Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hope to make $10-30K per year for my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lol'd at the supersoaker. That would be hilarious... BUT. a pissed off rider might retaliate. So many ways for this to go bad. I hate being so negative. I am just curious on how this stuff will flesh out.

These things will all be worked out. You could imagine several software-based measures that could be implemented today to rouse a passenger - e.g. playing loud music, activating car alarm, calling the rider's mobile phone, etc.

If that doesn't rouse your passenger (e.g. they are passed out drunk), then you move on to the next step which is basically to alert emergency services.

You have the rider's credit card information already, so can bill for damage caused to vehicle.

The real takeaway is that they are getting people to buy them via lease right now and they get them in 3 years, after the lessors have taken the depreciation hit. They are getting "gently used" Model 3s for the robot fleet at a discount.

They of course are taking the risk that they could be stuck with who knows how many "gently used" model 3s in 3 years if they do not have FSD working....

Im in that crowd, haha

Me too, but mainly for my primary car. Our 3 is kept real nice, always clean inside, washed/waxed, tires gelled, etc. Our older ICE SUV, which the kid trashes, isn't quite as clean inside or out. It's not gross, but it doesn't get the same attention. It also lives on the street while the 3 gets the garage.

Just like some people use a beater second car for commuting or dirty errands, I could see using an older car on the Tesla Network...

Reactions: SpudLime
Why wouldn't Tesla just release their own fleet of vehicles which they can make money from?

Even smarter than that- they're leasing them to people bad at math for the next 3 years while the FSD stuff gets finished...then they'll HAVE a fleet of depreciated-on-someone-elses-dime cars to do exactly that with.

The real takeaway is that they are getting people to buy them via lease right now and they get them in 3 years, after the lessors have taken the depreciation hit. They are getting "gently used" Model 3s for the robot fleet at a discount.

They of course are taking the risk that they could be stuck with who knows how many "gently used" model 3s in 3 years if they do not have FSD working....

Not much risk given how much the lease cost is front loaded to the guy leasing it- they ought have no issue selling CPO model 3s if the fleet thing isn't ready without losing anything on the deal.

Why wouldn't Tesla just release their own fleet of vehicles which they can make money from? Seems odd to me to have personal cars in the fleet which is taking away from their profits. Also being a longer term Tesla owner my views towards a fully autonomous Tesla is that they are many years away still. EAP on my X and 3 is still glitchy with phantom brakes and random deceleration when merging and a slew of other things. When I bought my cars and experienced autopilot for the first time is was mind blowing to me, but after owning and using the cars I believe they are just not close to their goals yet. I would not recommend anyone to buy their car with the hopes of this happening as a primary driving force to do so at this time.
Some still want to own and some rent

The kids who are 10 now will NOT need to learn to drive, when they are 18, they will Uber/Lyft and finally Tesla Network with self driving cars. And Ubers and Lyft self driving cars. The old people who drive will age out of the system. The old people watch a sitcom on Thursday at 8 pm. The next gen watches on their smart phone and don't have broadcast TV.

The kids who are 10 now will NOT need to learn to drive, when they are 18, they will Uber/Lyft and finally Tesla Network with self driving cars. And Ubers and Lyft self driving cars. The old people who drive will age out of the system. The old people watch a sitcom on Thursday at 8 pm. The next gen watches on their smart phone and don't have broadcast TV.
I will call that a very optimistic prediction...

I didn't read the thread and I'm sure this has already been mentioned:

1) I find it very unlikely legislation is going to be set up in the next 5 years for completely automated cars... much less 2.

2) No insurance company is going to insure the car until some long time after legislation (so the can gather enough data to understand the risk). Perhaps Tesla will start their own which could solve that problem.

I wonder how Unlimited SC plays out here. For any of you who took the $5k refund, have you ever noticed Tesla forgot to remove your free charging? I’ve heard some are still getting free charging, despite the refund. Also, think Tesla will honor free Supercharging for cars in their Tesla Robo-Taxi program?

I didn't read the thread and I'm sure this has already been mentioned:

1) I find it very unlikely legislation is going to be set up in the next 5 years for completely automated cars... much less 2.

2) No insurance company is going to insure the car until some long time after legislation (so the can gather enough data to understand the risk). Perhaps Tesla will start their own which could solve that problem.
I think for phase one.

The cars will be at the Malls and corner offices like a Hertz Local Editions, and the user will use the App and unlock the car and drive and drop off as needed.

No clue where Tesla is getting these numbers. Very real numbers from my Uber and Lyft accounts.

Keep in mind these are online miles, meaning all miles traveled while logged in whether I had a passenger or not to include miles traveled to get passengers after the ride was accepted.

Uber:
2,176 miles / 88 trips = an average of 24.72 miles per trip.
GROSS earnings $1,382.55 - $451.59 in expenses and and fees = $930.96 for Gross profit. or $0.428/ mile.

Lyft: 1643.56 miles / 47 Trips = 34.97 miles per trip
GROSS earnings $1,071.97 - 392.03 in expenses and fees = $679.94 in gross profit or $0.41/mile

So using an average of 0.42/mile travelling 90K a year you'd gross $37,800 in the real world. That's all before fuel, maintenance, repairs etc. At 90K/yr you'd be going through 2-3 sets of tires alone. Tesla like to talk about million miles for its drive train when they haven't even shown one real world example of anything making it to a million miles, Tesloop hasn't made a battery last more than 2-300K. Tesla also doesn't mention how much bearings, control arms etc. are going to cost.

I don't know how Tesla thinks they're going to gross 65 cents at 50% when the rideshare services already established are only making .41-.42, they will either have to increase prices or reduce their fees but even if I took 100% of the fares from Uber and Lyft I would average .63 and .65 cents per mile. So in essence I would have to take 100% of the current fare in order to make what Tesla is claiming. So Tesla is either taking zero commision or they are going to have to increase prices. I highly doubt Tesla will run this platform out of the goodness of their heart, and would someone really pay 20% more to take a driverless Tesla over a human Lyft?

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and Tron 3