Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just ordered an ID4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But you’re comparing a £32k car (real world price for a middle-spec ID3 model) with a Tesla Model 3 SR+ at £42k. They’re not in the same sector.

Why would I be looking at a mid spec ID3 if I was shopping against a Model 3? Of course I would be considering a fully loaded top spec ID3. Model 3 SR+ is £40k too in the colour I wanted. In the end we went for a LR AWD, which I agree is considerably more expensive.

Realistically, what has the ID.3 got in common with the Model 3, other than being an EV?

The two cars are in different segments (ID.3 is C segment, Model 3 is D segment), different body types (ID.3 is a hatchback, Model 3 is a saloon) and massively different price brackets (ID.3 ranges from ~£30k to ~£40k, Model 3 ranges from ~40k to ~£60k).

The ID.3 isn't even in the same category as the Model Y when it arrives here, that's ID.4 territory. Tesla doesn't yet make a car that comes close to being an ID.3 competitor yet, the closest it may get is the fabled Model 2, if and when that goes on sale here.

Realistically, what has the ID.3 got in common with the Model 3, other than being an EV?

The two cars are in different segments (ID.3 is C segment, Model 3 is D segment), different body types (ID.3 is a hatchback, Model 3 is a saloon) and massively different price brackets (ID.3 ranges from ~£30k to ~£40k, Model 3 ranges from ~40k to ~£60k).

The ID.3 isn't even in the same category as the Model Y when it arrives here, that's ID.4 territory. Tesla doesn't yet make a car that comes close to being an ID.3 competitor yet, the closest it may get is the fabled Model 2, if and when that goes on sale here.

I agree and yet there are still lots of people cross shopping them simply because they are both EVs and there isn’t a lot else to choose from. It’s more a sign of lack of choice in the EV market.

Sorry, I've taken so long to come back. I wanted to get to know the ID4 better and also started a new job. I'll try and give a quick summary of how I compare the two.

Drive:
- The ID4 is much better at soaking up the bumps. Not just because the M3 is a firmer ride but the ID4 seems more composed over potholes etc. Plus it has fewer rattles.
- The M3 is much more fun to drive, it's sharper, the creep is more conventional than the very odd ID4s creep.
- The ID4 is so much quieter, there's really no comparison - it might be that mine was particularly bad (they could never fix a gap in the driver's windows) but it really is night and day.

Software:
- I really like being able to use Android auto in the ID4. For maps, voice recognition etc it's much better than the M3 was.
- Charging in the ID4 is totally broken, lots of it doesn't make sense and the departure time is broken (see ID4 forums). There are hacks (like multiple departure times being set) to get things working. M3 was obviously a breeze here.
- No keyless entry with the app. In fact, the app for the ID4 is fairly pointless and doesn't sync properly.
- I actually prefer less detail r.e. the battery. The ID4 simply tells you how many miles you have on the centre console, and you know what, it's more than enough.
- I miss the autodrive (lane keeping) of the M3. It did try to kill me a couple of times though, so not sure how great a loss it is. Whatever Elon says the lidar (or whatever the ID4 uses for speed assist) is much more accurate/predictable and hasn't resulted in random hard breaking like the M3.

Build/Practicality:
- Obviously, the ID4 is larger - and it's been amazing having a real boot.
- I didn't realise I was buying a PRO and not a MAX, so I really miss electric seat adjustment etc.
- I don't actually miss the glass roof, the M3 had to work hard to keep the car cool even in moderate weather which didn't seem super eco to me.
- OMG the ID4 is built so well. It feels like a Bentley compared to the M3. I really don't miss how janky it was.
- The smaller screen upfront is really helpful, my wife can now do things on the radio without me freaking out because I can't see the directions anymore.

If you need a larger car and don't mind the less exciting drive, I highly recommend the ID4. It's a totally different car. I like driving so am actually getting a different car for weekend driving etc. But if you want something practical/reliable for the family I would take this over the M3 any day. I'd really need to live with the MY to know how it compares - but my guess is I'd stick with the ID4 if time was an issue, I had more service station visits with the M3 than any other car I've owned.

Sorry, I've taken so long to come back. I wanted to get to know the ID4 better and also started a new job. I'll try and give a quick summary of how I compare the two.

Drive:
- The ID4 is much better at soaking up the bumps. Not just because the M3 is a firmer ride but the ID4 seems more composed over potholes etc. Plus it has fewer rattles.
- The M3 is much more fun to drive, it's sharper, the creep is more conventional than the very odd ID4s creep.
- The ID4 is so much quieter, there's really no comparison - it might be that mine was particularly bad (they could never fix a gap in the driver's windows) but it really is night and day.

Software:
- I really like being able to use Android auto in the ID4. For maps, voice recognition etc it's much better than the M3 was.
- Charging in the ID4 is totally broken, lots of it doesn't make sense and the departure time is broken (see ID4 forums). There are hacks (like multiple departure times being set) to get things working. M3 was obviously a breeze here.
- No keyless entry with the app. In fact, the app for the ID4 is fairly pointless and doesn't sync properly.
- I actually prefer less detail r.e. the battery. The ID4 simply tells you how many miles you have on the centre console, and you know what, it's more than enough.
- I miss the autodrive (lane keeping) of the M3. It did try to kill me a couple of times though, so not sure how great a loss it is. Whatever Elon says the lidar (or whatever the ID4 uses for speed assist) is much more accurate/predictable and hasn't resulted in random hard breaking like the M3.

Build/Practicality:
- I didn't realise I was buying a PRO and not a MAX, so I really miss electric seat adjustment etc.
- I don't actually miss the glass roof, the M3 had to work hard to keep the car cool even in moderate weather which didn't seem super eco to me.
- OMG the ID4 is built so well. It feels like a Bentley compared to the M3. I really don't miss how janky it was.
- The smaller screen upfront is really helpful, my wife can now do things on the radio without me freaking out because I can't see the directions anymore.

If you need a larger car and don't mind the less exciting drive, I highly recommend the ID4. It's a totally different car. I like driving so am actually getting a different car for weekend driving etc. But if you want something practical/reliable for the family I would take this over the M3 any day. I'd really need to live with the MY to know how it compares - but my guess is I'd stick with the ID4 if time was an issue, I had more service station visits with the M3 than any other car I've owned.
Good review - thanks - and a touch brave on a Tesla forum :) , I'm looking at the moment for our second car and was thinking of the ID3 which I imagine many of the comments above would also apply to. I was heading towards a used i3s and as much as owners love them I drove one and wasn't convinced. I can't get out of my head that if I went Model 3 I'd want the LR even though the SR+ is a closer match on performance and range, and by that point I'm 10-15k more expensive. Without readong the whole thread, did you try the ID3?

Very good feedback this. To be honest I really like my 3 and I wouldn't consider it for myself but my wife may like it (kids and all that) ;)

Ps. I love the fact that on the UK side of this forum we are pragmatic and balanced. We mostly say things they way they are (well mostly....

Reactions: Jez_GB
How often do you think you'll make journeys that need en-route or destination charging? For me the SuC network was the clincher. - my son drives a Leaf and any long journey needs Plan A and Plan B and then Plan C for charging. I know the ID4 has much more range than a Leag, though.

Drive:

Software:

Build/Practicality:

For what it's worth, here's my brief take on the matter.
I test drove an ID 3 before changing cars (from an E-Golf which other than range and size given a growing family was a perfect for me)
I thought and still think, my egolf was a superb car, everything worked and worked ALL the time, UNLIKE the Tesla (except we connect, which I always thought should be re named we don't always connect!)
I liked the way the ID3 drove, I didn't like AT ALL the interior materials and perceived quality of the ID3 compared to the egolf. Cheap and nasty come to mind.
I now have a M3SR+, the road noise is far worse than the egolf, the lack of Apple Car Play is a PITA, the wipers and lights are not in the same league. Tesla AS A COMPANY are, based on my experience thus far, seriously lacking in so very many ways, frankly, for me, they stink.
I wont go on. (but I could, easily!)
Would I change... not right now.
Why?...
Several reasons, supercharging, super charging, supercharging ,don't want to type it anymore:) size, continual "improvements" /software updates... some of which appear to work and be an improvement, some of which seem to give with one hand and take away with the other:eek:
The ID4 was not available when I did my ID3 test drive and I haven't tried it yet, so I cant objectively comment or compare.
My feeling is perhaps coloured by the fact that the ID3 I tested was the worst (sorry, meant first) edition, the display wasn't even working when I arrived for test drive! and I quickly decided I wouldn't touch one with a proverbial bargepole.
Judging by (VW) forum comments, things are improving,
I would need to test an ID 4 and do a lot more "due diligence" before making the decision.

For what it's worth, here's my brief take on the matter.
I test drove an ID 3 before changing cars (from an E-Golf which other than range and size given a growing family was a perfect for me)
I thought and still think, my egolf was a superb car, everything worked and worked ALL the time, UNLIKE the Tesla (except we connect, which I always thought should be re named we don't always connect!)
I liked the way the ID3 drove, I didn't like AT ALL the interior materials and perceived quality of the ID3 compared to the egolf. Cheap and nasty come to mind.
I now have a M3SR+, the road noise is far worse than the egolf, the lack of Apple Car Play is a PITA, the wipers and lights are not in the same league. Tesla AS A COMPANY are, based on my experience thus far, seriously lacking in so very many ways, frankly, for me, they stink.
I wont go on. (but I could, easily!)
Would I change... not right now.
Why?...
Several reasons, supercharging, super charging, supercharging ,don't want to type it anymore:) size, continual "improvements" /software updates... some of which appear to work and be an improvement, some of which seem to give with one hand and take away with the other:eek:
The ID4 was not available when I did my ID3 test drive and I haven't tried it yet, so I cant objectively comment or compare.
My feeling is perhaps coloured by the fact that the ID3 I tested was the worst (sorry, meant first) edition, the display wasn't even working when I arrived for test drive! and I quickly decided I wouldn't touch one with a proverbial bargepole.
Judging by (VW) forum comments, things are improving,
I would need to test an ID 4 and do a lot more "due diligence" before making the decision.

- The ID4 cabin is pretty nice. Feels a lot better put together than the M3.
- I loved the M3 software but many parts of it still felt beta (see my other post for when lane changing almost killed me)
- I am worried about charging. No big trips yet. Recent news (electric highway?) are giving me hope. Plus I feel like I want to help move that forward...

Interesting thread, thanks for posting this.

We all look for different things in our cars. For me, it’s still down to Polestar 2 (seems safer and better built than Tesla) or a M3P (sketchy reports of build quality, new battery anomalies with gimped performance, strange Heatpump noises and failures).

I’ve always had dependable reliable cars from Toyota and BMW, so I’m not sure if I could stomach bugs, random maintenance or warranty issues every so often. I’m erring towards the PS2, but I’m so loving the performance and roominess of the M3P. PS2 is currently 6 months delivery.

The ID.3 was no 2 on my list.... The M3 LR was the winner.

I was changing from a Mercedes C63 so the M3 twin motor gives me the performance I love, at 10% of the fuel cost.
The road/wind noise is low after the C63.

The ID.3 was slower, and less range, less involving and a bit bland, although the fit and finish was as expected of a VAG group product.

The final nail in the coffin for the VW was the terrible availability of charging points around Salisbury, according to ZAM map most atr 7kw, a couple of 50kw. Many are shown as "off line" most of the time. The nearest Supercharger is 13 miles away. So with 7kw at home and 250kw 13 miles away it made sense to go Tesla.

Reactions: Tonyf and Doudeau
The ID.3 was no 2 on my list.... The M3 LR was the winner.

I was changing from a Mercedes C63 so the M3 twin motor gives me the performance I love, at 10% of the fuel cost.
The road/wind noise is low after the C63.

The ID.3 was slower, and less range, less involving and a bit bland, although the fit and finish was as expected of a VAG group product.

The final nail in the coffin for the VW was the terrible availability of charging points around Salisbury, according to ZAM map most atr 7kw, a couple of 50kw. Many are shown as "off line" most of the time. The nearest Supercharger is 13 miles away. So with 7kw at home and 250kw 13 miles away it made sense to go Tesla.

Zap-Map always shows chargers offline all the time - whether Superchargers or other brands.

Sadly the nearest SC to me is Scotch corner of ‘evil Holiday Inn’ fame so I’m not sure if I could be arsed dealing with that every time 🤣

The other half has literally just signed the paperwork on an ID.4 for largely the same reasons as you, mostly she didn't like the complete lack of information from Tesla about the likely arrival of the MY. In the end it came down to the VW, the Skoda equivalent or waiting for the upcoming Hyundai (which does look pretty good); we did the sums and the 1st Edition ends up trumping the Skoda on price - that'll be a different story in the future - so she started the process immediately after her test drive yesterday. Delivery is estimated as the last weekend in May, so that's made me rather jealous after the three month wait for my M3.

I have to say the ID4 and Nissan Arriya are on my shortlist and having just seen that ID4 vid, I'm impressed.
Being in lockdown however it's easy to forget how damn good (and reasonably priced) the Tesla supercharger network is on longer journeys.

You're not kidding, I looked at a route for a journey we're taking later this year and according to ABetterRoutePlanner it'll be about £5 to do the journey using the SC network, but about £30 in the ID.4 using Ionity (the two charge places are near each other and would take about the same amount of time, so it seems like a fair comparison).

Some of that is down to the VW being less efficient according the ABRP so it needs to add about 45kWh instead of the 20kWh it's predicting for the Tesla, but Ionity is still about three time the price per kWh. I'm not sure Ionity got the memo about electric transport being cheaper, those prices mean the ID.4 would cost about the same in sparks as our old cars would in petrol for the same run :D.

It'll be nice to have two EVs that we can realistically consider when doing long journeys, but it really looks like the Tesla will win more often than not.

That’s interesting. I always thought about superchargers in terms of convenience and not cost. I’ve never looked at or used ionity etc. Didn’t realise it was so expensive.

Back on topic, I’m not sure the id3/4 is a fair comparison for a M3. Maybe the BMW i4 will be. At this point in time I would prefer the build quality of the BMW. Also, far too many M3’s around now! One lives on every street! Cult of Tesla winds me up too ..

We all look for different things in our cars. For me, it’s still down to Polestar 2 (seems safer and better built than Tesla) or a M3P (sketchy reports of build quality, new battery anomalies with gimped performance, strange Heatpump noises and failures).

Get what makes you feel happy!!

I've just seen Vauxhall has released a 7 seater EV, on paper it looks fine and interms of reliability am pretty sure it'll be better than our X.

BUT am so glad am lucky enough to own/drive our X everyday versus the Combo-life.

Only you know what makes you smile every day.

The use of superchargers is fairly sparodic for most people so cost makes little difference to me, and some of the networks are the same price or cheaper than the superchargers anyway. Spending £40k+ on a car then worrying about an extra £20 a few times a year charging while drinking a £3.50 cup of coffee while you wait shouldn;t be a swing item. If you have to use these chargers daily then even the cost of the Tesla superchargers makes some ICE cars seem reasonable.

The other half has literally just signed the paperwork on an ID.4 for largely the same reasons as you, mostly she didn't like the complete lack of information from Tesla about the likely arrival of the MY. In the end it came down to the VW, the Skoda equivalent or waiting for the upcoming Hyundai (which does look pretty good); we did the sums and the 1st Edition ends up trumping the Skoda on price - that'll be a different story in the future - so she started the process immediately after her test drive yesterday. Delivery is estimated as the last weekend in May, so that's made me rather jealous after the three month wait for my M3.

You're not kidding, I looked at a route for a journey we're taking later this year and according to ABetterRoutePlanner it'll be about £5 to do the journey using the SC network, but about £30 in the ID.4 using Ionity (the two charge places are near each other and would take about the same amount of time, so it seems like a fair comparison).

Some of that is down to the VW being less efficient according the ABRP so it needs to add about 45kWh instead of the 20kWh it's predicting for the Tesla, but Ionity is still about three time the price per kWh. I'm not sure Ionity got the memo about electric transport being cheaper, those prices mean the ID.4 would cost about the same in sparks as our old cars would in petrol for the same run :D.

It'll be nice to have two EVs that we can realistically consider when doing long journeys, but it really looks like the Tesla will win more often than not.
And don't forget SuC chsrges for DC at the car. Ionity and others charge for AC at the charger. What is the difference? No one knows for sure. 5-10% maybe i.e.if you need 45kwh you could be paying for 47-50kwh.

Zap-Map always shows chargers offline all the time - whether Superchargers or other brands.

Sadly the nearest SC to me is Scotch corner of ‘evil Holiday Inn’ fame so I’m not sure if I could be arsed dealing with that every time 🤣

I use the Scotch Corner SC frequently, and it's no issue at all. Just head into reception, type in your number plate, use the nice, clean toilets and if you feel like it buy a decent take-away coffee ifrom the bar....