Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got my car today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's what it looks like installed in my M3. The 'carbon fiber' adds the look with a little texture but not heavily textured like actual carbon fiber. I'm very happy with it as I was not looking for a completely 'flat' look. The Abstract Ocean products are great.

Congrats on your new MY. Wife wants one!
From the photo, it looks nice, and the pattern probably hides smudges pretty well.

I fully support your wife having a Model Y, just so long as it's not mine. I like mine so I'm keeping it, flaws and all. The car, not your wife; I'm sure she's flawless.

1 Kilowatt is about right for charging off of 110V. That will add range at about 4 miles per hour of charging. Depending on the capacity of the 240v circuit you wire your Tesla Wall Charger, it will be 8 - 12X faster.
I've got four empty slots in my 200A circuit breaker box, so I think the limit will be based on how much load there is on the main breaker. I do have a lot of electrical appliances, including a washer/dryer, dishwasher, fridge, freezer chest, and central air, so we'll see. If I do need to expand my capacity, the wires coming to my house are elevated, so at least they wouldn't need to dig up my brand new driveway. I hope it doesn't come to that, though.

If it gets even 16 miles/hour of charge, that should be plenty. I currently have zero commute, and even on weekends when I'm all over the place, I'd be hard-pressed to exceed 100 miles of travel. And if I get desperate, there are Superchargers just two miles away. Now all I need are some solar panels with a Powerwall and I'm set for life!

Unless people get bored, I'll update this thread in two days with what I learn about the wiring.

• Informative
Reactions: Hawkstrike
Congrats Steve! The extension cord could make a difference. Shorter cords (say 10' instead of 25') and larger gauge wire in the cord (12 Gauge is larger than 14 Gauge in wire size). The combination of a shorter cord and larger conductor will allow the greatest amount of current to flow.
The new cord is definitely shorter -- there's only a foot or so of slack left -- and now that I compare them, it feels a bit thicker. So I'm betting some combination of length and width made the difference. At this moment, while I'm not getting great charging by any means, it's adequate for my current needs. If I had a long daily commute again, it wouldn't work, though.

You don't have to have an unused electric dryer plug. Mine is sort of unreachable (down behind the dryer) and I just got a Y splitter on amazon (was $70 when I bought it now $60), bought the correct plug adapter from Tesla (around $35) for the charging cable.
The combo gives me a long cord with heavy duty capacity and as long as I don't use the dryer while I'm charging it was a quick cheap way to get 240 charging without an electrician.

Parkworld 886580 Dryer Splitter, NEMA 10-30P Male Plug to (2) 10-30R Female Receptacle, Dryer 3-Prong 30 AMP 10-30 Y Adapter Cord (3 feet)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVSJ6S9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've got four empty slots in my 200A circuit breaker box, so I think the limit will be based on how much load there is on the main breaker. I do have a lot of electrical appliances, including a washer/dryer, dishwasher, fridge, freezer chest, and central air, so we'll see. If I do need to expand my capacity, the wires coming to my house are elevated, so at least they wouldn't need to dig up my brand new driveway. I hope it doesn't come to that, though.

If it gets even 16 miles/hour of charge, that should be plenty. I currently have zero commute, and even on weekends when I'm all over the place, I'd be hard-pressed to exceed 100 miles of travel. And if I get desperate, there are Superchargers just two miles away. Now all I need are some solar panels with a Powerwall and I'm set for life!

Unless people get bored, I'll update this thread in two days with what I learn about the wiring.

Last edited:

The good:
  • The service was excellent and they didn't lie about quality.. They pointed out some of the flaws, politely recorded the ones I pointed out for them, and made it clear that they take responsibility for fixing them.
  • Generally, they made the whole thing pleasant, accommodated the fact that I showed up early, and didn't keep me waiting or rush me. And, of course, they all wore masks and nobody tried to shake my hand.
  • It's a Performance Model Y with the PUP, so it was mind-blowingly amazing to drive. I could babble on and on about how great it was, but this is the sort of thing that I either don't need to explain or couldn't anyhow.
  • No, seriously, it was amazing. No matter what the problems are, it was totally worth it. I kind of lucked out having to pick up the car up 50 miles inland and drive it home down these curving country lanes on a beautiful day. There were also enough straightaways to test out the higher end of the speed, although I barely got into triple digits.
  • As you can see, it's beautiful: red and black is a classic combo. The car is bigger in person than I expected and the glass roof looks great from both the inside and the outside, although especially from the back seats. The rear window wasn't hard to see through, either; it's a small slit, but exactly in the right place.
  • The seat was comfortable, ride noise was low, and it was a pleasure to drive. Did I mention the performance was amazing? Ok, ok, I'll stop about that.
  • I'm going to to switch to the bad now, but I want to make it clear that I'm still really happy. I would do it all over again. And, despite some defects, I think I got one of the better ones.
The bad:
  • For some reason, Google Maps has two entries for Tesla in Mt Kisco; the real one, and a parking lot on Carpenter just a couple of miles away. This led to some confusion for my Lyft driver. Not Tesla's fault, but still bad.
  • I ordered the tow hitch but it did not come installed. They didn't notice this until I pointed it out, but promised it would be installed once it became available.
  • It came with an older version of the software, and that's why the A/C didn't work properly. I installed the upgrade once I got it home, which fixed it. Kinda wish they'd done this ahead of time.
  • There were some external paint issues, including chipping on both front door handles, some sort of paint damage on the driver-side door, and what looks like a small blob of glue on the black area above the rear passenger-side door. They readily agreed to fix these, although I will let the detailer decide which they'd rather do themselves instead of trusting Tesla. The car's also not that clean on the outside; some of the other apparent flaws wiped away with a cloth, either because they were adhesive from protective film or just a coating of road dust.
  • Both of the buttons in the back drop the same seats (the left and middle pair). The right seat still drops fine if you use the button on top of it. Again, they acknowledged this defect and agreed to fix it, at least once they have some way to do so. Clearly, the wiring is messed up.
  • The headliner on the driver's side, near the window, is a bit loose. Not terrible, but definitely needs fixing. The coat hanger on that side is wonky. I could get it to work with effort, but if I don't mess with it just right, it either won't stay closed or it closes a bit too deep and needs to be nudged back into alignment.
  • The piano-black surface for the center console is terrible. If you even look at it funny, it gets smears and fingerprints, but when you clean it, it gets streaks. I'm strongly considering wrapping it. But that woodgrain center bar is starting to grow on me, so maybe it'll stay.
  • Between the A/C and my aggressive driving, I did not get great mileage. Not sure how indicative this is of future performance, but it's worth noting.
That's all for now. Tomorrow, I bring it to the detailer for an inspection, then set up a service call with Tesla. After the externals are as fixed as they're going to be, it'll be time for the paint correction, PPF, and ceramic coating.

Like I said above, I'm definitely considering getting the center console wrapped. I might also go for some hydrophobic coating on the windows, but I'd like to try it out in the rain first. Not sure I want to bother with protective coating for the leatherish seats, but it's a thought. Depending on how the A/C works after the upgrade, I might consider a heavier tint on the roof and side windows.

All in all, I'm happy.

nice post. the center console I wrapped -- it's way worth it imho and looks great. I bought from Abstract Ocean (they rock and get the online coupon discount). I bought the wrap for the center wood'ish bar but I haven't installed it yet. It is growing on me too -- but it's the only thing that's not black or white on the entire car (including license plates). I'd also get the performance pedals.

Reactions: Electric Steve

The good:
  • The service was excellent and they didn't lie about quality.. They pointed out some of the flaws, politely recorded the ones I pointed out for them, and made it clear that they take responsibility for fixing them.
  • Generally, they made the whole thing pleasant, accommodated the fact that I showed up early, and didn't keep me waiting or rush me. And, of course, they all wore masks and nobody tried to shake my hand.
  • It's a Performance Model Y with the PUP, so it was mind-blowingly amazing to drive. I could babble on and on about how great it was, but this is the sort of thing that I either don't need to explain or couldn't anyhow.
  • No, seriously, it was amazing. No matter what the problems are, it was totally worth it. I kind of lucked out having to pick up the car up 50 miles inland and drive it home down these curving country lanes on a beautiful day. There were also enough straightaways to test out the higher end of the speed, although I barely got into triple digits.
  • As you can see, it's beautiful: red and black is a classic combo. The car is bigger in person than I expected and the glass roof looks great from both the inside and the outside, although especially from the back seats. The rear window wasn't hard to see through, either; it's a small slit, but exactly in the right place.
  • The seat was comfortable, ride noise was low, and it was a pleasure to drive. Did I mention the performance was amazing? Ok, ok, I'll stop about that.
  • I'm going to to switch to the bad now, but I want to make it clear that I'm still really happy. I would do it all over again. And, despite some defects, I think I got one of the better ones.
The bad:
  • For some reason, Google Maps has two entries for Tesla in Mt Kisco; the real one, and a parking lot on Carpenter just a couple of miles away. This led to some confusion for my Lyft driver. Not Tesla's fault, but still bad.
  • I ordered the tow hitch but it did not come installed. They didn't notice this until I pointed it out, but promised it would be installed once it became available.
  • It came with an older version of the software, and that's why the A/C didn't work properly. I installed the upgrade once I got it home, which fixed it. Kinda wish they'd done this ahead of time.
  • There were some external paint issues, including chipping on both front door handles, some sort of paint damage on the driver-side door, and what looks like a small blob of glue on the black area above the rear passenger-side door. They readily agreed to fix these, although I will let the detailer decide which they'd rather do themselves instead of trusting Tesla. The car's also not that clean on the outside; some of the other apparent flaws wiped away with a cloth, either because they were adhesive from protective film or just a coating of road dust.
  • Both of the buttons in the back drop the same seats (the left and middle pair). The right seat still drops fine if you use the button on top of it. Again, they acknowledged this defect and agreed to fix it, at least once they have some way to do so. Clearly, the wiring is messed up.
  • The headliner on the driver's side, near the window, is a bit loose. Not terrible, but definitely needs fixing. The coat hanger on that side is wonky. I could get it to work with effort, but if I don't mess with it just right, it either won't stay closed or it closes a bit too deep and needs to be nudged back into alignment.
  • The piano-black surface for the center console is terrible. If you even look at it funny, it gets smears and fingerprints, but when you clean it, it gets streaks. I'm strongly considering wrapping it. But that woodgrain center bar is starting to grow on me, so maybe it'll stay.
  • Between the A/C and my aggressive driving, I did not get great mileage. Not sure how indicative this is of future performance, but it's worth noting.
That's all for now. Tomorrow, I bring it to the detailer for an inspection, then set up a service call with Tesla. After the externals are as fixed as they're going to be, it'll be time for the paint correction, PPF, and ceramic coating.

Like I said above, I'm definitely considering getting the center console wrapped. I might also go for some hydrophobic coating on the windows, but I'd like to try it out in the rain first. Not sure I want to bother with protective coating for the leatherish seats, but it's a thought. Depending on how the A/C works after the upgrade, I might consider a heavier tint on the roof and side windows.

All in all, I'm happy.

I had a similar experience in Mt Kisco. It's just too bad that Tesla relies ont eh customer to find all the issues and report them rather than having someone on staff go through the car before hand and either note them or fix them before the customer shows up. It's definitely not really a white glove delivery as you'd expect for this level of money you are spending. Car looks great though from the picture.

The good:
The bad:

All in all, I'm happy.

When I picked up my MY last week (Mt Kisco NY) I was told the hitch was not installed and I had to schedule service. When I contacted service they told me it likely was already on the car. You need to carefully remove the dust cover (Use a couple strong butter knives to pry it off and you will likely find it is already there. Apparently the delivery teams are not schooled on the hitch installation.

I'm due to take delivery at Mount Kisco of my Model Y soon. But here's my problem. I live 3 1/2 hours away. How does one get all these fixes big and small for every new Model Y done ahead of time? I'm driving in, I'm driving out, and I can't just hang out in Westchester, NY, for several days. Any advice?
--JS
We picked up in Littleton (Denver), so around 800mls each way. There's some relatively minor issues with the build, so I documented them when we got home and emailed them (as requested) to the Service Center. Honestly, the car, overall is great, and we're well used to the Tesla EOQ shenanigans (and also want to support Tesla), so I'm not too stressed about a few issues that can easily be resolved by the local Service center.

2 years ago I had my new M3 delivered to Portland—1800 miles from where I live in Kansas—so I could enjoy a one-way drive from where I lived in the 80s. I met my wife at the airport in Boise after visiting NW friends for 2 weeks. One of them lives on Orcas Island and I visit that paradise as often as possible. My wife and I visited national parks and microbreweries all the way home. I’ve often thought I was lucky to have no issues to delay just driving off into the sunrise though.

nice post. the center console I wrapped -- it's way worth it imho and looks great. I bought from Abstract Ocean (they rock and get the online coupon discount). I bought the wrap for the center wood'ish bar but I haven't installed it yet. It is growing on me too -- but it's the only thing that's not black or white on the entire car (including license plates). I'd also get the performance pedals.
I have the PUP, so I have the performance pedals.

Reactions: same
Another update:
Tesla took my car for a week and fixed it up. The back seats now reliable drop, for example, and the paint defects are gone.

Now that they've done their bit, I'm sending it on to get detailed, paint-corrected, PPFed, and ceramic coated. Will update in a week or so, when it's back, probably with more photos.

Reactions: same

The good:
The bad:

All in all, I'm happy.
Congrats, I picked up my Model X Long Range Plus from the Mt. Kisco dealer last month . The people there were excellent in my opinion as well.