Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need some convincing re: M3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all - my name's Royal, from Chicago IL. I'm a recovering/stubborn old school car guy warming up to the idea of ditching ICEs for my daily driver. For my entire life I have always enjoyed driver focused analog style cars, and I've had many of them, (example: I've owned every generation of 3 series up until the F30, and I also own a Morgan 3 wheeler). I just absolutely love driving.

So, I'm considering a Model 3 Performance edition, with gunmetal paint and black interior. I don't really have any interest in the self driving aspects and cost is not a primary consideration, I just want a really cool daily driver that will last me five to ten years. Also I'm not really considering any other cars and I'm not "up" on what the M3 Performance is being compared to. BMW, Audi, Benz, etc. haven't really been interesting in years to me... Basically, I am just looking to hear from other people that may have been in my position.

Will I like this car? Anyone move away from a stick shift and love it? Also, I sometimes like to customize my vehicles, are there any forums dedicated to this? Can't wait to learn a little more. Also, is it possible to order the car with smaller wheels than 20"? Seems kind of big for a smaller sedan, I'd prefer an 18 or 19.

I know this is long but I'm real curious. Hope to hear from some of you soon!

• Disagree
Reactions: Gordon87
You can skip to 28:22 if you want to get to the driving part of his review.

I am picking my my performance tomorrow, so I don't really have a whole lot of time in it besides a test drive...but man was that test drive intoxicating. I'm coming from a 2012 Audi S4 6MT, which I had modified quite a bit, including stage 2+ dual pulley. I've been driving manuals exclusively since I was 16, so I'm also worried I'll really miss it....but man was that test drive intoxicating.

You really do need to go take one for a spin. Only you can judge if the crazy torque from zero and silly acceleration are enough to make up for the loss of character from rowing gears and hearing sweet exhaust notes.

With regards to smaller wheels, you can fit both 19, and some 18's on there.

I was down to a M2 Competition and a TM3 Performance. I ended up with the TM3P and I can honestly say it’s the best car I’ve ever owned. No contest as a daily driver the best car period. However, it’s not the most “involved” car and I do miss my stick shift and I really miss the sound. However, those things don’t make a good daily driver, they make a great drivers car. For what I use my car now, I’m glad I mad my decision but I’d be lying if I do t look at those M2 Competitions and am a little jealous. Or hear an incredible V8 scream away from a light and feel a little nostalgic. If I was still raking my car to the track 2-4 times a year I would say I should have gotten the M2, but overall I think I’m happiest with the TM3P.

Maybe I need to go ahead and pull the trigger on the MPP coilovers....hmmmm

DM me if interested. I have owned manual sports cars since I was 17. I owned a few DSG cars (Audi RS5, E46 M3 SMG, Audi S6), I never kept them for more than 6 months and would go back to manuals immediately. I always found that the car was in the wrong gear and took too long to get into one and would improperly hunt.

I was really concerned when replacing my 6MT ATS-V with the P3D, but honestly zero regrets. There is NO transmission. I’m always in the right gear.

I sometimes miss the sound/involvement of an ICE sports car, but it’s so infrequent and more than made up for all the upsides of this car. Instant power all the time is just insane.

I could write a novel on how much I struggled with non-manual sports cars, but it simply is not an issue with this car.

Hey all - my name's Royal, from Chicago IL. I'm a recovering/stubborn old school car guy warming up to the idea of ditching ICEs for my daily driver. For my entire life I have always enjoyed driver focused analog style cars, and I've had many of them, (example: I've owned every generation of 3 series up until the F30, and I also own a Morgan 3 wheeler). I just absolutely love driving.

So, I'm considering a Model 3 Performance edition, with gunmetal paint and black interior. I don't really have any interest in the self driving aspects and cost is not a primary consideration, I just want a really cool daily driver that will last me five to ten years. Also I'm not really considering any other cars and I'm not "up" on what the M3 Performance is being compared to. BMW, Audi, Benz, etc. haven't really been interesting in years to me... Basically, I am just looking to hear from other people that may have been in my position.

Will I like this car? Anyone move away from a stick shift and love it? Also, I sometimes like to customize my vehicles, are there any forums dedicated to this? Can't wait to learn a little more. Also, is it possible to order the car with smaller wheels than 20"? Seems kind of big for a smaller sedan, I'd prefer an 18 or 19.

You will like the car, but it is not a true replacement.

I kept my manual Porsche for weekend fun (even though it is "slower" then my M3P!) - automotive enjoyment takes many forms.

I wrote this about a year ago:

My dream car as a kid was a Lotus, and in 2008 I was able to achieve that dream when I purchased a used 2006 Lotus Elise. The Elise is a great car, a ton of fun to drive, affordable for a Lotus (I paid $36k), and very affordable to maintain due to its Toyota motor. At the time I bought the Elise, I did look at the Tesla Roadster. I avoided it though for a few reasons. First, although it had some Elise DNA, it took all of the things that were great about the Elise and in my opinion diluted them. It did not have the light weight that defines the Lotus marque, in fact it was a beast weight-wise. It took the Elise’s fantastic styling and made it angular, modernish, and ugly. And worst of all, the battery-rear design made the handling of the Roadster far inferior to the Elise. It was a great start for Tesla but it did not really come close to my definition of a fun car. Also it was much more money than I wanted to spend. I bought the Elise but decided that when Tesla made a car I wanted, I would buy one. Right around that time we put in a large solar array so that was a factor as well — we could re-fuel for free if we had an EV.

Between now and then I have watched Tesla closely. The model S did not appeal to me, mainly due to its size but also it just was not as fun to drive as the Elise. I drove a P85D the first week it was at the Tesla showroom, and while the power was something I had never experienced, it still felt big and heavy. I loved it as a technological achievement but did not feel compelled to buy one. When the Model 3 was announced, it looked like a possible match to my wants. I knew there would eventually be a P variant, so I did not line up to purchase on day one. Instead I waited for the P announcement and then placed my order as soon as ordering opened. I went for the P-, mainly because I had learned from watching the S forums that larger wheels were not a benefit, and I wanted the best range possible. I expected that I would upgrade the brakes at some point. When I purchased my P the details of the P+ were not really fully known, specifically the improved brakes and of course the much later announced Track Mode. I’m not going to say much about the +/- issue or the further twists that are going on now, but I will say that it is unfortunate that it has served to balkanize the P community. I had some doubt about my purchase when Track Mode was announced, but Elon’s tweet about making Track Mode available to all seemed to address that. I should mention, I have never tracked my Lotus, but I have autocrossed it several times. The jump to tracking is too much for me — both the cost and the risk to the vehicle. Auto-x allows for fun driving and a chance to find the absolute cornering limits of your car, and I recommend it to everyone. Here in San Diego we have an auto-x Novice School that is cheap and will get you going quickly.

My P3D- was the first Model 3 I drove. The local Tesla store offered to let me drive a P before delivery, but I wanted to wait and be surprised. I know for some that will sound crazy, the opposite of how buying a car should be, but for me it worked. The first thing I had to try with the new car was an all-out acceleration. As expected, it was very intense. The power is like no other car I have driven, and I have driven recent model Lamborghinis and Jaguars (F Type) as well as my Lotus and a number of other sports cars. Speaking of the Lotus, the power comparison is pretty crazy — the Tesla is much quicker than the Lotus. A standard Elise like mine has a 0-60 time of around 5 seconds. It feels very fast, due to the twin-cam design and the low to the ground driving position, but in fact it is slower than most mid-range sports cars. The P3D does not have that limitation. I don’t want to spend a lot of time talking about the massive power though, as many have covered that and really there is not much opportunity to use it on the road. I am a fairly conservative driver on public roads. I rarely drive over about 6/10 and I insist on staying totally in control. I like to have plenty of room for the unknown, and excessive speeding does not allow for that. I will just say that power is not a problem with this car.

The real beauty of the P3D, and I suspect this is common to all Model 3 variants, is just how great it is at road handling. It corners fantastically well. I don’t like the overused expression “on rails”, but the Model 3 really does track very precisely through corners. It does have a little more body roll than the Elise — and that is what I wanted to learn more about at the auto-x — but in general it is very flat and feels graceful, precise, and highly-engineered through turns. Like the Elise, it conveys a feeling of speed and control through turns even when it is not going that fast. To me that is one of the trademarks of a fun car — a feeling of speed even when driving at normal speeds. After years of driving an Elise it is unusual for me to be impressed by the handling of another model of car, but the 3 really is that good. The instant torque adds to the cornering, in that if you want to push the exit a little bit, you can do so very easily. The on-tap power and the perfect balance of the car make this feel completely natural. A turn in the mountains, taken just at the speed limit, feels totally rewarding — smooth and efficient, vectored as though the car knows right where you want it to go. These are things the Elise shares with the Model 3, but what is amazing to me is that the Elise is purpose-built — the only thing it has going for it is that it is fun to drive, while the Model 3 is also just a great all-around vehicle.

A few other minor things I like about the Model 3. The steering wheel is just right! The Elise has what I consider to be a perfect steering wheel — a leather-wrapped Momo that is 12” in diameter and fairly thin. The Model 3 is just over 13.5” and a little thicker, but it feels great in the hand. I like to think that some elements of the old Elise have influenced Tesla’s design through the Roadster to the 3, and maybe the steering wheel is one of them. It’s a hugely important element of a driver’s car and Tesla got it just right. In contrast, I drove another exotic recently that had a very thick, ugly steering wheel, covered with buttons and paddles and even a display. It was horrible and disqualified that car completely for me (as did the price). And while we are on the topic of steering, one concern I had with the Model 3 was the steering feel. The Elise has a basic rack-and-pinion, unassisted steering and I love it, so the nearly drive-by-wire design of the Tesla had me worried. It turns out it is really good. Super precise, and just overall a very good feeling of connection to the car and the road — critical for a fun-to-drive car. I use the highest setting for steering (Sport), mainly because I am used to a heavier feel. I do not miss the Lotus steering at all, despite it having what may be the most positively reviewed steering of any car (see Top Gear).

Also, the concept of regenerative braking is new to me, and I will never buy a car again without it. It is so much more natural than braking, so intuitive and functional. I did San Diego’s test piece — Palomar Mountain — using no braking the entire way. I am really looking forward to what the further application of regen might be via Track Mode, and of course I want to see how useful it is in an auto-x setting. For regular, spirited, fun driving though, it is a new essential.

For car guys who have read this far, I want to mention engine sound. The Elise is plenty loud, even with the stock muffler. The motor is just inches from the driver’s ears, and it is not a particularly quiet ride. Hitting the second cam, especially under an overpass, is a delicious moment for sure. I also appreciate the tones of other cars — Maserati and Ferrari in particular both have very sweet notes. All that said, driving without engine noise is a great experience, and for me it is even more engaging for the driver than having a nice engine tone. Being able to hear the wind noise (I drive with the windows open usually), hear the sounds of the surroundings, even hear the sound of the tires going over the road surface — these all serve to pull you further into the driving experience. The engine noise was, for me, a component of the driving experience, but unfortunately it was so loud that it was the only audible component. With it largely gone all these other elements of the audible environment come to the front. It’s a different experience for sure, but for me it was a huge step forward.

Finally I want to mention one more comparison between the Lotus and the Tesla. The Lotus is beautifully simple. There are few gauges, few buttons, almost no knobs. It’s easy to drive and easy to work on. The Tesla — while packed with behind-the-scenes technology — is almost equally simple, and equally beautiful. Drivers — people who love to drive — should not focus on the silliness of autopilot or self-driving, or the size of the touchscreen or the AC vent origami, or even the lack of a button for the glovebox. Instead, focus on the road, the land, the weather, the other drivers around you. The Tesla is perfectly optimized for this.

I was going to buy an Audi S5 or BMW M4 until I test drive both of them and then the model three performance. Let’s just say I picked up my model three performance last Saturday and it’s amazing, you’ll love it unless you really want a bunch of buttons!
CE6AFF8B-3295-4852-9295-4ECF4AC2FB7E.jpeg

You can get smaller wheels with the 'Stealth' Performance. Which is a cool car because no one knows you are so, so fast. And the car makes no noise!

Regarding what the M3 Performance matches up with in the BMW line, most people say it the M3 BMW 3 series with the V-8.

As far as transmission that shift go, those are just crutches ICE cars need because they; 1) have minimal low RPM torque, and 2) do not rev anywhere near a electric motor (16,000+ RPM).

EVs, and the M3P in particular, in general have massive amounts of torque from single digit RPMs. This creates a strong pull that throws passengers back in their seats. And as the RPMs build the torque continues to throw you back into the seat. So, think fast roller coaster launch, not car launch.

And all this is the torque is available instantaneously. No waiting for the transmission (or you to downshift), no waiting for a turbo to come up to power. Power comes on like flipping a lightswitch.

The result is that at any moment you can press your right foot a little bit and jump up 20-30 mph in a sec or so. Want to get in front of a car, tap the gas pedal. Want to beat that vette to next light, press and hold.

The end result is even commuting can me fun. Because even if you had a crappy day at work, the 3P will put a smile on your face. And even in stop and go, the cruise control deals with keeping some SOB from cutting in front of you.

Life is short, get a 3P.

Just take a test drive.

This, and then you'll be hooked. No-one takes a test drive and thinks 'meh, I'll get the Mazda'.

OK you get my point. But do drive a performance, or a stealth (bit cheaper), floor it when safe, and see how it feels for you.

I used to have a Cayman S (wonderful car). It handles remarkably similar to it. Someone above talked about the Lotus Elise and body roll. The Cayman was incredible for sticking to long corners. You could floor it coming out and it wouldn't ever feel loose. The 3 isn't QUITE that good, but it's damn near close.

Over the last 30 years I've driven each one of these as my daily driver, all manual transmission, in this order:
BMW 318i, 325i, 528i, 540i, and M5. Then I discovered Tesla. P85+ in 2013, P3D last year.

Each has been faster/quicker than the one before.
It's like the evolution of man. You'll never look back.
The new Roadster will likely be my "Ultimate Driving Machine".

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I wrote this about a year ago:

My dream car as a kid was a Lotus, and in 2008 I was able to achieve that dream when I purchased a used 2006 Lotus Elise. The Elise is a great car, a ton of fun to drive, affordable for a Lotus (I paid $36k), and very affordable to maintain due to its Toyota motor. At the time I bought the Elise, I did look at the Tesla Roadster. I avoided it though for a few reasons. First, although it had some Elise DNA, it took all of the things that were great about the Elise and in my opinion diluted them. It did not have the light weight that defines the Lotus marque, in fact it was a beast weight-wise. It took the Elise’s fantastic styling and made it angular, modernish, and ugly. And worst of all, the battery-rear design made the handling of the Roadster far inferior to the Elise. It was a great start for Tesla but it did not really come close to my definition of a fun car. Also it was much more money than I wanted to spend. I bought the Elise but decided that when Tesla made a car I wanted, I would buy one. Right around that time we put in a large solar array so that was a factor as well — we could re-fuel for free if we had an EV.

Between now and then I have watched Tesla closely. The model S did not appeal to me, mainly due to its size but also it just was not as fun to drive as the Elise. I drove a P85D the first week it was at the Tesla showroom, and while the power was something I had never experienced, it still felt big and heavy. I loved it as a technological achievement but did not feel compelled to buy one. When the Model 3 was announced, it looked like a possible match to my wants. I knew there would eventually be a P variant, so I did not line up to purchase on day one. Instead I waited for the P announcement and then placed my order as soon as ordering opened. I went for the P-, mainly because I had learned from watching the S forums that larger wheels were not a benefit, and I wanted the best range possible. I expected that I would upgrade the brakes at some point. When I purchased my P the details of the P+ were not really fully known, specifically the improved brakes and of course the much later announced Track Mode. I’m not going to say much about the +/- issue or the further twists that are going on now, but I will say that it is unfortunate that it has served to balkanize the P community. I had some doubt about my purchase when Track Mode was announced, but Elon’s tweet about making Track Mode available to all seemed to address that. I should mention, I have never tracked my Lotus, but I have autocrossed it several times. The jump to tracking is too much for me — both the cost and the risk to the vehicle. Auto-x allows for fun driving and a chance to find the absolute cornering limits of your car, and I recommend it to everyone. Here in San Diego we have an auto-x Novice School that is cheap and will get you going quickly.

My P3D- was the first Model 3 I drove. The local Tesla store offered to let me drive a P before delivery, but I wanted to wait and be surprised. I know for some that will sound crazy, the opposite of how buying a car should be, but for me it worked. The first thing I had to try with the new car was an all-out acceleration. As expected, it was very intense. The power is like no other car I have driven, and I have driven recent model Lamborghinis and Jaguars (F Type) as well as my Lotus and a number of other sports cars. Speaking of the Lotus, the power comparison is pretty crazy — the Tesla is much quicker than the Lotus. A standard Elise like mine has a 0-60 time of around 5 seconds. It feels very fast, due to the twin-cam design and the low to the ground driving position, but in fact it is slower than most mid-range sports cars. The P3D does not have that limitation. I don’t want to spend a lot of time talking about the massive power though, as many have covered that and really there is not much opportunity to use it on the road. I am a fairly conservative driver on public roads. I rarely drive over about 6/10 and I insist on staying totally in control. I like to have plenty of room for the unknown, and excessive speeding does not allow for that. I will just say that power is not a problem with this car.

The real beauty of the P3D, and I suspect this is common to all Model 3 variants, is just how great it is at road handling. It corners fantastically well. I don’t like the overused expression “on rails”, but the Model 3 really does track very precisely through corners. It does have a little more body roll than the Elise — and that is what I wanted to learn more about at the auto-x — but in general it is very flat and feels graceful, precise, and highly-engineered through turns. Like the Elise, it conveys a feeling of speed and control through turns even when it is not going that fast. To me that is one of the trademarks of a fun car — a feeling of speed even when driving at normal speeds. After years of driving an Elise it is unusual for me to be impressed by the handling of another model of car, but the 3 really is that good. The instant torque adds to the cornering, in that if you want to push the exit a little bit, you can do so very easily. The on-tap power and the perfect balance of the car make this feel completely natural. A turn in the mountains, taken just at the speed limit, feels totally rewarding — smooth and efficient, vectored as though the car knows right where you want it to go. These are things the Elise shares with the Model 3, but what is amazing to me is that the Elise is purpose-built — the only thing it has going for it is that it is fun to drive, while the Model 3 is also just a great all-around vehicle.

A few other minor things I like about the Model 3. The steering wheel is just right! The Elise has what I consider to be a perfect steering wheel — a leather-wrapped Momo that is 12” in diameter and fairly thin. The Model 3 is just over 13.5” and a little thicker, but it feels great in the hand. I like to think that some elements of the old Elise have influenced Tesla’s design through the Roadster to the 3, and maybe the steering wheel is one of them. It’s a hugely important element of a driver’s car and Tesla got it just right. In contrast, I drove another exotic recently that had a very thick, ugly steering wheel, covered with buttons and paddles and even a display. It was horrible and disqualified that car completely for me (as did the price). And while we are on the topic of steering, one concern I had with the Model 3 was the steering feel. The Elise has a basic rack-and-pinion, unassisted steering and I love it, so the nearly drive-by-wire design of the Tesla had me worried. It turns out it is really good. Super precise, and just overall a very good feeling of connection to the car and the road — critical for a fun-to-drive car. I use the highest setting for steering (Sport), mainly because I am used to a heavier feel. I do not miss the Lotus steering at all, despite it having what may be the most positively reviewed steering of any car (see Top Gear).

Also, the concept of regenerative braking is new to me, and I will never buy a car again without it. It is so much more natural than braking, so intuitive and functional. I did San Diego’s test piece — Palomar Mountain — using no braking the entire way. I am really looking forward to what the further application of regen might be via Track Mode, and of course I want to see how useful it is in an auto-x setting. For regular, spirited, fun driving though, it is a new essential.

For car guys who have read this far, I want to mention engine sound. The Elise is plenty loud, even with the stock muffler. The motor is just inches from the driver’s ears, and it is not a particularly quiet ride. Hitting the second cam, especially under an overpass, is a delicious moment for sure. I also appreciate the tones of other cars — Maserati and Ferrari in particular both have very sweet notes. All that said, driving without engine noise is a great experience, and for me it is even more engaging for the driver than having a nice engine tone. Being able to hear the wind noise (I drive with the windows open usually), hear the sounds of the surroundings, even hear the sound of the tires going over the road surface — these all serve to pull you further into the driving experience. The engine noise was, for me, a component of the driving experience, but unfortunately it was so loud that it was the only audible component. With it largely gone all these other elements of the audible environment come to the front. It’s a different experience for sure, but for me it was a huge step forward.

Finally I want to mention one more comparison between the Lotus and the Tesla. The Lotus is beautifully simple. There are few gauges, few buttons, almost no knobs. It’s easy to drive and easy to work on. The Tesla — while packed with behind-the-scenes technology — is almost equally simple, and equally beautiful. Drivers — people who love to drive — should not focus on the silliness of autopilot or self-driving, or the size of the touchscreen or the AC vent origami, or even the lack of a button for the glovebox. Instead, focus on the road, the land, the weather, the other drivers around you. The Tesla is perfectly optimized for this.
I read the first and last paragraphs of this post and felt fully re-informed.

I would definitely try to test drive the original Tesla Roadster. For reference I have been driving an original NSX for 23 years and found the Tesla Roadster to be both analog and digital if that makes sense.

Getting in and out can be a bit of a chore and much like my NSX the steering has no assist

That said it's a hoot to drive and I'm in the process of selling my NSX right now so that I can purchase an original Roadster

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I just want a really cool daily driver that will last me five to ten years.

there are plenty of threads regarding experiences of enthusiast drivers, purists, manual fanatics etc...going to tesla. I myself have been driving manuals exclusively for the past 25yrs, all modified, some heavily modified, auto-x pretty competitively, did bunch of HPDE events. IMO I don’t think there’s a better daily driver than the performance model 3.

BUT if you want a car that will last 5-10 yrs...might have to re-eval your expectations. How many miles a year do you drive? Are you looking closer to the 5yr or 10yr? 5 hrs yeh....10 years be cautious. We just don’t know how long the battery will last. Others will say, you can replace the battery and pretty much have a brand new car. Sure...but no one can say how soon that will need to be or how much it’ll cost you. 10 hrs is a long time.

Reactions: tvad