Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need y’all’s help please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I have a 2022 model Y performance and I love everything about the car except one thing, the actual driving experience.

I’ve had the car since June and I love how it looks and how fast it is and the technology that’s in it but when I drive the thing, I am constantly having to pop my ears and I always feel pressure in my head and around my eyes which makes me dizzy the longer I drive. I’ve seen numerous posts on Reddit posts about adding vinyl tubing to the hatch area and playing with the hatch stops and even though I tried that, nothing has helped.

My ask of the Tesla community is to let me know what else I can try before I have to start considering trading it in for something else.

Would downsizing the wheels from 21 to 19 help or would changing the suspension help with that? I am so stuck on what to do and I don’t want to easily give up and trade the car in because I really do love Tesla and the community.

Thank you all!
So, here's a solution set for the ear problem. WWII German Stuka pilots intentionally ruptured their eardrums during WW2 to prevent air pressure issues. The Bajau people of the Pacific rupture their eardrums to facilitate diving and hunting at sea.
Just kidding of course.

Have you been in other Model Ys and do they all cause you this problem? If you haven't driven other MYs, maybe see if you can test drive a couple and if they all give you the same problem then maybe it's an issue with the car's design that's somehow not compatible with you and you just have to sell it. Also, do other people feel the same thing while riding in your car or driving it?

I remember reading about the ear pain on these forums a while back and did notice that I can feel a bit of pressure change when the car goes over some bumps. But it wasn't anything that bothered me and I forgot about it pretty quick. So I can definitely see this being an issue for some people.

atlchamp: How many miles on your car? What kind of road surfaces are you traveling on?

Tires and suspension will soften with mileage, but probably not until 2-3k miles.

Even after installing MPP coilovers, now at 31k miles total, and a new set of much softer Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4s (19"), there's still a stretch of concrete surface near my home that creates a muted boominess, reminiscent of my original issues.

The service appointment has been created, but I won’t be seen for three weeks and then on top of that I have a big feeling that I’m going to go to the service center and they will look at me crazy because this is an issue that is so hard to explain, and the service technician may not be able to replicate how I feel personally when the car is driven

I just feel like I’m in a major dilemma here because this is not like a rattle or a vibration, or a specific noise that can be heard consistently so that the technician could know if it’s been resolved or not.

atlchamp: How many miles on your car? What kind of road surfaces are you traveling on?

Tires and suspension will soften with mileage, but probably not until 2-3k miles.

Even after installing MPP coilovers, now at 31k miles total, and a new set of much softer Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4s (19"), there's still a stretch of concrete surface near my home that creates a muted boominess, reminiscent of my original issues.
I have 3500 miles on the car and I’m traveling on different types of road services sometimes uneven bumpy roads and then sometimes smooth roads

Have you been in other Model Ys and do they all cause you this problem? If you haven't driven other MYs, maybe see if you can test drive a couple and if they all give you the same problem then maybe it's an issue with the car's design that's somehow not compatible with you and you just have to sell it. Also, do other people feel the same thing while riding in your car or driving it?

I remember reading about the ear pain on these forums a while back and did notice that I can feel a bit of pressure change when the car goes over some bumps. But it wasn't anything that bothered me and I forgot about it pretty quick. So I can definitely see this being an issue for some people.
Other people that have ridden with me I have not noticed the noise, but I think that’s because they are in the car for a very limited amount of time compared to me

It's also possible that the added weight, and the added sound-absorbing surfaces, alters the sound you're hearing.

Have you read through ALL of the threads on this? Isn't there one about an owner who engineered a more firm bump stop out of PVC?

It's also possible that the added weight, and the added sound-absorbing surfaces, alters the sound you're hearing.

Have you read through ALL of the threads on this? Isn't there one about an owner who engineered a more firm bump stop out of PVC?
With all due respect it’s absolutely ridiculous that I need to go buy PVC and build some *sugar* by hand to fix a 70k car

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Other people that have ridden with me I have not noticed the noise, but I think that’s because they are in the car for a very limited amount of time compared to me
I think it's worth figuring out if it's an issue with the Model Y's design that affects you (and some others) specifically, or if it's an issue with your specific Model Y. If it's the former, your only real option is to sell the car. I guess if it's possible see if the SC will let you test drive a couple of different Model Y's they have. Also, maybe you can let different family members or friends drive your car for a while and see if they experience the same thing.