Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Need More Camber

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
INeedMoreCamber.jpg

Yesterday was my second track day at Laguna Seca with RE71R. I tried to keep the cold pressure at 32 and hot at 35/36. Excellent grip, but the right shoulders are pretty much gone. @MountainPass Upper Control Arm could come fast enough.
Couple more track days then it will be time to remount these tires inside out to get more mileage out of them.

IMG_3555.JPG

IMG_3553.JPG

Reactions: destructure00
I admittedly didn't look too much into the suspension on the Model 3 prior to purchase but I'm kinda bummed I need to buy extra stuff just to adjust camber. My Solstice even has front caster adjustment and that was designed like 15 years ago now.

I admittedly didn't look too much into the suspension on the Model 3 prior to purchase but I'm kinda bummed I need to buy extra stuff just to adjust camber. My Solstice even has front caster adjustment and that was designed like 15 years ago now.

My MX-5 had more adjustments than ever needed, back in 1990!

...because those cars needed the adjustability just to go in a straight line?

No, because Chrysler built them CORRECTLY. Nowadays, some settings like the caster are not adjustable. They depend on the strut tower being in the right place, and if the car ever gets body damage in an accident, the thing has to be fixed exactly right, or the caster will be off and the car will always tend to pull towards the side with more caster in it.

This kind of building is passed off as "ease" and "convenience" for the alignment techs having to work with only two adjustments (camber and toe) instead of 3, but really, it is just a half-assed take-the-easy-way-out design job.

And toe is always the last angle to be set, because if you set it first, then make changes to camber or even caster, it'll pull or push the toe and make it wrong.

An example of this is when these jackass boy racers slam their Honda Civics and similar cars to the ground and put those big stupid looking wheels on them and have them angled a lot (usually an extreme amount of negative camber) to just barely fit in the fenders. They have to use aftermarket caster/camber plates to alter the top strut mount location to get the alignment moved, and even then it is far off of where it should be.

When I lived in Los Angeles, I saw a lot of those idiots out there do the same thing, but with putting little tiny wheels and tires on a full size Cadillac or similar car. Morons. And I am sure they did not properly recalibrate their speedometer for the smaller tire size either.

Last edited:
Lots of cars don't come with adjustable camber anymore, makes you wonder why they charge so much for an alignment when they're doing front toe and *maybe* there's something to tweak for the back wheels .. or not..

Least with my (gone) front wheel drive ICE car, a couple $10 asymmetrical lower strut bolts could dial in a degree or two..

Lots of cars don't come with adjustable camber anymore, makes you wonder why they charge so much for an alignment when they're doing front toe and *maybe* there's something to tweak for the back wheels .. or not..

Those are called designed-in profits. Make a crucial, non-adjustable suspension part just strong enough to last for a while, and after a few big bumps or 50,000 miles of wear it bends a bit and throws the alignment way off. And the only solution is to buy another obscenely priced replacement, which they always claim is on intergalactic back order, so they can charge more and make more PROFITS on you after the car is sold and warranty expires.

Sounds like something that Dan Halen (from Squidbillies) would do!:eek:

Reactions: Sherlo

Least with my (gone) front wheel drive ICE car, a couple $10 asymmetrical lower strut bolts could dial in a degree or two..
It's so odd - my friend's 2018 BMW M2 doesn't even have adjustable front camber. He's currently destroying the shoulders on his Michelin PSS at track days and is going to have to get some camber plates. That M2 is touted so much as a track-focused car, but it's really not set up that way as stock.

Oh sweet baby Jesus. Delivered today. Install soon. This will make the Chin Track Day at COTA even better.

Attachments

• F397A1FD-2468-467E-99F4-9B2B29A53DE1.jpeg
    F397A1FD-2468-467E-99F4-9B2B29A53DE1.jpeg
    645.8 KB · Views: 53
  • E2C83BA4-112D-4D55-96DF-6592F08407A9.jpeg
    E2C83BA4-112D-4D55-96DF-6592F08407A9.jpeg
    550 KB · Views: 56
  • 440E9AA9-4EF8-434E-A142-F897969FD2E8.jpeg
    440E9AA9-4EF8-434E-A142-F897969FD2E8.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 25101C6A-0491-44AE-9465-29ED850F87D6.jpeg
    25101C6A-0491-44AE-9465-29ED850F87D6.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 43
Christopher Walken would be impressed.

You're going to love them. The difference in front end grip when you dial in around -3 degrees of camber is mega. One thing to be careful about the RE71R is how it gives up. The tire will hold up a lot longer if you keep it at 98% grip, rather than pushing for 105% all the time. If you keep it just below it's ultimate limit, the tire will have great grip for a few laps. If you ask too much of it, it will overheat and give up after a few corners.

I would imagine this will be very significant at COTA in the Esses. I can't think of a more difficult complex of corners than those for overheating front tires in an already front heavy car.

When we raced there we always managed tires and it ended up being significant late into the stint. There are a lot of long duration corners!

Knowing how the RE71R tends to act, the front upper control arms will be a huge improvement there because at least you'll be able to use all of the tire!