Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I ordered a Performance 3. The car at delivery was an AWD.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Price to go to x-drive on the BMW is $2500 not $6,000.

x-drive offers no power increase just adds about 200 lbs of weight and more traction.

Tesla adds over 100 horsepower (I'd say very conservatively) and 200 lbs weight. It should be way more than .5 seconds faster in a spring than the RWD model.
It is way faster than the RWD model, just not from 0-60. After 60mph it is very close to the P model. It produces almost the same HP at higher speeds but less torque at lower speeds.
I'd like to see some evidence that the P produces more power from the rear motor than the LR. It appears that it's only 50% more powerful than the LR. I see no reason not to believe that the 50% more power doesn't come ENTIRELY from the front motor. Why add a heavy front motor to the car and not use it?

Price to go to x-drive on the BMW is $2500 not $6,000.

x-drive offers no power increase just adds about 200 lbs of weight and more traction.

Tesla adds over 100 horsepower (I'd say very conservatively) and 200 lbs weight. It should be way more than .5 seconds faster in a spring than the RWD model.
That seems pretty comparable to me, well, actually a better value.

It is way faster than the RWD model, just not from 0-60. After 60mph it is very close to the P model. It produces almost the same HP at higher speeds but less torque at lower speeds.
I'd like to see some evidence that the P produces more power from the rear motor than the LR. It appears that it's only 50% more powerful than the LR. I see no reason not to believe that the 50% more power doesn't come ENTIRELY from the front motor. Why add a heavy front motor to the car and not use it?
Seems likely.

So, if there are indeed two separate motors (one for performance and one for non-performance) and depending on the cost difference between the two, it might be better for Tesla to just build one motor!

That way, they can software limit it for the non-performance models and only have to build one motor!

It would help with part/motor replacements later!

Also, Tesla could have you pay extra later if you decide you want the performance from it!

The only way to settle the issue would be to check the part number of the drive units on AWD and P cars produced around the same time. If they are identical with no extra notation for the P, then I guess it's only software.
Unless the difference is incorporated into the serial # of the drives.!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
The warranty is the same so what difference does it make? If they used below par motors and you start showing evidence of motor failure it's on them not you. All the motors should be engineered to accept way more power before being physically damaged than the control system allows them to have. That is just an engineering best practice.

It is likely the performance is battery limited as much as motor limited. So it is possible the RWD gets the same energy as the AWD. And the P models are allowed a higher C rate discharge.

Last edited:
It is likely the performance is battery limited as much as motor limited. So it is possible the RWD gets the same energy as the AWD. And the P models are allowed a higher C rate discharge.
Peak power in P and AWD are nearly identical if not identical (1/4 mile trap speeds are almost the same). 0-60 is definitely not battery limited as the car doesn't even hit peak power until nearly 60mph.

Reactions: neroden
DC4CDB05-5097-4D98-9E9E-4B8312B14C66.jpeg
I got home delivery on my P3D-, MSM, white interior. The delivery guy is nice but knows little about the operation of the car or about anything else. But he is an electrical engineer so I’m totally fine with it.
I saw on the sticker that it is LOng Range AWD $19000. I have performance LONG Rang and paid $29000. The guy just told me to call customer service.
I supposed to have unlimited supercharging and it is not on any record. So I don’t even know what I’m getting at this time.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
View attachment 338977 I got home delivery on my P3D-, MSM, white interior. The delivery guy is nice but knows little about the operation of the car or about anything else. But he is an electrical engineer so I’m totally fine with it.
I saw on the sticker that it is LOng Range AWD $19000. I have performance LONG Rang and paid $29000. The guy just told me to call customer service.
I supposed to have unlimited supercharging and it is not on any record. So I don’t even know what I’m getting at this time.

See my post earlier in the thread. To see if your car is actually configured as a performance model, hit the "T" on the display and see if it says Dual Motor with a red underline. If it does, then it should actually be configured as a performance model. If there is no red underline (and it doesn't drive like a performance), I'd be on the phone...

WRT to unlimited supercharging, that hasn't shown up on my account either and the display indicates that I'm getting charged at the supercharger. However, I have multiple emails with Tesla stating that I have free supercharging, and that it's going to be rectified in my account. Do you have something that indicates you should have free supercharging ( e.g. you ordered prior to 8/1 or you used a referral code and the referral is showing up in the account of the person who gave you the referral code)? In my case, I self-referred, and the referral does show up on my Tesla account page.

How can you tell if it drives like a performance car unless you've owned another P3D before? My P3D- doesn't seem that fast. Does that mean I didn't get performance?
Hit the “T” on the screen. If your car is configured as a P3D, you will see a red underline under Dual Motor. If there’s no red underline, your car is configured as a standard AWD model and the Tesla service center needs to install the correct software.