Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hate closing the frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not check my car, but if the "T" is right on the latch, the green area is not what you show. It should be slightly lower in this red hood figure.
I also feel the flexing even when I close with the recommended green area.
If I do it right on the side of the logo "T", I feel less bend. Actually, that is where delivery person told me to put my hands. So confusing.
Feeling the flex is more relevant than my illustrations and I haven't felt around. Next time I clean my car, I'll play around with the flexing to confirm or deny. It's too dusty now and that's a major gripe! If you want to show people that your car is actually dirty even though it may not look like it, close the frunk and HIGHLIGHT how dusty it really is!

So I solved the issue of an extremely hard to close frunk by adjusting the two rubber stoppers on each side of the hood.

The below is what I found to be the best position / compromise between a good weatherproof seal and relatively easy closing of the hood. Try with your own to see what works best for you.

5B74BD41-0A0F-4A26-9AE3-B20FC7E637B2.jpeg

Reactions: SpudLime
The hood is simply a poor design. How hard would it have been to layer a few extra pieces of metal on the bottom of the hood, or just make it from thicker metal in the first place?

My 2011 Dodge Challenger R/T had an aluminum hood, I would drop it closed from about a foot all the time, never had a problem in three years.

So the Dodge design is far better than the Tesla design? Seems to be.

• Funny
Reactions: evpulse
The hood is simply a poor design. How hard would it have been to layer a few extra pieces of metal on the bottom of the hood, or just make it from thicker metal in the first place?

My 2011 Dodge Challenger R/T had an aluminum hood, I would drop it closed from about a foot all the time, never had a problem in three years.

In this case, I think you might be right. Not everything is perfect on a Tesla. These door handles...

I think they'll improve it over time though. The servo locks trip me out on my Model 3, and I think they're primarily responsible for the odd frunk latching technique. All of the servo latches on the car seem like they need a firm push to latch. Funny enough, my mom associated it with "a quality door". Nah mom...quality doors would latch themselves.

Keep in mind that your Dodge hood didn’t have to seal out the weather.

This is not a poor design, but the result of an excellent design.

1. The hood is aluminum to reduce weight and improve handling.
2. The Frunk needs to be sealed from the elements since it is used as storage.
3. The seals are new from the factory and take a while to break in.
4. Pushing just on the center does not serve to compress the rubber seal all around the hatch. Pushing just in the center may result in a bend developing as the hood will not conform to all the gaskets.

The suggestion to push firmly to close may be an excellent idea. Trying to slam it shut is perhaps not ideal.

Had a similar issue when my X was brand new. After a while the rubber seals compress a bit and closing the frunk gets pretty easy. I just give it a solid push and it clicks shut easily.

I don't understand why they don't just fill the empty space inside of the front of the hood with a closed cell foam. It'd be invisible to consumers, weigh virtually nothing, and you'd be able to push anywhere on the front several inches of the hood to one's heart's content without danger of buckling the outer shell.

Reactions: Mod3forMe
It's not perfect of course but this was interesting - just for open really ATM
Very cool, but I think I would worry that the constant additional tension on the aluminum would eventually result in distortion of the frunk lid, especially after multiple cycles of environmental heating and cooling.

That, and I wouldn’t want the lid to fly open at 75 MPH due to a latch malfunction. At least the video shows that there is decent visibility under the lid, when open, although at that speed, it would probably tear itself off of its hinges.

So I solved the issue of an extremely hard to close frunk by adjusting the two rubber stoppers on each side of the hood.

The below is what I found to be the best position / compromise between a good weatherproof seal and relatively easy closing of the hood. Try with your own to see what works best for you.

View attachment 325787

So did you make the rubber stops shorter or longer? I assume shorter to make it easier to latch. How do you adjust the stops?

I just got my 3, and I almost couldn’t close the frunk after 10 attempts! Almost wanted to call roadside service. I have an X and it is easy. Help!

So did you make the rubber stops shorter or longer? I assume shorter to make it easier to latch. How do you adjust the stops?

I just got my 3, and I almost couldn’t close the frunk after 10 attempts! Almost wanted to call roadside service. I have an X and it is easy. Help!

Made them shorter - turning them clockwise I think, of course keep both stops at the same position. With some trial and error you will get the best position for then, try 1/4 of a turn each time (for both at same time).

Made them shorter - turning them clockwise I think, of course keep both stops at the same position. With some trial and error you will get the best position for then, try 1/4 of a turn each time (for both at same time).

Did the adjustments really make that much of a difference? Yesterday I almost couldn’t close the frunk, so I’m going to attempt your fix.