Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hope to make $10-30K per year for my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla unveils ‘Robotaxi’ plan for self-driving ride-sharing network next year

Screen-Shot-2019-04-22-at-4.44.40-PM.jpg

If I use my car for the next 2 years on my own and when the Tesla Network comes online, I can make my car work for me and I buy a new one. I could pay for the old car and make some to pay for the new one. I love this PLAN. The $$$ makes sense. Then sell it after 3 to 4 years.

I was briefly thinking of ordering a Model 3 for my wife and then I started thinking about Elon time;-0

I'm trying to decide what's going to come first:

A Reddit or TMC thread by someone who took Elon's words as gospel, orders a bunch of cars in anticipation of being some sort of ersatz suburban fleet operator, takes delivery despite no apparent progress towards these things actually happening, and then finds himself in a world of financial trouble because he has 6 cars, 1 parking spot, huge payments, and no income stream from them.

or

A lawsuit by someone in the same situation.

Elon was pretty clear it's gonna be at least 2021, even if he hits every single target exactly (which he never does) before anybody is making $ off their Tesla robotaxis

Doesn't seem to be that many actually listened to what he said though.

• Helpful
Reactions: TNTWYNN M3
I'm trying to decide what's going to come first:

A Reddit or TMC thread by someone who took Elon's words as gospel, orders a bunch of cars in anticipation of being some sort of ersatz suburban fleet operator, takes delivery despite no apparent progress towards these things actually happening, and then finds himself in a world of financial trouble because he has 6 cars, 1 parking spot, huge payments, and no income stream from them.

or

A lawsuit by someone in the same situation.
You've lost your faith in America? Expect expect 15 troll threads claiming that this is what the did, plus a lawsuit from someone complaining they could have done all of this and then they'd be out the money, so Musk owes them for emotional distress of not coming through along with lost potential income.

• Funny
Reactions: S'toon
Elon was pretty clear it's gonna be at least 2021, even if he hits every single target exactly (which he never does) before anybody is making $ off their Tesla robotaxis

Doesn't seem to be that many actually listened to what he said though.
ok. I use it for 2019 - 2023 (4 Years) on my own and put the car in to service for 2024-2028 with $15,000 gross per year. So the total cost of the car is almost ZERO for me after Taxes on the income and fees.

Reactions: AlanJ and Drax
This is the same mentality people had with Uber and Lyft.

"I can make money to pay for the car"...

In reality this isn't the case. Yes, you will make some extra cash - but people should not purchase a Tesla with the thought that it will pay for itself.

If you can't afford a Tesla, do not buy it. Additional income from Robotaxi is all supplemental. Who knows when that will even be usable.

I view this as a potential alternative to selling my model 3 when I’m done with it several years down the road. If it can break even or make a profit why not give this model a go, assuming there isn’t a lot of effort required on the owner’s part.

Personally I wouldn’t want to put my primary vehicle in a pool like this. But an old second or third car why not!

1. Unlimited Car washing cost is $500 per year locally.
2. Charging from Solar and Powerwalls gives the fixed cost low, OR maybe Tesla charges and part of the 30% cut of the rate.
3. Since it will be my used Tesla Model 3, I am not worried about my personal space regarding the car as a rental.
4. The Insurance will cover the crazy stuff.

In general:

Some people own a home and some people rent a home. Some people own many home and rent them out to make money from the rental.