Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need y’all’s help please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is the science behind that? I don’t want to spend 300+ and the issue still be there
It's the physics of the thing. There is so much open space in the trunk that the cargo cover basically divides that space in two. Also most of the time the issue is because of the lift gate is not making full contact with the bumper. With the cargo cover in place, that portion of the lift gate is basically in its own contained area.

People have installed cargo covers and reported a reduction in sound. If all else fails you can give it a try.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4 and atlchamp
It's the physics of the thing. There is so much open space in the trunk that the cargo cover basically divides that space in two. Also most of the time the issue is because of the lift gate is not making full contact with the bumper. With the cargo cover in place, that portion of the lift gate is basically in its own contained area.

People have installed cargo covers and reported a reduction in sound. If all else fails you can give it a try.
Thank you for the info

atlchamp, I’m new to TMC. I’m was a big fan of Tesla until I picked up my second one, a M-Y 4 days ago on Sat. 8/27/22. I’ve had problems since then. Your original post perfectly described one of my problems. I experience the same sensation of my ears popping as if a window is slightly open while driving at highway speeds. Of course the windows are closed and it happens even at low speeds. My other problem is a misaligned hood and rear hatch (and both front doors!) and other cosmetic issues. I wonder if the misaligned hatch or doors contribute to the strange sensation. I’ve scheduled a Service appointment. Please let us what works for you.

Reactions: atlchamp

Do you have a link to that cargo cover that I can communicate with the Tesla service team about?

With all due respect it’s absolutely ridiculous that I need to go buy PVC and build some *sugar* by hand to fix a 70k car
As you have stated other passengers have not felt the same concern is it Possible it may be something medical for you and not the car? It’s a quiet car, so ambient noise is much different. Have you considered an ear exam for a possible infection or other inner ear issue? You asked for Other suggestions…

atlchamp,
I don't feel any ear pops, so my thoughts are based entirely on what I read here.

People describe ear pops like what we feel in the airplane or when we ascend or dissent a tall mountain. That means air pressure changes, not noise of suspension, tires, etc.

Air pressure is positive in the front of the car (air is pushing inside the salon) and negative behind the car (sucking air out). If the rear hatch door has an air leak it would suck air out creating negative pressure inside the passenger compartment. To test this we either need to seal the door or to increase positive pressure to compensate.

Things to try:

When you travel at highway speed and feel ear pops try to turn AC to vent from outside and increase fan speed. It should increase positive pressure and compensate for possible air leak. It's not meant to be a solution, just to identify the problem.

You have all 4 stops of the rear door pressing hard when closed. Try to screw the stops in. If the air leak is the problem and stops don't allow the door to press hard enough over insulator then you may have an air gap.

If the rear hatch door moves when the car drives over bumps then it would increase/decrease air pressure inside when the car moves up and down. If this is the case then try to identify when you get an ear pop, at high speed or when going over the bumps?

1661964262421.png

Last edited:
Science? Open cabins (SUVs, "station wagons") are by their nature prone to more noise. Having a firm cargo cover, that virtually seals the open space, CAN reduce noise.

So, here we are, 60+ posts, you haven't solved your problem, you think it's "ridiculous" when offered a possible solution that, for sure, requires a bit of time an effort. Maybe it's time to move on. Sorry about that.

So an update for everyone:

Sitting at a red light today I noticed that when I move my head up and down that the windshield becomes blurry in different parts of it. I realized that the windshield even though it was crystal clear, had distortion in it and that was making me nauseous. I went online and found several posts on this very forum and reddit where people have complained about distorted windshields giving them headaches and causing dizziness and nauseous feelings. I am almost 100% sure this is what is causing me to get dizzy when I drive and it may not be related to the hatch.

For everyone dealing with this, go to a parking lot, facing some trees or a building with lettering on it and just move your head around and see if things look clear or distorted.

I am shocked with this self discovery

here is my video of it:

Here is another example of it from another Tesla owner:

Here is a post about it with some example pictures: Windshield Protective Film

Last edited:
So an update for everyone I noticed sitting at a red light today when I move my head up and down that the windshield became blurry in different parts of it. I realized that the windshield even though it was crystal clear head distortion in it and that was making me so nauseous. I went online and found several posts on this very forum and read it where people have complained about distorted windshields giving them headaches and causing dizziness and nauseous feelings. I am almost 100% sure this is what is causing me to get dizzy when I drive and it may not be related to the hatch.

For everyone dealing with this, go to a parking lot, facing some trees or a building with lettering on it and just move your head around and see if things look clear or distorted.

I am shocked with this self discovery
Yeah I've read about distorted windshields before. If you believe this is the issue then raise a support ticket with the service center and push for a windshield replacement as it's a hazard for you to be driving while dizzy.

Distorted windshields show up now and then, across all auto manufacturers, who all source their windshields from 2 or 3 manufacturers, IIRC.

Have it checked out by the SC. I would even recommend a casual "drop in" at the SC, which might require some wait time until you have a service advisor give it a preliminary check.

I hope this is your problem, a replacement is installed, and you can be on your way, enjoying your new car!

Reactions: atlchamp
Distorted windshields show up now and then, across all auto manufacturers, who all source their windshields from 2 or 3 manufacturers, IIRC.

Have it checked out by the SC. I would even recommend a casual "drop in" at the SC, which might require some wait time until you have a service advisor give it a preliminary check.

I hope this is your problem, a replacement is installed, and you can be on your way, enjoying your new car!
I hope so too! I really want to love my model Y!

How is this happening for a car $60-70K dollars? distorted windshields, where is the QC?

Reactions: ElectricIAC