Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Ordered a Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never quite sure why the Taycan is compared to the MS. The Taycan really EV competition for GT barges like a Bentley Continental. Something for when we get old.
For us, the MS is the family hauler. The fact that it hauls ass in a straight line too is nice. And we have real performance cars for when we want to really drive.
The Taycan is neither here nor there - terribly packaged for a family car (even the Cross Tourismo has a tiny trunk and not enough back seat room) and is ponderous as a performance car. It’s just too much of a compromise. And the same old tech in a glossier package.

Do they send you a photo of a mine when they are extracting the iron ore as well? :)
That happens before you order the car, but more importantly before it enters into the car parts and tracking system, so no iron ore pictures for you :)

That said, Porsche has a very intricate parts tracking system. They have an exact part list of every part that was installed in your car during production. It is needed with the number of options they have available. Making pictures available to customers is just an extension of what they already have in place at the Taycan factory.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Never quite sure why the Taycan is compared to the MS. The Taycan really EV competition for GT barges like a Bentley Continental. Something for when we get old.
For us, the MS is the family hauler. The fact that it hauls ass in a straight line too is nice. And we have real performance cars for when we want to really drive.
The Taycan is neither here nor there - terribly packaged for a family car (even the Cross Tourismo has a tiny trunk and not enough back seat room) and is ponderous as a performance car. It’s just too much of a compromise. And the same old tech in a glossier package.

I agree that I don't think they are necessarily comparable, only in the sense that they are both electric. I think if it's just 1-2 people with around town driving and luxury/build quality is a priority, Taycan is the right car. If you want to be going on road trips with more storage and capacity for people, that's what Tesla is there for. Taycan definitely isn't a family car and I probably would not have purchased one 6 years ago when I got my MS.

The Taycan Cross Turismo actually compares well with the Model S. I've done the comparison for my purposes. I want a single car which is fun to drive including good acceleration and handling, one I can occasionally track, but can also be a commuter, bring the family to a restaurant, or haul a cart full of Costco shopping. When I was younger, no family, I did keep two cars (e.g. Porsche 911 and and Toyota 4Runner) but at my current stage of life I don't even have anywhere to park 2 cars just for me (wife and kids have their own cars, parking is tight as is). Model S fit he bill for a while. Taycan CT fits my requirements it even better. While the Taycan CT trunk is a third smaller, I wouldn't call it tiny (quick googling of specs yields 445/1212L vs. 709/1739L for rear_seats_up/folded). As a family car, rear wheel steering makes it much more maneuverable for those trips to the mall or fitting into the garage parking spots (Taycan and Model S are almost identical size). It hauls ass on a straight line or around the bend too, and it brakes great too. As for the back seat, neither Model S or Taycan CT are super comfortable for 4 adults on long trips. My wife doesn't like to ride on the back of the Model S for more than 20 minute rides either, so even though Taycan actually seems to have more legroom for passengers with the way I like to have my driver seat back because Porsche passengers sit lower than in the Model S, nobody will probably ride on the back of mine for more than an hour at a time. EQS would be a better choice there, or Model X if you want an SUV.

Last edited:
Reactions: holmgang
Battery cells. BMW does the same thing.

This is what irks me about some Germans. Their thinking is still not clear on how to make a really good EV.

my next car will either be MBZ EQE sedan, Taycan, or i4. Either they have this rear floor hump, or no frunk. Go figure. 😌
Porsche is moving batteries/BMS hardware from the pack to the "hump" so rear passengers knees are not going into their torsos; very uncomfortable if you have spent any time sitting as a rear MS passenger. Lucid does the same thing with their battery packs, though they don't use a rear "hump," they seem to use the space beneath the forward center console.

Porsche Taycan Battery Pack

Lucid Air Battery Pack

I do not see the "hump" as a big deal as the rear-center seat is pretty much unusable and it's an option not a standard feature. I find the Taycan rear seat much more comfortable than our Model S rear seats which feels like they are folding the passenger into a "C"-shape; seems to be more uncomfortable the taller the rear passenger is.

Tesla seems to prioritize their elegant engineering design above passenger comfort in the Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
I was test driving a Taycan Cross Turismo recently. Not sure why you'd say "tiny trunk". Here it is next to a Model S trunk.

1654757512318.png

On paper, the Taycan trunk volume is a ~1/3 less, but I realized when comparing the two side by side why that is - the under the floor storage in the Taycan, while there, is very shallow (side note, this was the Turbo model, apparently non-Turbo have a bit more storage), while the Model S is very deep. I haven't measured and calculated, but it seems that the vast majority of the Model S advantage in trunk volume comes from the under-floor storage. Useful to have, I admit, but the part above the floor is almost the same. Heck, my Model S doesn't have premium audio so I have even more room under the floor, but I don't see many Tesla buyers advising against premium audio for extra storage space (I suspect the official volume as advertised by Tesla assumes no premium audio).
As for "packaged for a family car", I compared the rear passenger leg room. Huge difference with Taycan having a lot more room that I expected. I set both the driver seats in a position I usually drive in, then climbed behind the driver seat. On the model S I was cramped and could not sit with my legs straight, in the Taycan I could and I had another 2 inches at least between my knees and the back of the driver's seat.

The one thing Tesla has that Porsche doesn't - ability to manufacture in volume. I've been waiting a year now, and best case scenario another year before delivery. I could get a Plaid in just a few months. I was able to test drive the Porsches however, while Tesla does not offer the Plaid for test drives - the yoke would probably would turn off too many customers (hence they also got rid of the 7 days money back satisfaction guaranteed if you did not get to test drive before buying policy, or was that because of initial quality issues).

Last edited:
Reactions: David29
I was test driving a Taycan Cross Turismo recently. Not sure why you'd say "tiny trunk". Here it is next to a Model S trunk.

View attachment 814473

On paper, the Taycan trunk volume is a ~1/3 less, but I realized when comparing the two side by side why that is - the under the floor storage in the Taycan, while there, is very shallow (side note, this was the Turbo model, apparently non-Turbo have a bit more storage), while the Model S is very deep. I haven't measured and calculated, but it seems that the vast majority of the Model S advantage in trunk volume comes from the under-floor storage. Useful to have, I admit, but the part above the floor is almost the same. Heck, my Model S doesn't have premium audio so I have even more room under the floor, but I don't see many Tesla buyers advising against premium audio for extra storage space (I suspect the official volume as advertised by Tesla assumes no premium audio).
As for "packaged for a family car", I compared the rear passenger leg room. Huge difference with Taycan having a lot more room that I expected. I set both the driver seats in a position I usually drive in, then climbed behind the driver seat. On the model S I was cramped and could not sit with my legs straight, in the Taycan I could and I had another 2 inches at least between my knees and the back of the driver's seat.

The one thing Tesla has that Porsche doesn't - ability to manufacture in volume. I've been waiting a year now, and best case scenario another year before delivery. I could get a Plaid in just a few months. I was able to test drive the Porsches however, while Tesla does not offer the Plaid for test drives - the yoke would probably would turn off too many customers (hence they also got rid of the 7 days money back satisfaction guaranteed if you did not get to test drive before buying policy, or was that because of initial quality issues).
Well, call it tiny or not, its just too small for me - too narrow and too shallow - as the Tesla is our primary family car. And so is the back seat. I raise the front seats in the Tesla so that you can slip your feet under, btw.

View attachment 814473

That is very nice car, I almost bought it. While waiting for Plaid, test drove Taycan but not CT (was not available). It felt closer to M3, I had both at that time.
Ended up waiting for Plaid, maybe next time. Another consideration is that CT clocks in at $190k versus $136k. Range is about 100 miles better.

View attachment 814473

Coincidentally, Bjorn Nyland just posted his "banana box test" of the Gran Turismo. He got 8 in the trunk (with 1 of those in the frunk) and 20 with the seats folded. The Model S (facelift version) is (only) a tad better at 8 and 22. Video at
Chart of all his related test results is linked in the Description.
He's also just posted videos of the GT with range tests, charging text, child seat fitting, couple more.

Well, call it tiny or not, its just too small for me - too narrow and too shallow - as the Tesla is our primary family car. And so is the back seat. I raise the front seats in the Tesla so that you can slip your feet under, btw.
Everyone has different requirements. I'm sure drivers of smaller statue would be comfortable with the seat all the way forward and raised to the max, which would leave plenty of room for Model S passengers too. I personally prefer to have my driver's seat in a position which I like to drive in, which is not raised up or pushed forward, which leaves the passengers cramped. Taycan CT allows both me and the passengers to be comfortable, making it a better fit for this purpose. The trunk space a less on paper, but excluding the under floor storage is practically the same, and most importantly sufficient for my uses. I honestly cannot recall anything specific I would carry in my Model S which would fit in its trunk but not in the Taycan CT trunk.

Last edited:
That is very nice car, I almost bought it. While waiting for Plaid, test drove Taycan but not CT (was not available). It felt closer to M3, I had both at that time.
Ended up waiting for Plaid, maybe next time. Another consideration is that CT clocks in at $190k versus $136k. Range is about 100 miles better.
After being a Tesla customer since 2013, I was already looking for an alternative to Tesla for various reasons I don't need to rehash in this post. While I love the way the Model S drives (I have Ludicrous and sport plus suspension), the latest Taycan CT with features such as rear wheel steering or dynamic chassis control, drives so much better. As a side note, I didn't love the Taycan when it first came out, but Porsche fixed all the issues I had with it in the current iteration (such as the 2 gear transmission, used to be jarring when shifting, but since then they smoothed it out to the point where you don't even notice it unless you really pay attention). I was a little tempted to pick up a Plaid due to very long waits for the Taycan, but the stalkless yoke solved this dilemma for me - made the Plaid a non-starter. I hear you on the price though, it ain't cheap, but YOLO.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and doc5339
Coincidentally, Bjorn Nyland just posted his "banana box test" of the Gran Turismo. He got 8 in the trunk (with 1 of those in the frunk) and 20 with the seats folded. The Model S (facelift version) is (only) a tad better at 8 and 22. Video at
Chart of all his related test results is linked in the Description.
He's also just posted videos of the GT with range tests, charging text, child seat fitting, couple more.
Banana growers of the world unite!! :)

After being a Tesla customer since 2013, I was already looking for an alternative to Tesla for various reasons I don't need to rehash in this post. While I love the way the Model S drives (I have Ludicrous and sport plus suspension), the latest Taycan CT with features such as rear wheel steering or dynamic chassis control, drives so much better. As a side note, I didn't love the Taycan when it first came out, but Porsche fixed all the issues I had with it in the current iteration (such as the 2 gear transmission, used to be jarring when shifting, but since then they smoothed it out to the point where you don't even notice it unless you really pay attention). I was a little tempted to pick up a Plaid due to very long waits for the Taycan, but the stalkless yoke solved this dilemma for me - made the Plaid a non-starter. I hear you on the price though, it ain't cheap, but YOLO.
The Taycan is really almost a 2+2. I'm 6'5" and in my comfortable seating position in my Plaid there's still room for a mid 5' human to sit behind me, whereas that's not the case in a Taycan. Not only that, I can fold the rear seats down in the Plaid without moving my driver's seat forward, a first for me in any car. Also, I still never had enough leg room in the Taycan in the driver's seat, no matter how much I adjusted it. The Plaid has so much room by comparison. I never drove the Taycan CT, but I did drive the regular Turbo S. I did not care for the 2-speed transmission at all (for me it's the antithesis of what makes electric really special).

That said, fit and finish is a world apart from the Plaid, not to mention the driving dynamics. But... no one-pedal driving is another deal killer, and accelerative performance isn't in the same ballpark as a Plaid. For the price, it ought to be...

The Taycan is really almost a 2+2. I'm 6'5" and in my comfortable seating position in my Plaid there's still room for a mid 5' human to sit behind me, whereas that's not the case in a Taycan.
Interesting. I'm under 6' and in my 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2018 Model S'es when I set my seat to the way I drive, I cannot sit straight behind, but no problems with the Taycan. The new refreshed S must have a lot more room, or you like to sit close to the steering wheel and/or high. Still not enough of a reason for me to get it. If Tesla starts selling it with a regular, stalked steering wheel and proper brakes, I might reconsider, given the long wait times for the Taycan.

Not only that, I can fold the rear seats down in the Plaid without moving my driver's seat forward, a first for me in any car.
I have been able to lay down the seats in the all my Model S (pre yoke versions) - the headrest touches the driver seat on the way down, but it makes it. Darn, I wish we had this conversation before, I would have checked this on the Taycan (I did put the seats down to see the room, but that was before I drove it so don't remember the front seat positions).

I did drive the regular Turbo S. I did not care for the 2-speed transmission at all (for me it's the antithesis of what makes electric really special).
What year was the Taycan? I also HATED the 2 speed transmission in a couple of Taycans I've driven before, but when test driving the 22 Taycan Turbo CT, I did not even notice it shifting (and I did floor it a few times in Sport Plus mode testing highway speeds acceleration where the previous Taycans jolted unpleasantly but the new one was butter smooth like Tesla). Not sure what Porsche did, but the shift jolt was not present in my fairly spirited drive (in Sport Plus mode). That and they fixed the hill hold, which in first year Taycans was just horrible.

But... no one-pedal driving is another deal killer
I know some people are really into it. Personally I can drive either, but from an engineering point of view I prefer the Taycan blended braking better. First, it's up to 260KW regen, vs. Tesla only ~60KW - the engineer in me likes it better. From a user point of view, the blended braking offers the same feeling regardless of outside temperature battery state of charge. It is a bit of a pet peeve of mine when it's cold outside or the car is charged to high SoC, the one-pedal driving braking is significantly reduces or non-existent, which makes the car feel different for the first few miles of driving. Last but not least, coasting requires precision accelerator pedal control with one-pedal driving. Not impossible, but obviously requires more effort and I bet you will never get it perfect so that you don't end up unnecessarily braking when intending to just coast.

Side note, Taycan does have regen setting where it can regen when you pull the foot of the pedal, but it's very weak, so no Tesla one-pedal driving. I hear Mercedes EQS has both, blended brakes and one-pedal driving, and you can choose which one you like. I test drove it once, but forgot to test that feature.

and accelerative performance isn't in the same ballpark as a Plaid. For the price, it ought to be...
Absolutely! There is no beating the Plaid in straight line acceleration. I would love it if Porsche offered a 1000hp version of the Taycan (without Launch Mode though, as I have no interest in drag racing, hence I have no interest in Taycan Turbo S as the extra power over the Turbo is only for Launch Mode). Maybe by the time they manage to build me one there will be a new more powerful version (probably not, but who knows, at least the matrix headlights will be enabled by then almost for sure).

The trunk space a less on paper, but excluding the under floor storage is practically the same, and most importantly sufficient for my uses. I honestly cannot recall anything specific I would carry in my Model S which would fit in its trunk but not in the Taycan CT trunk.
Mountain Bikesx2, tower speakers, ladder, full set of winter wheels/tires, ficus tree - and that was just last week 😊. For me that trunk is tiny with the seats up and not just on paper. And with the seats down - feels an order of magnitude smaller.

BTW, I sit with elbows and knees at 120 °. Lots of room behind me. Your Taycan seems to be an inadvertent long wheel base version and your Model S a Model 3 😂.

Put another way - not sure why would I want a Taycan if I had a Model S? It certainly doesn’t drive particularly well on a proper road - like all “super-SUVs” sold at a premium for their alleged driving cred.

Last edited:
Put another way - not sure why would I want a Taycan if I had a Model S?
Different people, different priorities. I would explain you mine, but you wouldn't agree anyways if you think a Model S handles better than a Taycan.

While I was at the Porsche dealership recently, Tesla's, mostly Model S was the most common car in the parking lot there on a weekend afternoon. I asked the sales guy about it, he said Model S is their most common trade-in. He also said that they love it because used Model S just fly off the lot almost as soon as they get them, so a win-win for them - sell a new Porsche, make some extra money on the trade-in without long waits. Bottom line, apparently switching from Model S to a Porsche is more common than any other make/model.

Last edited:
Different people, different priorities. I would explain you mine, but you wouldn't agree anyways if you think a Model S handles better than a Taycan.
Sorry for the back and forth but to reiterate my earlier point, regarding “handling. In the big scheme of things Taycans and MS are similar. I also have a Mac, and an Atom, for proper driving on the road, and the track, respectively. Taycans, Teslas, fat SUVs really don’t “handle” - they are just too heavy period - tires protest loudly and give at every properly taken curve. Think Titanic.

But the Tesla makes for a great commuter, efficient and effortlessly powerful when you need it to be, with lots of room in the back for the trip to the home depot store or road trip, and lots of entertainment options. Think Titanic here too.

Last edited:
While I was at the Porsche dealership recently, Tesla's, mostly Model S was the most common car in the parking lot there on a weekend afternoon. I asked the sales guy about it, he said Model S is their most common trade-in. He also said that they love it because used Model S just fly off the lot almost as soon as they get them, so a win-win for them - sell a new Porsche, make some extra money on the trade-in without long waits. Bottom line, apparently switching from Model S to a Porsche is more common than any other make/model.
Very similar in the UK. Additionally, there’s been a lot of pent-up demand for a luxury BEV, and Teslas haven’t been considered to be luxuy enough (though Tesla M3‘s are best-sellers). Taycans are very common here in the south Manchester (UK) area. Passing them in the Mac is a personal hobby 😉.