Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I find the M3’s rear visibility poor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may crack open the mirror base assembly and see what modification might be possible to raise the mirror.

Make sure you go slow when prying open the mirror at the swivel point .I had a Tesla technician last week come replace the rear view mirror on my 3 due a defect in the mirror and he accidentally cracked a plastic part. Finesse highly recommended if you are not familiar with the assembly.

With the S I couldn't see the roof of the car following me so I didn't know if it was a police car or not. With the 3 that isn't a problem. But I agree that at night without seeing the following head lights the cars can hide in the auto dimming mirror.

I only lose sight of the headlights behind if I'm in city traffic and they are quite close to my trunk. At which point I'm not sure why it matters because you can still see the upper half of their car, even in the auto-dimming mirror. On the highway I can see all the headlights behind me no problem, nobody tailgates that closely!

I only lose sight of the headlights behind if I'm in city traffic and they are quite close to my trunk. At which point I'm not sure why it matters because you can still see the upper half of their car, even in the auto-dimming mirror. On the highway I can see all the headlights behind me no problem, nobody tailgates that closely!

Well, that’s the issue. Haven’t taken a measurement (not sure how that’d work), but there are definitely times in the city and on the highway where I can’t see the headlights right behind me, nor can i easily make out the roof of their car at night. I do not understand why they designed the car this way, as there doesn’t appear to be any engineering reason for the rear shelf to be that high (but I’m not an engineer). To me this is definitely the biggest flaw in an awrsome car.

Haven’t taken a measurement (not sure how that’d work), but there are definitely times in the city and on the highway where I can’t see the headlights right behind me, nor can i easily make out the roof of their car at night.

Have you tried raising the driver seat and adjusting the rearview mirror to point a little more downward? Both adjustments will give a little more view down over the top of the trunk. But, yeah, if the car is right behind you their headlights are shielded by the trunk, something I really like. Unless it's a jacked up full-sized truck where the lights are high enough to shine over the trunk and then it's just as obnoxious as any other car.

Or maybe you have a dark tint on the rear window? I'm not sure why you can't see the top half of the car behind you. Since I saw this thread I started paying attention to the rearview at night and can see the vehicles behind me without struggling. I've tested on pitch black rainy nights, rainy nights in the city and everything in between.

Funny how there are so many ex-Golf/GTI owners on here. I'm coming from a Mk7 GTI Autobahn, and thought it had great rear visibility, but I also think that the rear cross traffic alert really helped eased fears while backing out of parking spaces.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try adjusting the rear view mirror down later!

Reactions: dave999z
I’m not very happy with the rear view mirror either. I’m currently testing out an Eluto mirror from amazon, suction cupped to the glass roof. I like the view much better, but it’s not as easy to glance at with it up high. It also vibrates more than stock, but not too bad. I’m going to keep testing it for the time being. 76C0272A-FB83-499B-967F-DA4ED3F6264E.jpeg 54BE32FD-9462-4134-BCD1-8B589D29F236.jpegDE0560B8-39F8-41C8-AD95-BE05059C88B5.jpeg

Reactions: rabar10 and Lon12
Funny how there are so many ex-Golf/GTI owners on here. I'm coming from a Mk7 GTI Autobahn, and thought it had great rear visibility, but I also think that the rear cross traffic alert really helped eased fears while backing out of parking spaces.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try adjusting the rear view mirror down later!

MKIV GTI here.