notice it. I drive at night and I just don't notice it. Not saying it doesn't exist or maybe some X's are worst than others. I do hope it is resolved for you if your having a problem with ghosting.

I have pretty bad ghosting on my 143XXX VIN X90D. After calling the SC in Palo Alto, they had me email pictures of it. A day later they said they verified the problem with management and will have a fix (new windshield), but not until after Thanksgiving. I've been put on the list to receive one. Seems like they are taking the problem seriously, just slow to fix.
Would you mind posting the picture here?

This is the second I've heard of Tesla having an actual fix, rather than a shot-in-the-dark windshield replacement. That bodes well... now to make sure I'm actually on said list (supposedly I was added to "the list" when I first reported it in July).

I think I may have this same issue, seen mostly at night, lights have light rings slightly above them. More so, I have this one area about 4 inches by 4 inches, on the left side of windshield next to pillar right around where it curves. In that spot it really distorts everything day or night, like looking through a slight kaleidoscope or imagine an iPhoto special effect like warp hehe. Do you guys ave that as well?
My wife reports a "ripple effect" when looking through a certain part of the windshield on the right side. This may be the same. I've avoided looking for it. My wife still hasn't noticed the ghosting herself, so I've avoided pointing it out to her. Tit for tat!

The problem for Tesla is someone like me who doesn't notice it. I drive at night and I just don't notice it. Not saying it doesn't exist or maybe some X's are worst than others. I do hope it is resolved for you if your having a problem with ghosting.
This is weird to me as well. I don't need glasses, I don't get motion sick, and I'm rather tolerant of eye strain after years of a desk job, but it is terrible to me--even nauseated by it at times. Meanwhile my wife says she sees nothing.

Reactions: CaliX
We have driven our 193xx X 60D a number of times at night, and the only time we have noticed light distortion/ghosting is when I accidentally turned on the wiper and smeared dirt across the windshield. We joked that it looked like a laser show from incoming cars and traffic lights;) Other than that, everything appears fine so far.

The problem for Tesla is someone like me who doesn't notice it. I drive at night and I just don't notice it......snip.......
how is it a 'problem' for anyone, if they don't have a problem ...
:confused:
all that a lack of a problem means is that some DON'T have a problem ... which means that the laminating process during manufacturing may differ, even if it's minuscule. What's good news is that apparently Tesla is at a point where the windshield manufacturer has enough inventory to start up replacements. That's a good thing anyway, as eventually someone will get a rock kicked up - and BAM.

after thanksgiving you say . . .
i guess that's a safe reply . . . . did they say thanksgiving 2016?
;)

Reactions: Scmbug
FYI, my SC mgr offered to replace mine as I have an 2XX early VIN thinking they windshields would be better now. They replaced it but it is just as bad and, unless I am imaginating it, worse. As well I have creak noise now that appears to come from the windshield during normal braking (even regen) or acceleration or some general driving (turns, bumps, etc). Eeek. The delivery/dropoff person said they noticed it and they had called before getting to my house. The techs thought it would go away. That was 4 weeks ago but I was not driving it for a couple weeks in there.

FYI, my SC mgr offered to replace mine as I have an 2XX early VIN thinking they windshields would be better now. They replaced it but it is just as bad and, unless I am imaginating it, worse. As well I have creak noise now that appears to come from the windshield during normal braking (even regen) or acceleration or some general driving (turns, bumps, etc). Eeek. The delivery/dropoff person said they noticed it and they had called before getting to my house. The techs thought it would go away. That was 4 weeks ago but I was not driving it for a couple weeks in there.

I'm told that the 'creak noise' was a molding rubbing issue. I get the X back tomorrow as they fixed that and my 3rd row seat misalignment issue.

I'm told that the 'creak noise' was a molding rubbing issue. I get the X back tomorrow as they fixed that and my 3rd row seat misalignment issue.

It was returned and is perfectly quiet now. My vehicle overall is working well.

FYI, there was actually an "article" [internal tech notes system I presume] on it so a known problem. Thought this may come up in the future so wanted to document it because they point out where it was. Typed up the below from the hardcopy.

Concern: Customer states: creaking noise since windshield was replaced. Tech to verify.
Corrections: Windshield Liftgate Glass and Body Glass General Diagnosis
Verified that there was a creaking noise coming from the right front pillar area. Adjusted the body panels underneath the right front kick panel, added clear elastic sealant to the area, and verified that the clicking noise is no longer present.

• Informative
Reactions: Gwgan and Scmbug
Model S owner here, have any Model S owners reported this problem? I noticed this in mine a while back, but always assumed it was because I put tint on the windshield. But it's exactly as described elsewhere. I only notice it at night, and there are extremely discernible multiple artifacts above and below a light source. It seems to be more pronounced at certain distances.